Monday 29 June 2020

DAY6 - The Book of Us: The Demon

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Back in January I shared with you DAY6's 3rd full length album The Book of Us: Entropy, back in May (2020), they continued their Book of Us series, this time with The Book of Us: The Demon, which is their 6th mini album.

On the 20th of April 2020, it was reported that DAY6  were gearing up for a comeback, 7 days later on the 27th of April, the The Book of Us: The Demon Trailer Film was released, confirming previous reports.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 30th of April 2020, the track list for the album was released, revealing that the title track was called Zombie and that it would also have an English version. Just 2 days later on the 2nd of May, Sungjin's teaser images were released.
On the 3rd of May 2020, Jae's teaser images were released.
On the 4th of May 2020, Young K's teaser images were released.

On the 5th of May 2020, Wonpil's teaser images were released.
On the 6th of May 2020, Dowoon's teaser images were released.

On the 7th of May 2020, the group teaser images were released.

On the 9th of May 2020, The M/V teaser for title track Zombie was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 10th of May 2020, the The Book of Us: The Demon Album Sampler was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 11th of May 2020, the M/V was released for Zombie along with the physical and digital release of their mini album The Book of Us: The Demon.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 21st of May 2020, the lyric video was released for the English version of Zombie.
Owned by JYP Entertainment

On the 10th of May 2020, just 1 day before the albums release, JYP released a statement that DAY6 would halting group promotions and would be going on a temporary hiatus, due to some of the members coming forward with symptoms of anxiety, and that the group would be focusing on their health.

Young K wrote the lyrics for 해와 달처럼 (Day and Night), Love Me or Leave Me, 때려져 (STOP) and 1 to 10, with Young K, Jae, Sungjin and Wonpil co-composing on the tracks.
Young K and Wonpil co-wrote their title track Zombie as well the English version of Zombie, with Jae co-composing on the tracks.
Jae and Young K co-wrote on Tick Tock, with Jae, Young K, Sungjin and Wonpil co-composing on the track.
Sungjin co-wrote and co-composed on track Afraid.

The Book of Us: the Demon peaked at No.2 on the Gaon Albums Chart, and No.7 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
77,728+
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Zombie has gained 8,536,872 million views with the views continuing to increase.

The Book of Us: The Demon is released in 2 versions: Midday and Midnight.
The Midday versions has a blue book, while the Midnight version has a black book.
Both versions are set out in a hardback book case and comes with the Cd, photo book, random member dust jacket, random photo card, random lyric postcard and a random bookmark.
The photo books and Cd plates are different for both versions.

Track List:
해와 달처럼 (Day and Night)
Zombie
Tick Tock
Love Me or Leave Me
때려져 (STOP)
1 to 10
Afraid
Zombie (English Ver.)






































I have the midnight version of the album and I absolutely love everything about it, I love the photo book and the album itself is full of amazing songs yet again. Knowing that some of the members are battling their own inner demons, definitely makes this album not only heart breaking but also heart warming that they feel comfortable enough to write and sing about their struggles. There's so many idols that struggle with their mental health and I'm glad that groups like DAY6 are revealing their demons to remind people they are just like everyone else.
To say this album is about demons, I think the first track 해와 달처럼 (Day and Night), sounds quite upbeat and carefree, when in reality, it's about being polar opposites with someone you love, or even fighting with your own emotions, one minute you're happy, the next you're ready to hide away.

해와 달처럼 (Day and Night)

When I first saw that the title track was called Zombie, I was expecting a hard heavy rock song, but it's actually a more mellow track. Which I think is perfect for the message the song is giving out. I absolutely adore this song and I prefer the Korean version to the English version as I think the Korean for me is more meaningful and when I first saw the lyrics along with the M/V, I cried. I've never really struggled with any mental health issues but I think the lyrics really explain to those who haven't what it's really like. You're alive but are you really living!
Zombie

The more I listen to Tick Tock and read the lyrics, for me it signifies when the will to fight for something stops. When the darkness eats too much of you away that it's just easier to back away and say farewell to whatever it is that you live, whether it be a friendship, a lover, a job, or a hobby, when all you hear is a clock ticking through the silence, your desire has disappeared. I think the melody fits perfectly with what it made me feel and think about.
Tick Tock

As soon as I heard Love Me or Leave Me on the album sampler, I knew it was going to be one of my favourite songs on the album. I was not wrong. I love how this song transitions between the versus and the chorus. My main favourie part of the song is definitely the chorus but for me the whole song just makes me want to get up and dance, as well as sing along. For me this song talks about the anxieties one might have while in a relationship, you notice things more that may seem odd, the fear of being strung a long, when you not only have insecurities with your relationship but also within yourself.
Love Me or Leave Me

There's something about 때려져 (STOP), that I feel transported back in time, the melody for me reminds me of something that would have been released in the 90's, I love the sound of the guitar and bass in this song.
때려져 (STOP)

1 to 10, is another of my favourite tracks from this album, the transitions from verse to chorus are amazing and it reminds me of something that Fleetwood Mac would release, it made me think of their rumours album released in the 70's. Also for me this song was made for Wonpil and Young K's vocals, normally with their softer rock songs like these Wonpil and Jae stand out for me and with their harder rock songs Young K and Sunjin tend to stand out, but this song Young K and Wonpil really blew me away.
1 to 10

No matter how many times I listen to Afraid, I'm overcome with emotion, the music and the lyrics are heart wrenching and beautiful at the same time. You can hear the emotion in their voices, that they truly believe everything they are singing. Knowing that Sungjin wrote this song, makes me wonder what he may be dealing with inside himself, does he have his own darkness that he's scared to share with his members because he fears that it will attach onto them and take away the brightness that they have. If I could meet DAY6, I would tell all 5 of them that they shouldn't hide their darkness, friends are their to take your hand and share the burden, My Day are not just fans, they're friends that will happily reach out their hand to share their burdens.
Afraid
Jaeguchi

While Zombie (Englsih Ver.) doesn't have the same deep lyrics as the Korean version, it still holds the same message, you're doing the same things day in, day out, your feelings about things have become darker, you're alive but are you really living.
Zombie (English Ver.)

This for me is DAY6's best album yet, I normally say how excited I am for their next album and saying how I can't wait for them to return, but this time I want to say that I want them to take all the time they need to learn to cope with their anxiety, I recently listened to a podcast that Young K was a guest on and something he said really stuck with me and I want to say those words back to DAY6, be happy, be healthy, LIVE.

Were you a fan of The Book of Us: The Demon?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version did you choose?
What were your thoughts on Zombie?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
Jaeguchi

No comments:

Post a Comment