Monday 6 January 2020

My Top 10 K-pop Albums of 2019

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
Back on the 7th of January 2019, I said I was excited to see what 2019 would bring in the world of K-pop, I also predicted it would be eventful but I never imagined how eventful it actually turned out to be. There were highs, lows and heartbreak as we sadly had to say a tearful farewell to both Sulli and Goo Hara, who sadly had taken their own lives after getting an immense amount of hateful comments on anything and everything they did, the only positive thing to come out of their passing is that S.Korea now seems to be taking more of a stand when it comes to hate comments online, mental health and the well being of idols, it was reported to be called Sulli's Law and I hope it remains that way.
Groups disbanded, as well as new groups debuting along with solo debuts, groups got their well deserved 1st wins, sadly still waiting for Dreamcatcher's, TRCNG finally made their return, I got into more groups and singers and sadly members left groups. October saw Hwall leave The Boyz, Woojin leave Stray Kids and the most heartbreaking for me, Wonho leave MONSTA X, then in November we saw the departure of Wooyeop and Taeseon from TRCNG as they filed a lawsuit against TS Entertainment for child abuse.
While a lot was going on and the darker side of K-pop was being revealed more to the public, there was still amazing music being released, and that's why I'm here today, to share with you my Top 10 K-pop albums of 2019. I want to remind you that this is just my personal opinion, and I know not everyone will agree with my rankings, lets get this countdown started.

No.10
Starting off my countdown and coming in at No.10 we have Bang Yongguk with his solo debut full length album Bang Yongguk.

 When this album was released and I first listened to it, I knew it had to make an appearance somewhere on my countdown, not only because of how amazing it is but also because of how personal it is. I definitely believe this album was Yongguk's way of dealing with his mental health, as well as learning to live with it more positively instead of it making him feel that he was weak and couldn't fight it. Yongguk is now doing his military service and I hope when he returns we continue to see not only his softer and personal side in his music but also his bad ass side.
Hikikomori


대화가 필요해 (I Need To Talk)

No.9
Coming in at No.9 is Zelo with his solo debut mini album Distance.


 I was extremely excited when Zelo announced he was making his solo debut, the main thing I learnt from his solo debut is how much TS held him back even after finding out that he wanted to sing but they wanted to keep him focused on rapping and dancing, I always thought the companies were meant to help their idols grow not hold them back. This album really allowed Zelo to shine as a soloist, I love each song on the album it really shows a new side of him.
알고싶어 (Questions)

Be Better

No.8
Coming in at No.8 we have Stray Kids and their 4th mini album Cle 1: Miroh.


This is the album that made me realise how much I had been sleeping on Stray Kids, the album from start to finish is amazing and really shows how talented Bang Chan, Han and Changbin are. I'm definitely going to miss Woojin's voice in their future releases but they've definitely shown with their latest release that they're stronger than ever and even more determined. I was in love with Miroh from the moment I first heard and saw the M/V, then I saw Victory Song which made me decide to take the plunge and buy the album to check the rest of the songs out and lets just say I wasn't disappointed, it really is an amazing album and once you enter the Stray Kids maze (I'm sure only Stays will get this joke) you ain't getting out.
Miroh

Maze of Memories

No.7
Next in at No.7 we have Dreamcatcher and their 5th mini album and King's raid special album Raid of Dream.


 This is by far Dreamcatcher's best album, it made me excited for when they make another comeback, as with each comeback they get that little bit closer to their 1st music show win. I loved everything about this album, from the design of the album, the photo book to the songs on the album. They really excelled with this album, everything about it is aesthetically pleasing.
데자부 (Deja Vu)

Silent Night

No.6
Coming in at No.6 we have NCT Dream with their 3rd mini album We Boom.


I always love releases for the Dreamies, I'm gutted that we'll be saying farewell to 4 of the members this year as Haechan, Jeno, Jaemin and Renjun graduate from the group, I do hope we get to see them all together again in a fixed unit. As much as I didn't want to when they debuted I've loved every release from them and We Boom is my favourite as it shows a more mature side to boys, showing how much they've grown over the years, especially Jisung, he's been my bias for Dream since they debuted because he's just so adorable, while he'll always be my baby Jisuing, he's definitely maturing into an amazing young man. This album overall has done really well not only for NCT but for NCT Dream, showing how popular this young men really are.
Boom

119

No.5
Next and coming it at No.5 we have the Avengers of K-pop SuperM and their debut mini album SuperM.



 I was really excited when SM announced they were debuting a super group and that they were dubbed the Avengers of K-pop, I got even more excited when it was revealed that Marvel will be doing something with them too. I loved the explanation of why they were the Avengers of K-pop, many thought it was SM's way of trying to beat BTS but it's a simple as that like the Avenger's, the members come from amazing, popular and talented groups with members Kai and Baekhyun hailing from EXO, Taemin hailing from SHINee and Taeyong, Mark, Ten and Lucas hailing from NCT (and WayV). I was scared that with how much they were hyped up that I would be left underwhelmed from the album, but WOW! For me they really hit it out of the park. I still get goosebumps whenever I listen to this album and went the intro for Jopping starts. If the schedule I've seen is true, then we're meant to get their 2nd mini this year, and hopefully I will be seeing them perform in London in February, meaning after 5 years I'll finally be seeing members of EXO and SHINee live.
Jopping

I Can't Stand the Rain

No.4
Moving up one spot from last year, at No.4 we have Nam WooHyun and his 3rd mini album A New Journey.

 I had this album in repeat when it was first released, and to this day I still have days when I put it on and have it on repeat. I could listen to WooHyun's voice all day, he's definitely one of my favourite vocalists and this album definitely sealed his fate in being one of my favourite vocalists. This album from start to finish is stunning, his vocals, the melodies, it's all just a journey for the senses.
Hold On me

Crying Baby

No.3
Coming in at No.3, we have a new group I got into in 2019 and it's The Boyz with their 4th mini album Dreamlike.

I remember first hearing The Boyz back in 2018, when they were promoting their title track Giddy Up, I really liked the song but just didn't pay any more attention to them, till I started watching Simply K-pop and watching Kevin and Jacob present, they made me laugh, so when they started releasing new music I decided to check them out more. I'm glad I decided on a whim to buy Dreamlike as from start to finish it's perfection and purely amazing. As soon as I heard the album I knew it deserved and needed to be on my list. This album has definitely made me want to become part of The B, but I'm not quite there yet as I still only know Kevin and Jacob (I also know Hwall but that's sadly after he left), I actually found it hard to share only one of the b-sides on this album because they're all so good.
D.D.D

Complete Me

No.2
Coming in at No.2, and I'm sure there will be many surprised and annoyed that this isn't No.1, is BTS with their 6th mini album Map of the Soul: Persona.



As expected this album hit the ball out of the park, I expected nothing less from BTS. I feel like every time BTS release a new album I'm saying it's their best album yet, this is by far their best album, from start to finish this album makes me feel really nostalgic, each track when it starts gives me goosebumps. I can't wait for the next instalment and I hope we can give the boys their 2nd No.1 album here in the UK. I personally think this album will be one of those albums that stands the test of time and still sounds fresh and new 5 years, even 10 years down the line.
Boy With Luv
Mnet K-POP
Dionysus

Before I reveal who has taken the No.1 spot for 2019, here are a few honourable mentions.

Tomorrow X Together aka TXT with their 2nd mini album The Dream Chapter: Magic.
Google Images
When TXT debuted, I refused to fall for the hype and didn't watch any of the teasers that built up to their debut and decided I'd wait till the album and M/V was released, and I'm glad I did. With their 2nd mini album, I was blown away even more and thought this album was better than their debut, it sounded a little more mature than their debut, while still giving me vibes from the 80's/90's with their title track. TXT for me don't need the hype of being in the same company as BTS, they really stand apart from them and I can see great things happening for these young guys.
9와 4분의 3 승강장에서 너를 기다려 (Run Away)

Astro with their 1st full length album All Light.


 I fell in love with Astro during their Crazy, Sexy, Cool era and have loved their albums since. This album really did blow me away, I love All Night (전화해) as the title track, it showed a more sexy, mature and sultry side to them. The b-sides on the album range from sexy mature to bright and cutesy, which shows how versatile Astro really are. They've recently had a comeback with another amazing album but All Light holds more meaning for me as it's the album that made me an Aroha.
All Night (전화해)

Tiffany Young and her debut solo and English mini album Lips on Lips.

 This album made me realise how happy I was that Tiffany left SM Entertainment and headed back to America. Not only has she grown more with her vocals, but she's grown more as a performer as well as becoming even more inspirational to anyone and everyone. This album is the best I've ever heard her in her career, and I've been a SONE for 6 years. I honestly cannot wait to see what she has in store for us next, I hope we here more like Run For Your Life as damn that song screams sex appeal.
Born Again

Lastly NCT 127 with their 4th mini album We Are Superhuman.

 Superhuman has to be my favourite title track from NCT 127, and this album also contains my ultimate favourite song from NCT 127, Highway to Heaven. I'm always excited to see NCT 127 return as I've watched NCT since debut and each album as blown me away, but I feel We Are Superhuman was on another level with a brand new sound for the boys, showing they are versatile.
Superhuman

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

No.1
Taking my No.1 spot for the 2nd year in a row we have MONSTA X and their 7th mini album Follow: Find You.




I say this with every MONSTA X album but this really is their best album so far, what I love from this album is that even though it still has that MONSTA X vibe, it's a sound that we've never really had from them before. Compared to other albums this album is more of a chilled out album which is nice to see and shows they are talented in all aspects of their music. While I'm devastated Wonho is no longer a member, I will continue to support them, and hopefully Wonho will return to us one day whether it be a member of MONSTA X or a soloist.
Follow

Find You

Mirror

Well that concludes my Top 10 K-pop albums of 2019 list, I'm nervous but excited to see what 2020 will bring, I'm getting curious to hear MONSTA X's debut English album. I hope all groups and singers, have a successful year and here's to finding new groups to listen to and follow.

Who had the No.1 album for you in 2019?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment