Tuesday 5 January 2021

My Top 20 K-pop Albums of 2020

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Normally, if you have seen my past posts, I do My Top 10 K-pop Albums, well this time I have really struggled to pick just 10 and I have upped it to be My Top 20 K-pop Albums of 2020.
I think we can all agree that 2020 wasn't the year we were expecting, but that didn't stop all the K-pop comebacks, as a multi-fan, I did not have a quiet month, as I had someone making a comeback for each month which made deciding my top albums to be extremely difficult.

Before I start my list, I want to remind anyone reading this post, that this is my own personal opinion and I'm basing it on which of the albums really struck a chord with me, but also releases that I constantly had on repeat, for me music is about enjoyment and emotion, not how many awards it gets.

Let's get this countdown started shall we!

NO.20
Starting the list and coming in at No.20 is Cravity and their debut mini album Season 1. Hideout: Remember Who We Are

For a debut release, I was in love with this mini album and I still am, all 9 of them are extremely talented and I am excited to see what they have in store for us with their 3rd mini album.
Break All The Rules
Owned by Starship Entertainment
별 (Star)

NO.19
Coming in at No.19 we have Twice with their 9th mini album More & More.
Google Images
2020 was the year I fell back in love with Twice, I've not actually bought a Twice album since 2017 and their Signal album, but this year that changed with the release of their single More & More. This album from start to finish is amazing, I love seeing how they keep changing their sound, image and concept.
More & More
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Don't Call Me Again

NO.18
Coming in at No.18 we have The Boyz with their 5th mini album Chase.
Google Images
I've been watching The Boyz a lot more closely since last year, and especially since their appearance on Road to Kingdom which they won a place on the show Kingdom. The Stealer is my favourite title track from The Boyz and the album seems more mature than their last, they're definitely trying to experiment more with their sound and concepts.
The Stealer
Whiplash

NO.17
Coming in at No.17 is MONSTA X with their 3rd full length album Fatal Love.
Google Images
I was conflicted this year as for the first time, I was left feeling underwhelmed from a MONSTA X album, while I loved Fantasia X, for me there was something missing, maybe it was because it was their first release as 6 members. Then they released Fatal Love and my MONBEBE world blew up again and what I felt missing the first time round was no longer present. For me with Fatal Love the MONSTA X I love was back.
Love Killa
Owned by Starship Entertainment
Guess Who

NO.16
Coming in at No.16 is Super M with their first full length album Super One.
I absolutely adore this album, there's a mixture of tracks in Korean and in English and this album even brought me to tears. I was so excited when it was announced they were releasing a new album as I was and still am in awe that I got to see them perform in London back in February.
One (Monster & Infinity)
Owned by SM Entertainment
Better Days
Owned by SM Entertainment

NO.15
Coming in at No.15 is GOT7's 4th full length album Breath of Love: Last Piece.
Google Images
I'm sure many of us are scared that this is GOT7's final release as their contracts are now up for renewal, there is nothing scarier when it's time for contracts to be renewed as everything is up in the air. That being sad if this is GOT7's final album, they definitely went out with a bang, there's nothing I dislike about this album.
Last Piece
Owned by JYP Entertainment
We Are Young

NO.14
Coming in at No.14 is Seventeen with their 7th mini album Heng:garæ.

Seventeen always know how to put out amazing albums and this is my favourite of theirs from 2020, they never fail to brighten my day, whenever I listen to them. I can't wait for them to return and see where they take us in 2021.
Left & Right
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
같이 가요 (Together)

NO.13
Coming in at No.13 we have DAY6 with their 6th mini album The Book of Us: The Demon.

DAY6 are another group that always put out amazing albums and this one for me, knowing that 2 members needed to take a break due to anxiety, felt a more personal album. I think it perfectly describes 2020, just with the title and the final track.
Zombie
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Afraid

NO.12
Coming in at No.2 we have NCT 127 with their Neo Zone album series.



Google Images
NCT 127 had a busy year in 2020, and this album series definitely helped in boosting their popularity and recognition in the K-pop world, this album series is definitely my favourite releases from them so far. Teasers have already started to come out for their return, while I'm gutted they're not getting a proper break, I'm also excited to see what they bring us next.
영웅 (Kick It)
Owned by SM Entertainment
Punch
Owned by SM Entertainment
Love Me Now

NO.11
Coming in at No.11 and just missing out on the Top 10 is Dreamcatcher with their 5th mini album Dystopia: Lose Myself.
Google Images
Dreamcatcher are another group that never puts out a bad album, I rate Dreamcatcher rather highly and I'm sure if you've read my posts in the past, you'll probably be surprised they didn't rank higher. I have to say Boca is my favourite title track from them so far and I cannot wait for them to return and hopefully finally get their first music show win, we keep failing at the final hurdle. While I loved their first full length album, this album just peaks it as my favourite, each album of theirs gets better with each release.
Boca
Owned by Happyface Entertainment
Can't Get You Out of My Mind

NO.10
Coming in at No.10 is GFriend and their 9th/10th mini album Song of the Sirens.
Google Images
Like with Twice, 2020 was the year I fell back in Love with GFriend, my last album purchase was Time for the Moon Night, while I always like the sound of their title tracks I was in love with Time for the Moon Night, something that didn't happen again until Apple. I think what made me fall back in love with them was that it was a new sound and a more sultry concept for them, it was something new.
Apple 
Owned by Source Music
Big Hit Labels
Eye of the Storm

NO.9
Coming in at No.9 we have Taemin with his Never Gonna Dance Again album series.
Google Images
While these are 2 different albums, I'm still classing them as a series as they were released that way, Taemin doesn't create music he creates art. Taemin isn't afraid to go above and beyond his limits and these albums show that. Personally for me whenever Taemin releases a new album it's something I've never heard before, I think that's why many idols admire him and name him as a role model for themselves, he's creating paths for other idols to walk down.
Criminal
Owned by SM Entertainment
Idea
Owned by SM Entertainment
Strangers

NO.8
Coming in at No.8 is NCT 2020 with their Resonance album series.



NCT were on fire this year, they really hit the ball out of the park, there was only 1 track on these albums that I was left feeling underwhelmed with, the rest each can stand on their own and is worthy of being a title track. While it was different to the NCT 2018 project, I was happy with everything they did, I was even happy to gain 2 new members to the NCT/NCTzen family.
Make A Wish (Birthday Song)
Owned by SM Entertainment
90's Love
Owned by SM Entertainment
From Home

NO.7
Coming in at No.7 and their first time charting as a part of my chart is Tomorrow X Together with their 2nd mini album The Dream Chapter: ETERNITY.

While I've always liked Tomorrow X Together's songs and albums, this album made me become a MOA, I instantly fell in love with 세계가 불타버린 밤, 우린... (Can't You see Me?). From their releases in 2020 it's definitely my favourite. I constantly had it on repeat.
세계가 불타버린 밤, 우린... (Can't You see Me?)
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment
Eternally

NO.6
Coming in at No.6 and just missing out on entering my Top 5 is Stray Kids with their 1st full length album Go Live.




For me, while I've been a big fan of Stray Kids since the release of Miroh in 2019, 2020 was the year that they started getting the recognition they deserved, and that's down to this album and 神메뉴 (God's Menu). Also because of this album I took the plunge and bought my first signed Stray Kids album, I love their repackaged album In Life, but this album is my pick because it's Stray Kids turning point, it shows they're even stronger as 8, than they were as 9.
神메뉴 (God's Menu)
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Phobia

Let's take a break and before we get into my Top 5, look at some of my honourable mentions for 2020.

A.C.E HJZM: The Butterfly Phantasy
Google Images
Goblin (favourite Boys)
Owned by Beat Interactive

Kang Daniel Magenta
Google Images
Who U Are
Owned by KONNECT Entertainment

Hwa Sa Maria
Google Images
Maria
Owned by RBW

NCT Dream Reload
Google Images
Ridin'
Owned by SM Entertainment

DAY6 (Even Of Day) The Book of Us: Gluon
Google Images
Where the Sea Sleeps
Owned by JYP Entertainment

VeriVery Face Me
Google Images
Lay Back
Owned by Jellyfish Entertainment

Dawn Dawndididawn
Google Images
Dawndididawn
Owned by P Nation

NO.5
Coming in at No.5 is BTS with their 4th full length album Map of the Soul: 7.

I'm sure there will be some unhappy fans with where I have placed BTS, and also for the fact it's not even their new album Be, but wile I love Be, I definitely had Map of the Soul: 7 on repeat more. This album is full of perfection after perfection.
ON
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment
We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment

NO.4
Coming in at No.4 is Kai with his debut mini album Kai.
Google Images
I was insanely excited for Kai's solo debut and neither he or SM let me down, this album is amazing from start to finish.
Mmmh
Owned by SM Entertainment
Nothing On Me

NO.3
Coming in at No.3 is Wonho and his solo debut mini album Love Synoym Pt.1: Right For Me.






I was extremely excited by Wonho's return and this album showed how talented he was with not only writing music, but also with his vocals. I still haven't got over this album and I hope we're not waiting too long for his next release.
Open Mind
Owned by Highline Entertainment
With You

NO.2
Coming in at No.2 is Suho and his solo debut mini album Self-Portrait.



As soon as I heard this album, I knew it had to A) be on my list and B) rank high on my list, this is definitely one of my main favourite albums for 2020. From start to finish this album is personal and perfect from start to finish. It allowed Suho to showcase his vocal skills and be a main vocalist, I think Suho has amazing vocals and I can't wait for him to return from his military service to hear him sing more.
사랑, 하자 (Let's Love)
Owned by SM Entertainment
Made in You

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

NO.1
Taking my No.1 spot for 2020 is Enhypen and their debut mini album Border: Day One.
Google Images
Both myself and Skye watched I-Land that formed Enhypen and we also voted for the members, I was scared that I wouldn't like their title track or the album, I hyped myself up so much for their debut, that they were still able to knock my socks off. Personally for me, I can hear how much their vocals have grown so far and this album has not never been played. I have it on on a daily basis, even the album packaging and layout is perfect for their debut.
Given-Taken
Owned by Be:lift
Flicker

So there we have it, my Top 20 and favourite K-pop albums of 2020, I'm curious on what music we will get in 2021, I'm excited to see both Wonho and Enhypen return, as well as a new group debuting under Big Hit Japan, which has 5 of the I-Land contestants.

Who had the No.1 spot for you?
Which albums were your favourite in 2020?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
Mnet K-POP

No comments:

Post a Comment