Tuesday 28 May 2019

Tiffany Young - Lips On Lips

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



I'm so happy to be able to post not only about Tiffany's brand new album but also about a member of Girls Generation, I've kept no secret about how Girls Generation introduced me to K-pop and how they are my ultimate bias group. I was scared when it was announced that Tiffany hadn't renewed with SM Entertainment and was heading back home to head back to school to study acting, I was wondering when we'd get to see that eye smile of hers again, little did I know that a few months later she would return and start making her dreams come true again.

Lips On Lips is Tiffany's 2nd mini album, but her debut mini album in the US as well as her first release sung completely in English. Although Tiffany left SM Entertainment back in October 2017, she still remains as a member of Girls Generation, once she was back in America Tiffany joined Paradigm Talent Agency and signed with record label Transparent Arts.
On the 14th of March 2018, Tiffany released a cover of Remember Me from Disney's Coco.
Owned by Tiffany Young
On the 25th of June 2018, the audio teaser for Tiffany's 1st single Over My Skin was released.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 27th of June 2018, Tiffany's 1st single Over My Skin was digitally released.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 2nd of July 2018, we were treated to the Over My Skin dance rehearsal with choreography by Yanis Marshall.
Owned by Yanis Marshall
On the 1st of August 2018, the M/V for Over My Skin was released.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
Tiffany Young
On the 18th September 2018, Tiffany was on course to release her 2nd single with the release of Why Did You Do It? ("Teach you" M/V trailer 1)
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 22nd of September 2018, "Teach You" M/V (trailer 2) - Did He Cheat? was released, this time featuring Girls Generation members SooYoung and HyoYeon.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 28th of September 2018, Tiffany's 2nd single Teach You was released digitally along with the M/V. Later on the 29th of November 2018, Tiffany released her 3rd digital single Peppermint, as a Christmas gift for fans.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
The start of 2019 saw Tiffany renew her image and open up about past hardships with her father, which lead to the release of her 4th digital single Born Again, showing that she had moved past those hardships and was starting with a fresh start, the M/V for Born Again was released on the 25th of January, it was later revealed that Born Again would be on her upcoming English sung mini album.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 14th of February, as a gift to fans for Valentines Day, Tiffany released the audio for her title track Lips On Lips taken from her upcoming mini album.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts
On the 22nd/23rd of February, Tiffany's American debut mini album Lips on Lips was released digitally, with the M/V also being released on the same day. Later on the 15th of March Lips On Lips also got a physically release but with a limited distribution.
Owned by Tiffany Young/Transparent Arts

To promote the release of Lips on Lips, Tiffany went on a tour of 8 cities in North America called the Lips On Lips Mini Showcase Tour, she also headed back to Seoul for the showcase tour where she was presented with a plaque from Lips On Lips going platinum in it's first week of sales in South Korea.
The physical release of the album comes with 2 bonus tracks, which are her 1st two singles Over My Skin and Teach You.

Tiffany co-wrote on tracks Born Again, Lips On Lips, the Flower and Not Barbie as well as bonus tracks Over My Skin and Teach You.

Lips On Lips peaked at No.9 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart and No.8 on the Gaon Albums Chart
US Sales:
1,000+
Gaon Sales:
10,564+
Giving the album a total sales of 11,564+.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Over My Skin has gained 3,216,022 million views, Teach You has gained 7,121,845 million views, Born Again has gained 4,959,047 million views and Lips On Lips gaining 8,387,117 million views, with all the M/V's gaining views each day.

Lips On Lips is set out in a jewel Cd case contained in a card slipcase, the album comes with Cd, lyric booklet and 2 photocards.

Track List:
Born Again
Lips On Lips
The Flower
Not Barbie
Runaway ft. Babyface
*Cd Only*
Teach You
Over My Skin












In my personal opinion, Tiffany leaving SM is the best thing she could have done for her career, especially when it comes to her solo work, if she was still in SM right now we wouldn't have songs like Born Again or Not Barbie. Being an idol in South Korea means you can't really show your true self, you are given an image that you have to portray at all times. While in South Korea and promoting with Girls Generation, Tiffany was mainly known as the pink princess and the queen of eye smiles, while having to hide how her every move and song was looked over by her company. Lips On Lips has given Tiffany the opportunity to showcase her sexuality more instead of just being a K-pop princess, she's been able to show that she's her own person and property.
I love that the layout of the album is pretty simple, to me it puts more focus on the songs themselves, the pictures are absolutely gorgeous, but Tiffany is gorgeous anyway so I wasn't surprised.
No matter how many times I listen to it, I never get bored of Born Again, when I first heard it I was brought to tears, no matter what we go through, we all have that moment when the switch flicks and we start believing in ourselves again and feel that we have been reborn, I love the melody and the lyrics.
I absolutely love the beat for Lips On Lips, I love how catchy the chorus is and I can't help but sing along.
I love Tiffany's vocals in The Flower, I love how it blends in with the melody and would have to say my favourite part of that song is the chorus, I gasped when I heard her singing the chorus, it's such a beautiful song and it's a song that no matter who in your life, whether they be a friend, family member or lover, if they are having a low day, this song can remind them that you're always by their side if they need you.
Not Barbie is my favourite track from Lips On Lips, when I first heard this song and saw the lyrics, the first thing that popped into my head was that she's no longer a puppet, she can make her own choices as well as show who she really is instead of living how she believes she's meant to be seen. My daughter is close to being a teenager now and I know teenagers can be nasty about who you are or the way you look, so Not Barbie will be a song I play to her a lot if and when it comes to that moment. 
Tiffany and Babyface's vocals fit together perfectly for Runaway and I love that it's actually Babyface that starts the song, I love the flow of the song and the distribution of the lyrics, I'd love to see them perform this together one day.

Born Again


Lips On Lips


The Flower

Not Barbie

Runaway ft. Babyface

Teach You


Over My Skin

I've said it above and I'll say it again, leaving SM is the best thing Tiffany could have done for her solo career, I've noticed that her singing ability has improved a lot and not only has it improved, she seems so much more confident in her singing ability. I have no idea if it's because she's changed the tone she sings in, that she has more creative control in what she sings or just because they're all songs that are close to her heart, whatever it is I hope she keeps that mentality and continues to show everyone that she can stand on her own two feet when it comes to her vocals and her music.
If I had to compare I Just Wanna Dance and Lips On Lips, I would say Lips On Lips is my favourite release of hers, there's a maturity between those albums.
I can't help but feel a connection when I hear Tiffany's music, she helped me through a break up when she released What Do I Do at that moment in time the lyrics she sung were going through my head. The when she released Born Again, I realised I again connected with the lyrics after years of feeling uncomfortable in my skin, I was feeling like mentally I was "born again" and again when I heard Not Barbie, that song is how I live now, I'm not perfect but I'm me and there's only one of me.

Have you followed Tiffany from Girls Generation or are you a new fan?
Do you have a favourite song from Lips On Lips?
Are you a fan of Tiffany's new sound?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment