Monday 3 January 2022

My Top 15 K-pop Albums of 2021

+Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

2021 has been another year of amazing albums and debuts, but we've also had some shocking and heartbreaking disbandment's, which for me was GFriend, I've followed GFriend since their debut, so I was gutted to hear they had called it a day, but I am excited to see SinB, Eunha and Umji re-debut together as VIVIZ.
I've come to love more groups as well as being blown away by debuts from both male and female groups.
Today I'm going to share with you My Top 15 K-pop Albums from 2021, these 15 albums are albums that I couldn't stop listening to and they are the first albums that came to mind when I was thinking of this list.

Please remember that is is my own personal opinion, and I know what I love, someone else might not have been as fond of.

NO.15
Google Images
Coming in at No.15 is OnlyOneOf and their 3rd mini album Instinct Part. 1.

While I'd heard of OnlyOneOf, I couldn't say I was a fan, word started spreading about them because of their choreography for libidO, so I decided to check it out and I became obsessed with the song, so much so that on my Spotify Wrapped for 2021, it was my No.1 played song. The album itself is really good, I love that they kept to the concept, the theme runs throughout the album. I can't wait for them to return with Part. 2.
libidO
Owned by 8D Entertainment
byredO
Owned by 8D Entertainment

NO.14
Google Images
Coming in at No.14 we have PENTAGON with their 11th mini album LOVE or TAKE.



I've been familiar with PENTAGON since they released Shine back in 2018, but there was just something stopping me from wanting to really pay attention to them, I have liked past title tracks, but they did really catch my attention when they released their album LOVE or TAKE, because of the albums design, I'm a lover of Manga, Webtoons and Manhua's so I wanted to get my hands on this album for that alone. But I can honestly say this album made me start falling for them, which I'm sure my friend Mary-Kate was happy about. Every time I listen to this album, I fall in love with the tracks even more.
DO or NOT
Owned by Cube Entertainment
That's Me
Owned by Cube Entertainment

NO.13
Google Images
Coming in at No.13 we have D.O. with his solo debut mini album Empathy.

I think it's safe to say, as an EXO-L, we've waited a really long time for D.O. to officially make his solo debut, and I don't think he could have picked a better album to debut with. For me this album is a stripped back version of his vocals, we know he can belt out the high notes, but it's nice to hear him sing with different tones than what we're used to. We also got to hear him sing in both English and Spanish.
Rose
Owned by SM Entertainment
I'm Gonna Love You (Feat. Wonstein)

NO.12
Google Images
Coming in at No.12 we have Key with his 1st mini album Bad Love.
This album from start to finish is amazing, every time I listen to this album, I can't help myself but constantly comment how good it is. It has such a retro feel and I love how the album is packaged.
Bad Love
Owned by SM Entertainment
Helium

NO.11
Google Images
Coming in at No.11 with the debut mini album is Kingdom with History of Kingdom: Part 1. Arthur.

I think it's safe to say that KINGDOM are one of my favourite male groups to debut in 2021, their concept is so unique, each member represents a King from some time in history and first up we got to meet Arthur, with their following albums following the same concept of meeting the members one by one, so far we have met Arthur, Chiwoo and Ivan, our next meeting is with Dann. Their concept is so unique and their debut really blew me away, so much so they are one of my rookies to watch from 2021. I don't think I'll ever get bored of this group.
Excalibur
Owned by GF Entertainment
밤공기 (Night Air)

NO.10
Google Images
Coming in at No.10 we have Just B with their debut mini album Just Burn.
The main reason I was intrigued by Just B's debut was that I knew 2 of the members, I'd watched both Geonu and JM (Jimin) on I-Land, I'd even voted for Geonu to be put through to the 2nd part of the show, I was gutted when he was the first to be knocked out of part 2. Straight from their teasers I was hooked and couldn't wait for their debut and the more I watched them on their debut stages the more they reminded me of B.A.P's debut, in they way they wanted to be seen as a unit, a group and not stand out for the members who were already known. Another reason I was excited about their debut was because their title track was produced by B.A.P's leader Bang Yongguk. This album really blew me away and they are another group that are my rookies to watch in 2021.
Damage
Owned by Bluedot
Get Away

NO.9
Google Images
Coming in at No.9 is NCT with their 3rd full album NCT 2021 Universe.
From the very first listen of this album I was in love. It's completely different from their first 2 releases as a whole group, which I think shows how much they have grown both in their units groups and as a whole group, it's also the 2nd time we've gotten to see Sungchan and Shotaro since their debut last year, sadly this time round we were missing WinWin and Lucas, but each track knocked my socks off and had my full attention.
Universe (Let's Play Ball)
Owned by SM Entertainment
Beautiful
Owned by SM Entertainment

NO.8
Google Images
Coming in at No.8 we have ATEEZ and their 9th mini album Zero: Fever Epilogue.
ATEEZ are another group that I have started paying attention to this year, especially after watching them on Kingdom: Legendary War. The more I listened to them, the more I fell in love. I loved this album, especially with how the included their songs from Kingdom: Legendary War.
멋(The Real) (흥 : 興 Ver.)
Owned by KQ Entertainment
야간비행 (Turbulence)
Owned by KQ Entertainment

NO.7
Google Images
Coming in at No.7 we have ONF with their 1st full length album My Name.

I always forget that this album was released in 2021, with it being released in the first quarter of the year. I love this album from start to finish. ONF are another group that I really started to listen more to this year, especially because of this album, it really shows how versatile they are as a group and I love that we got unit songs. All the members now minus Japanese member U, have all gone to do their military service, so I hope U is able to go home for a while and see his family, and I can't wait for them all to return.
Beautiful Beautiful
Owned by WM Entertainment
My Name Is
Owned by WM Entertainment

NO.6
Google Images
Coming in at No.6 we have Seventeen and their 8th mini album Your Choice.



I always love Seventeen's albums, but this is the first album that I've really loved and couldn't get enough of for a while. This is definitely one of my favourite albums from Seventeen and especially my favourite of the albums they've released in 2021. As always I fell in love with the Performance Team's song as soon as I heard it.
Ready To Love
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
Heaven's Cloud

NO.5
Google Images
Coming in at No.5 we have Stray Kids with their 2nd full length album NOEASY.
NOEASY was a welcome return for Stray Kids as 8, after Hyunjin's hiatus. Each track is amazing and allows Stray Kids to do what they do best, with each track you know it's a sound that only Stray Kids could pull off. I was so happy for them when they won Kingdom: Legendary War, it's like it was their turning point to finally getting the interest and recognition that they deserve. I also love how different it is from their 1st album.
소리꾼 (Thunderous)
Owned by JYP Entertainment
강박 (Red Lights)

NO.4
Google Images
Coming in at No.4 is Tomorrow X Together with their 2nd full length album The Chaos Chapter: FREEZE.

This is by far my favourite album from Tomorrow X Together, I didn't think I would get an album that would beat The Dream Chapter: ETERNITY, then boom, The Chaos Chapter was here. I love how raspy both Taehyun and Huening Kai's vocals are on this album, for me this album was their era, while Yeonjun is my bias my attention was mainly on Taehyun and Huening Kai. With each album Tomorrow X Together get better.
0X1=LOVESONG (I Know I Love You) Feat. Seori
Owned by Bighit Music
Frost
Owned by Bighit Music

NO.3
Google Images
Coming in at No.3 are the rookies that keep on giving; Enhypen is at No.3 with their 2nd mini album Border: Carnival.






This album for me was a step up from their debut mini album and it allowed them to show a more mature side to them compared to their debut. This album has definitely been on repeat a lot since it's release.
Drunk-Dazed
Owned by Be:Lift
Fever
Owned by Be:Lift

NO.2
Google Images
Coming in at No.2 and just missing out on the top spot is EXO with their special 7th mini album Don't Fight The Feeling.


As soon as I heard this album I knew it would be in 1 of the top spots, not only was this EXO's first release since obsession and marked the return of Xiumin and D.O. from their military service, but it's the first album to have Lay appear on the whole album since 2016. I was in love with this album as soon as I heard it, each track is amazing and it was so nice to be able to hear Xiumin, D.O. and Lay again.
Don't Fight The Feeling
Owned by SM Entertainment
Runaway

Before we see who has come in at No.1, let's have a look at some Honourable Mentions for 2021.

Treasure - The First Step: Treasure Effect
Google Images
음 (MMM)
Owned by YG Entertainment

WEi - IDENTITY: Action
Google Images
Bye Bye Bye
Owned by Oui Entertainment

Mirae - KILLA
Google Images
Killa
Owned by DSP Media

IU - Lilac
Google Images
Lilac
Owned by EDAM (Kakao)

Purple Kiss - Into Violet
Google Images
Ponzona
Owned by RBW

Kang Daniel - Yellow
Google Images
Antidote
Konnect Entertainment

THE BOYZ - Maverick
Google Images
Maverick
Owned by IST Entertainment 

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

NO.1
Google Images
Taking my No.1 spot for 2021 is SHINee with their 7th full length album Don't Call Me.



As soon as I heard this album, I knew it was going to be hard to beat, I had this album on repeat pretty much non-stop. I struggled to listen to their 10th anniversary albums because I struggled with not hearing Jonghyun's voice. But with the release of this album it's like that struggle turned a new leaf, and it's not because I no longer miss hearing Jonghyun or that I'm used to not hearing him, it's because this album screams SHINee, so even though he's not physically on the album, it's still very much feels that he is. SHINee definitely came back in a big way and I can't wait for Taemin to return to see what they return with next.
Don't Call Me
Owned by SM Entertainment
Body Rhythm

So there you have it, that's my Top 15 K-pop Albums of 2021, I'm excited to hear what music we get in 2022, so far for January I have Enhypen making a comeback, as well as PENTAGON and OnlyOneOf, I'm hoping this year we finally get the debut from Big Hit Japan, that has K, Taki, Nicholas and EJ from I-Land, there's a new boy group called TEMPEST debuting, which I'm hoping sees Hanbin from I-Land debuting as well as a group now known Keystone Boyz that has Youngbin from I-Land also debuting.

2022 lets get it!

Who had the No.1 spot for you?
Which albums were your favourite in 2021?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment