Monday 10 May 2021

PENTAGON - LOVE or TAKE

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


PENTAGON are a South Korean boy group formed by Cube Entertainment, the group consists of 9 members, originally 10 and made their debut on the 10th of October 2016. Former member E'Dawn left both Pentagon and Cube Entertainment on the 14th of November 2018.
The current members are:
Jinho
Google Images

Hui
Google Images

Hongseok
Google Images

Shinwon
Google Images

Yeo One
Google Images

Yanan
Google Images

Yuto
Google Images

Kino
Google Images

Wooseok
Google Images

Members Jinho and Hui are currently serving their mandatory military service, but Hui had finished both recording for the album and the M/V before his enlistment.
LOVE or TAKE is PENTAGON's 11th mini album, and on the 2nd of March 2021, the track list was released for the album.
On the 3rd of March 2021, the Romantic Ver. teaser images were released.






On the 4th of March 2021, the Sporty Ver. teaser images were released.






On the 5th of March 2021, the Mild Ver. teaser images were released.






On the 8th of March 2021, the LOVE or TAKE Audio Snippet was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 9th of March 2021, the LOVE or TAKE Concept Trailer #1 was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 10th of March 2021, the LOVE or TAKE Concept Trailer #2 was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 12th of March 2021, the DO or NOT M/V Teaser #1 was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 13th of March 2021, the DO or NOT M/V Teaser #2 was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 15th of March 2021, the DO or NOT M/V was released along with the digital release of their 11th mini album LOVE or TAKE, the next day on the 16th of March, the album was released physically.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 19th of March 2021, the DO or NOT (Choreography Practice Video) was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 22nd of March 2021, the DO or NOT Official Lyric Video was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 24th of March 2021, the DO or NOT Music Clip was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 12th of April 2021, the 소년감성 (Boy in Time) (Piano Ver.) was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment

PENTAGON held an online media showcase to commemorate the albums release, there they performed DO or NOT and Baby I Love You.

On the 17th of March 2021, the LOVE or TAKE album reached 52,098 copies and placed 2nd on the Hanteo Charts Daily Album Chart on the first day of it's release.
The album debuted at No.3 on the Gaon Albums Chart, and dropped to No.19 the following week, on the 3rd week of charting, the album rose again to No.10.
On the Bugs Chart, all songs, including the title track succeeded in charting, making it their first album to reach this milestone.

Hui and Wooseok co-wrote the lyrics for 10초 전 (10s and), That's Me, 노래해 (Sing-A-Song) and title track DO or NOT, both Hui and Wooseok also co-composed on the tracks.
Hui wrote and composed the albums bonus track 소년감성 (Boy in Time).
Kino and Wooseok co-wrote the lyrics for Baby I Love You, with Kino also co-composing on the track.
Wooseok co-wrote the lyrics on 1+1.

LOVE or TAKE peaked at No.3 on the Gaon Albums Chart and at No.15 on the Oricon Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales = 88,552+
Oricon Sales = 8,595+
Giving the album so far a total of 97,147+ in physical sales.
*YouTube view correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for DO or NOT has so far gained 26,073,562 million views with the views increasing on a daily basis.,

LOVE or TAKE is released in 3 versions: Romantic, Sporty and Mild.
All 3 versions are set out as a hardback book style case and they all resemble Manhwa novels, with illustrated covers and booklets unique to each version.
All the versions come with the Cd, photo book, random special cover, lyric paper, random mini poster, special plastic sheet and 2 random photo cards.
The Romantic Version, PENTAGON shows 8 colours, with 8 people under a pink background to create a romantic mood.
The Sporty Version. PENTAGON are showed in sporty outfits under a tennis court background, with tennis balls and rackets used as props to create a cool mood.
The Mild Version, the PENTAGON members show their chic charms under a calm blue background in a black & white modern look to create a dreamy atmosphere.

Track List:
10초 전 (10s and)
DO or NOT
1+1
Baby I Love You
That's Me
노래해 (Sing-a-Song)
소년감성 (Boy in Time) (Hui Solo) *Bonus Track*

























































I came across PENTAGON during their Shine era, I really liked the song and found it catchy but I wasn't really that interested in getting to know them or their songs better, that was until watching their performances from Road To Kingdom, even though I wasn't a fan or a follower their farewell performance for Jinho had me in tears and I was constantly in awe of Hui's vocals, I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped and my response was shit! he can sing. after that I paid a little more attention to their lead singles, I have a friend that absolutely loves and adores PENTAGON so I've always felt bad that I couldn't share that with her.
That was until I saw the concept for this album, I'm a big fan of Manga and Webtoons, so as soon as I saw how the albums were I knew I had to get my hands on a copy and it just so happens I also really liked the title track DO or NOT.
I have the Mild Version of the album and I absolutely love the concept and layout of the album, I love the photo book, it is what they wanted, a chic and dreamy photo concept.
The album itself is really good and catchy, I'm well aware that PENTAGON release amazing albums as I did check out Positive when it was released and I liked the whole album, but this album did make me feel guilty for not wanting to let my guard down and listen to them more all because of their company.

I absolutely love the melody for 10초 전 (10s and), I also love the way they rapped and sung this song too, it sounds like such a carefree and colourful song. It definitely brightens my mind and mood when I listen to it.
10초 전 (10s and)

After only a few times of hearing DO or NOT I was whistling along with the track, it's definitely one of those songs that gets you into a summer mood, as well as a party mood, ready to have fun with your friends. I love the melody, the vocals, basically I love everything about this track and from what I know of their title tracks it's definitely my favourite, I can't help but sing along whenever it plays. I also think Yanan did amazing covering Hui in his absence, espcially in the intro.
DO or NOT

I think 1+1 is such a cute song, it may sound weird but I find this song really refreshing, even as someone that doesn't fully understand Korean, minus the random words I use, it's a song that sounds so easy to sing along to, especially the chorus, even non-Kpop fans would find it easy to sing along.
1+1

I love the chorus for Baby I Love You, I love how simple the melody sounds, with their vocals adding so much more to it. I love that it's a mid-tempo track that really helps the listener to focus more on their voices, showing that the whole group is talented and can stand out as individuals.
Baby I Love You

I will be the first to admit that That's Me is my favourite track from the album, I was in love with this track from the first listen and by the 3rd listen, I was singing along. There's nothing about this track that I dislike, but if I had to pick a favourite part it's definitely Hui's high note, it was one of those moments again where I was stopped in my tracks and said damn this boy can sing. I will also admit that I may have listened to this song more than the title track and album itself, in future I will say this is how PENTAGON got me into their grasp.
That's Me

노래해 (Sing-a-Song) is another track that I adore, it's one of those songs I can imagine being sung at one of their concerts with their fans singing along with them, while they have fun on stage.
노래해 (Sing-a-Song)

Another of my favourites from this album is the bonus track, Hui's solo 소년감성 (Boy in Time), you know from that very first piano note that it's going to be an emotional and beautiful song. It's this type of song that for me, makes me forget about the language barrier, Hui hold so much emotion in his voice, that even on my first listen it brought a smile and tears to my eyes. It still takes my breath away whenever I listen to it. Everything about this song is perfect from the melody, right down to Hui's vocals, I can only hope that I can one day hear and see him sing this live, and I'm sure there won't be a dry eye when his does, that final line for me always opens the floodgates.
소년감성 (Boy in Time)

I have now started looking into and buying their past albums, as well as getting to know the members as well as PENTAGON as a group more, something I know my friend MK will be happy about, it's definitely down to her that I've been sucked into their world and PENTAGON are making sure I cannot escape.
It will be sad not to hear Hui for a while but I can't wait to see what they bring us next.

Were you a fan of LOVE or TAKE?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version(s) did you choose?
What were your thoughts on DO or NOT as the title track?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment