Monday 24 June 2019

Bang Yongguk - BANG YONGGUK

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


I've introduced you to Yongguk many times before through my posts on B.A.P, BANG YONGGUK, is his debut solo album since leaving TS Entertainment back in August 2018. Yongguk is the leader of B.A.P and ever since leaving TS Entertainment, he still calls himself B.A.P's leader as do the other members.
Let's start Yongguk's journey to his solo album debut, back on the 8th of April 2018, he released an M/V teaser for a song called Portrait.
Owned by Bang Yongguk
Just over 2 weeks later on the 25th of April 2018. the M/V for Portrait was released.
Owned by Bang Yongguk
A month later, Yongguk returned with a new song and M/V called Drunkenness.
Owned by Bang Yongguk
After 8 months on the 16th of January 2019, Yongguk teased his return with an M/V teaser for his track 히키코모리 (Hikikomori).
Owned by Bang Yongguk
Just 4 days later on the 20th of January 2019, the M/V for 히키코모리 (Hikikomori) was released.
Owned by Bang Yongguk
On the 25th of February 2019, Yongguk's first album was announced with A Short Film About Bang Yongguk '여행' (Journey(2019)).
Owned by Bang Yongguk
On the 10th of March 2019, just 5 days before the albums release an album preview was released.
Owned by Bang Yongguk
On the 15th of March 2019. Bang Yongguk's first full length album BANG YONGGUK was released physically and digitally.

Bang Yongguk as the artist he is wrote, composed and produced his whole album, which is the only way he could tell his story and journey.

*YouTube views are correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Portrait has gained 354,060 thousand views.
The M/V for 히키코모리 (Hikikomori) has gained 733,233 thousand views.
The Short Film has gained 163,236 thousand views.
All the views for each video is slowly gaining more views each day.

BANG YONGGUK was released in 2 versions: Standard Edition and Limited Edition.
The Standard Edition is set out in a spiral notebook and comes with a Cd, booklet and random photo bookmark.
The Limited Edition is set out as a spiral notebook in a box slipcase and comes with Cd, booklet, sticker sheet and postcard.
The booklets for both versions are very similar with slight differences, they both show Yongguk's notes from creating his songs and album as well as having similar pictures.

Track List:
Diary
대화가 필요해 (I Need To Talk)
히키코모리 (Hikikomori)
모조리 (Hot and Cold) ft. Sogumm
야해 (Ya)
Holiday ft. Paul Given
여행 (Journey)
Portrait (Re-Mastered)
Codex Gigas
AM 4:44 (Re-Mastered)
Xie Xie
See You Later
대화가 필요해 (I Need To Talk) instrumental
AM 4:44 instrumental
Xie Xie REMIX ft. Sway D, Liquor, LE















































I love the whole layout and setup of the album and I love that it's creation is inspired by his grandfather, given the concept of the songs he's created for this album and knowing his grandfather was his inspiration and seeing his notes as well as behind the scenes and personal pictures makes this a more personal album for him as well as his fans. As a BABY (B.A.P fan), listening to this album, personally for me knowing of his mental health issues, I found some of the songs a little hard to take, but I also found the album very empowering and brave coming from someone that as an idol is more reserved, shy, quiet and private and even though back in 2017, TS Entertainment announced that Yongguk was taking a break from B.A.P promotions due to a panic disorder, I don't think until this album we really got to see the extent of the battle that Yongguk was and is facing when it comes to his anxiety and depression.
I'm sure many readers know that there is still a stigma attached when it comes to mental health and depression, especially in South Korea, it's sad that even though many idols there have committed suicide that it wasn't until the passing of Jonghyun that the industry decided more needed to be done for those that were and are suffering when it comes to mental health. I wouldn't be surprised that the main cause for Yongguk was TS Entertainment, and with his departure from them he can feel that he can be more honest not only with himself but also but also those that listen to his music.
I think this album is not only his way of telling the world and those that love him and his music how he struggled with his mental health in the idol industry, but it's also a way for him to acknowledge his own mental health issues and not only overcome them but to help him learn to live with them more positively.
I was heartbroken when reading an article that stated that the basis of the track See You Later was taken from his Will that he'd written in his diary and that he wanted this song to be the last on the track list as he thought that this would be his final album that he would ever release, hinting that he may have thought about stepping away from music for good or maybe the worse scenario possible.
From start to finish I'm in love with this album and every time I listen to it, I fall in love with it even more and I'm sure everyone was pleasantly surprised when it was released as for me it's far from what we've heard from Yongguk while writing for B.A.P. I feel privileged to be able to listen to this album and hearing him open up about his struggles, songs I tend to listen to the most are 대화가 필요해 (I Need To Talk), 히키코모리 (Hikikomori), 모조리 (Hot and Cold) ft. Sogumm, 여행 (Journey), Portrait (Re-Mastered), Xie Xie and See You Later. As you may have noticed I have the Limited Edition version of the album, there was no way as a B.A.P and Yongguk fan that I wouldn't have the Limited Edition.

Diary

대화가 필요해 (I Need To Talk)

히키코모리 (Hikikomori)

모조리 (Hot and Cold) ft. Sogumm

야해 (Ya)

Holiday ft. Paul Given

여행 (Journey)

Portrait (Re-Mastered)

Codex Gigas

AM 4:44 (Re-Mastered)


See You Later


All the B.A.P members seem to be making the scary step into the next chapter of their careers and they all seem to be having fun in the process, all we're missing is an appearance by Himchan, I think this year though both Yongguk and Himchan will enlist for their military service so when they do I hope they stay safe and well.
Many people and websites have classed B.A.P as disbanded but the way I see it is that right now B.A.P is on hiatus, they may not return with the group name B.A.P but if anything I know they will return as all 6 of them have mentioned the desire to reunite in the future and release new music, if I believe anyone it's B.A.P and their leader Bang Yongguk "I’ve left the company, but I don’t think I’ve withdrawn from B.A.P. I still see myself as B.A.P’s leader. I still believe there’ll be a time where we make an album together.”

Thank You - 고맙습니다 - Bang Yongguk and B.A.P for being one of the reasons I overcame my own personal and emotional mental scars. I and other BABYs will always have our hands reached out always for all your hardships and celebrations.


Were you emotionally prepared for Bang Yongguk's album?
Is there a track that speaks personally to you?
Has Bang Yongguk and B.A.P helped you overcome any of your own emotional scars?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment