Monday 13 April 2020

BTS - Map of the Soul: 7

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Map of the Soul: 7 is BTS' 4th full length album and their 2nd album in their Map of the Soul series. On the 7th of January 2020, it was announced that BTS would be making their comeback, a couple of days later on the 10th of January, the Comeback Trailer: Shadow was released.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment

Big Hit Labels
On the 17th of January 2020, released their first single from the album, Black Swan, along with the digital release of the track, the Art Film performed by MN Dance Company was also released.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment

Big Hit Labels
On the 3rd of February 2020, the Comeback Trailer: Ego was releaed.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment

Big Hit Labels
On the 10th of February 2020, the first set of concept photos were released.



 On the 11th of February 2020, the second set of concept photos were released.




On the 12th of February 2020, the third set of concept photos were released.







On the 13th of February 2020, the fourth and final set of concept photos were released.







On the 17th of February 2020, the track list was released, revealing that the album contained 20 tracks (19 physically), with the first 5 tracks being taken from Map of the Soul: Persona, as well as the digital release also having a collaboration with Sia on their title track ON. A few days later on the 21st of February Map of the Soul: 7 was released physically and digitally, along with the ON Kinetic Manifesto Film: Come Prima.
Owned Big Hit Entertainment
On the 25th of February 2020, the ON dance practice was released.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment
A week after the album's release, on the 28th of February, the official M/V for ON was released.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment
Finally on the 4th of March 2020, an official M/V was released for their song Black Swan.
Owned by Big Hit Entertainment

According to Dreamus, the distributor for the album, stock pre-orders for the album surpassed 3.42 million copies over the 6 days of the pre-order period. On the 6th of February, Forbes reported that the album had reportedly surpassed 4 million pre-orders worldwide.
The album debuted atop the Billboard 200, with 422,000 album equivalent units including 347,000 pure album sales.
In South Korea, the album debuted atop the Gaon Albums Chart, selling 2.13 million copies in it's first day and 3.37 million copies in it's first week.
In the UK, the album debuted atop the Official Albums Chart, it sold 36,000 units, with 32,000 being from pure album sales.
Map of the Soul: 7 made BTS become the first Asian group to top the album charts in the Top 5 music markets in the world, hitting No.1 in the United States, the United Kingdom. Japan, Germany and France.

On won BTS a total of 16 music show wins, gaining 5 wins on Show! Music Core, 4 wins on Music Bank, 3 wins on Inkigayo, 3 wins on Show Champion and 1 win on M Countdown.

RM and Jungkook co-wrote on 시차 (My Time).
Suga and RM co-wrote on Interlude: Shadow and Respect, with Suga also co-producing on Respect.
RM co-wrote on Black Swan and 00:00 (Zero O'Clock).
RM and V co-wrote on Inner Child.
RM and Jin co-wrote on Moon.
Jimin co-wrote and co-composed on 친구 (Friends).
J-Hope co-wrote on Outro: Ego.
RM, Suga and J-Hope co-wrote on Louder Than Bombs, 욱 (Ugh!), We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal and title track ON.

Map of the Soul: 7 peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.1 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.1 on the Official UK Albums Chart, No.1 on the Billboard 200 and No.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
4,114,843+
Oricon Sales:
398,148+
Chinese Sales:
402,400+
UK Sales:
32,000+
US Sales:
347,00+
Giving the album so far a total sales of 5,294,391+ million copies sold.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The ON Kinetic Manifesto film has so far gained 151,119,209 million views, while the Official M/V for ON has gained 112,093,602 million views. With views for both videos continuing to increase on a daily basis.
The M/V for Black Swan is also bringing in the views, with the views at the moment being 61,473,265 million, and again continuing to increase.

Map of the Soul: 7 is released in 4 versions; Version 01, Version 02, Version 03 and Version 04.
All 4 versions are set out in a large box and come with the Cd, photo book, lyric booklet, mini notes book, random photo card (group photo card in the UK), postcard, sticker sheet and colouring paper.
All the photo books are different in each version and set out like a newspaper, all the Cd plates, album covers are different and correspond to the versions.

Track List:
Intro: Persona
작은 것들을 위한 시 (Boy With Luv) (Feat. Halsey)
Make It Right
Jamais Vu
Dionysus
Interlude: Shadow
Black Swan
Filter
시차 (My Time)
Louder Than Bombs
ON
욱 (Ugh!)
00:00 (Zero O'Clock)
Inner Child
친구 (Friends)
Moon
Respect
We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal
Outro: Ego
ON (Feat. Sia) *digital bonus track*

Version 02





















Version 04







 
 
 







 
 
 




I have versions 02 and 04, I do want to have all 4 versions but I'm going to get the other two imported in from South Korea, so then I can get 2 of the random photo cards, because UK chart rules sates that an album cannot have any undisclosed items which the random photo cards are.
I was not expecting this album to be as big as it is, but I do love the packaging, I bought versions 02 first and my initial thoughts, mainly with the photo book had me feeling underwhelmed, while I like the idea of the photo book as a newspaper, the quality of the pictures seemed a little low compared to past photo books. Upon purchasing version 4, my opinion changed on the photo book, I loved the quality of the pictures in this one a whole lot better and I'm going to put it down to the differences in the colours in the pictures. Where version 02 is dark, version 04 is a lot brighter. I love both the concepts especially version 04 as it reminds me of a comic strip. 
The album itself from start to finish is amazing, it's a new side to BTS that we have never seen, I think 7 is definitely a step up from Persona and has now become my favourite BTS album to date. I love that the tracks are a mixture of group, solo and unit songs, allowing them to show off their own styles as well as having a bit of their BTS style. The continuation carried on as well for connecting their past albums with Shadow connecting to their O! RUL8, 2? album and Ego connecting to their 2 Cool 4 Skool album, which was their debut release.
I will be starting with the new tracks for this post, but if you want to read my thoughts on the first 5 tracks, then you can head to my Map of the Soul: Persona post.

I was really excited to see that Suga was the one releasing Interlude: Shadow, I think this track fits him perfectly. I think the melody is chilling and fits with the lyrics perfectly. This song reminds me of how far BTS have come and the amount of pressure they are now under. It's a song that shows no matter if you reach your goals or dreams there's always that part of you that fears the downfall, it's always easy to climb to the top but the fall is always harder to get back up from.
Interlude: Shadow

Lemoring
My initial reaction to Black Swan was I don't like this but the more I listened to it the more it grew on me.  I think it's a song that allows them to bring their fears to the forefront, it reminds me of Jin's acceptance speech when he said that they were close to ending it all and disbanding because they're hearts didn't seem to be in it anymore. I think at times you need to look at things from a different perspective, which I think BTS have done.
Black Swan

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
The Late Late Show with James Corden
I love the melody for Filter, it really suits Jimin's voice and vocal range. For me this song talks about how Idols are often made to be perceived, they are often made to wear a mask and anything that's far from perfection is wrong and not allowed. I also read a comment that I thought was also a perfect interpretation of the song in that Jimin is showing how confident he now is within himself and he's not scared or ashamed to show all the different sides to him.
Filter

I think 시차 (My Time) is the 2nd part to Begin from their Wings album, where he sung about how BTS helped him start to become who he is now. While this track is him singing about how he's had to grow up really quickly, he was thrust into the limelight at such a young age and he's had to live his life a certain way in front of the whole world. One thing I think this had done for him in a positive light is that it's made him more confident not only in his vocals and his singing but also his confidence.
시차 (My Time)

Jaeguchi
When I first heard Louder Than Bombs I was in love. This song is taking the front position of trying to change what's wrong with the world, They've climbed to the top, the spotlight is on them and they're going to make sure they're heard. As Suga says if they don't do it who will.
Louder Than Bombs

Jaeguchi
What I love about ON is that it's a new sound from BTS, it wasn't a song I was expecting but it blew me away. I love the beat and melody of this song, if I'm being honest with myself, this is my favourite title track from BTS, my jaw dropped when I heard Jungkook singing in the breakdown of the, he never fails to surprise me as a vocalist.
On

KBS WORLD TV Mnet K-POP
Now it's time for the new Cypher with 욱 (Ugh!) There are many rappers out there but I think BTS has one of the best rap lines, the way they bounce off one another. I love that the track is about how people get angry for unnecesary reasons as well as how people forget how their words and actions can affect others, something BTS have felt first hand, you can hear the anger in Suga's rap which for me brings home how much they agreed with their own words.
욱 (Ugh!)

Another song with 00:00 (Zero O'Clock) that showcases that BTS' vocal line has talent, their voices blend well together, I love that for me this song is about no matter how hard the day has been soon as it hits midnight it's a brand new day and time to start afresh. I find this song to be really calming and soothing and I adore both Jin and V in this song, for me this is personally I've heard them sing, they may not be able to hit the notes Jimin and Jungkook can but with this song neither V or Jin our outshone, they are all on even ground.
00:00 (Zero O'Clock)

Jaeguchi
KPOP. vine
It's now time for V to shine with Inner Child, if this isn't V telling his inner child that everything will be okay, I don't know what it is. I'm sure we would all love to go back to our younger days when we thought we'd never get through the hard times, that everything will get better, that heartbreak won't last forever. I think a younger V used his smile and comedy to hide his own personal suffering, and now he's holder he's more comfortable in showing his real emotions and knowing that with those around him, he can overcome anything.
Inner Child
Jaeguchi

I think Inner Child slips perfectly into 친구 (Friends). People often comment on whether idols friendships are real and true, they don't get any truer than V's and Jimin's. It's like they were destined to become friends and be each others biggest fan. I love that the lyrics are about how they met and their journey together my favourite line has to be '언젠가 이 함성 멎을 때 stay hey (hey),내 옆에 함께 있어줘' which translates as one day when this cheer dies down stay by my side, showing that once BTS fades away they want to remain friends and in one another's lives, cheering for one another.
친구 (Friends)

Zaty Farhani
Now we've moved onto one of my main favourite songs from this album Moon, I've loved every single one of Jin's solo tracks, but this one, there's something about it. His voice has never sounded so breathtaking, I've always thought Jin's vocals were underrated and this song proves that. I also love that this song isn't being sung by BTS' Jin, it's being sung by Kim Seokjin. We are Jin's earth, he's our moon in the night sky and vice versa. When I listen to this song it reminds me of how he always jokes that he's worldwide handsome, which makes me wonder if he thinks that all he has going for him is his looks, when in fact he's actually talented and this song proves that.
Moon

I think that Respect is the perfect song to be performed Suga and RM, in a world where BTS are not only putting the spotlight on South Korea and raising their economy, as well as doing their best to shine the light on all forms of art, as well as abuse in adults and children, teaching people of all ages to love oneself, speaking at the UN. The one thing they same to get a lack of is respect. They still have people that try to bring down their hard work, which I think in turn also makes them question what respect really is and what needs to be done to achieve it. To say it's a big topic I love that the music makes it lighthearted, which I think shows that people throw around respect to easily, when they don't mean it.
Respect

We're now onto another of my main favourite songs from the album, We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal. If this isn't a thank you fan song, I don't know what is, when you think of We Are Bulletproof, you're transported back to their debut when BTS were just the 7 members, fast-forward, they are now leading their ARMY to new heights. When I first heard this song, I cried, when I saw the translated lyrics, I cried. All idols put their fandoms first but, personally for me no more than what BTS do, this song makes me proud and privileged to be a part of their Army. This song is pure perfection from the music, to the vocals to the rap. I honestly don't think that when this song is sung live in concert there will be a dry eye in the house.
We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal

BANGTANTV
I think Outro: Ego is the most perfect song to end this album with, it represents the beginning of their career, their present as well as their future. I love how upbeat it is and I think J-hope is the perfect member to perform this song as he is basically the sunshine of BTS as well as ARMY.
Outro: Ego
Jaeguchi

Now the digital bonus of ON (Featuring Sia) sadly for me I don't think she adds much to the song, I'm used to her vocals but for some reason it just sounds so odd to me. Every time I listen to the song I feel like it sounds like they sent her the song and she just recorded herself singing over their vocals, compared to sending her vocals and them being placed in the song. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to this version.
On (Featuring Sia)

This is definitely BTS' best album so far, I would love to be able to see them perform it live but I think it's best for BTS for this year with everything that's going on with Covid19 that they cancel this years tour and start it off again next year. I was proud to see them get their 2nd No.1 album in the UK, even with the restrictions placed on what can be in the albums. I can't wait to see what BTS brings to the table on their next comeback.

Are you a fan of Map of the Soul: 7?
What were your first thoughts on ON?
Do you have a physical Copy?
Which version did you have/get first?
Do you have a favourite track?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment