Monday 11 May 2020

Suho - Self-Portrait

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Self-Portrait is Suho's solo debut mini album, on the 18th of February 2020, SM Entertainment announced that Suho would be making his solo debut. A month later on the 18th of March 2020, Archive #1 Mood Sampler #1 was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 19th of March 2020, the Archive #1 Teaser Images were released.



On the 20th of March 2020, the Archive #2 Mood Sampler #2 was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 21st of March 2020, the Archive #2 Teaser Images were released.


On the 23rd of March 2020, the Archive #3 Mood Sampler #3 was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 24th of March 2020, the Archive #3 Teaser Images were released.



On the 25th of March 2020, the Archive #4 Mood Sampler #4 was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 26th of March 2020, the Archive #4 Teaser Images were released.



On the 27th of March 2020, the Self-Portrait Highlight Medley was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 28th of March 2020, the first M/V teaser for title track 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 29th of March 2020, the second M/V teaser for title track 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 30th of March 2020, the M/V for title track 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) was released, along with the physical and digital release of Suho's solo debut mini album Self-Portrait.
Owned by SM Entertainment

Each track on the album has a concept that connects them as a whole, giving the album Suho's personal touch. 

사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) won Suho a total of 3 music show trophies, with 1 win on Music Bank, 1 win on Show! Music Core and 1 win on Inkigayo.

Suho co-wrote on all 6 tracks of the mini album, with him being credited as SH20, which from comments online gives that personal touch again as the S stands for Suho and the H20 standing for water, his power as an EXO member. I thought this was a really nice and personal touch from Suho as it shows he believes he's where he is today because of EXO and EXO-L, and is thankful for that.

Self-Portrait peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.26 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.70 on the UK Digital Albums Chart and No.13 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
213,280+
Oricon Sales:
1,394+
Chinese Sales:
100,034+
US Sales:
1,000+
Giving the album a total of 315,708+ in sales so far.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) has so far gained 6,705,169 million views, with the views continuing to increase on a daily basis.

Self-Portrait is released in 2 versions: Archive 1 and Archive 2.
Both versions are set out in a hardback book style album case and come with the Cd, photo book, random postcard, random postcard set, random photo card and a random special photo card.
The album covers for both versions are different, but both contain a painted self-portrait of Suho, the Cd plates are also different as well as the photo books being different in both versions.
If you wont to check out both version then I recommend this unboxing of his album, she is my go to YouTuber when it comes to unboxings.
Track List:
O2
사랑, 하자 (Let's Love)
Made In You
암막 커튼 (Starry Night)
자화상 (Self-Portrait)
너의 차례 (For You Now (Feat. Younha))













































As you may have guessed, I have the Archive 2 versions, and I picked this version purely on the cover, it was my favourite of the two. what can I say about this album other than for me it's perfect from beginning to end. The photo book is absolutely breathtaking, the pictures are full of colour and I love that there are what seem to be drawings to fit in with the self-portrait concept. I love that the pages have a soft and silky touch to them as well as having a glossy finish, it really makes the album look top quality, and I also love that the songs are separated by page tabs. I was so happy with my special photo card as my special card is from EXO's Monster Era, which is one of my favourite era's from EXO.
EXO are known to have amazing vocalists and for me Suho is a vocalist that is underrated and underappreciated, something that for me this album proves. There's just something about his voice that put's me at ease and makes me fall in love with him all over again, every time he sings. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this album as I know he's able to sing both uptempo songs with choreography as well as ballads. Self-Portrait shows that not only is he skilled at writing stunning lyrics but he's also able to put the emotion he feels into the lyrics because they're personal to him. It makes me happy as an EXO-L that he feels comfortable in being able to open himself up to the listener and share what he loves.
There's something about O2 that makes me feel like a brand new day is beginning, it gives you the feeling of taking a deep breath and being ready to face the day ahead. I love that the melody is slow and soft, giving his vocals that opening moment to shine. I love the little break down towards the end, I love his English and how sultry and appealing he makes those words sound, making every listener hold their breath and reach out for his hand.
O2
Owned by SM Entertainment

The opening notes of 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love) let's you know that you're in for an amazing and beautiful song, I love the melody of this song, I love the lyrics and I love his voice. I think this is the perfect song as his first solo title track, no matter how many times I listen to it, it gives me chills, makes me sway and makes me feel proud of him, so much so this song always makes me a little teary, Kim Junmyeon you're my dream.
사랑, 하자 (Let's Love)

If after listening to Made In You, you don't think Suho has a stunning voice, then I think you may have wax in your ears, that's preventing you from hearing properly, because for me this song showcases not just how talented his is as a singer but also how beautiful his voice is. This song shows his love and gratitude for his fans, EXO-L. He knows that without a doubt he would not be where his is right now in his life if it wasn't for those fans that have stood by him and his EXO brothers from debut, through their hardships, through the long waits between albums and now till they return as a whole. While I love every track on this album, there's something about this one that speaks to me, maybe it's because I'm an EXO-L and have been for 6 years, nothing makes me happier then seeing them happy, getting married and starting families.
Made In You
Owned by SM Entertainment

I think you can really hear his pain, his heartbreak in 암막 커튼 (Starry Night), but as the song comes to it's conclusion you can tell it's a pain and heartbreak that he's learnt to overcome and move on from, and I also think that final line in the song is him saying it's because of that pain and heartbreak he's become who he is today. For me this song has the message of scars may heal but they remain and help sculpt you into the person you become in the future and the now present. I could imagine him getting really emotional performing this song in front of fans, it's a song that is raw in emotion.
암막 커튼 (Starry Night)
Owned by SM Entertainment

For me I think 자화상 (Self-Portrait), is a song for himself, a song that reminds him that sometimes he needs to step back and remind himself he is who is and he's got there by believing in himself as well as fans and his EXO brothers. This song reminds me of an interview he did with some kids and he talked about being scared of being forgotten, one thing we need to remember is that the spotlight comes and goes but that doesn't stop him being Suho or Kim Junmyeon. If I had the chance I would tell him how the right people will always remember him, and that those who forget are not worth worrying or thinking about, there's no meaning without Kim Junmyeon.
자화상 (Self-Portrait)
Owned by SM Entertainment

The first time I heard 너의 차례 (For You Now(Feat. Younha)), I was blown away by how well their voices blend together, the song is beautiful from start to finish, the melody is so simple making both of their voices really stand out. Once I looked at the lyrics, the floodgates opened, they lyrics are beautiful and shows how grateful Suho is to those around him.
너의 차례 (For You Now(Feat. Younha))
Owned by SM Entertainment

I am in no doubt that Self-Portrait will be on my Top 10 K-pop albums of 2020, this album makes me forget about the pandemic we're currently facing worldwide, it brings me peace and heals my heart and mind. This week Suho leaves to start his military service, I've been waiting for this since Xiumin and D.O both announced their enlistment dates last year, while expected, it was still heartbreaking to see. I hope he stays well, safe and healthy and I'm sure he'll be back before we know.
Kim Junmyeon stay safe, stay well and stay healthy and we will see you when you return.

Are you a fan of Self-Portrait?
Do you have a physical copy?
If so which version did you choose?
What were your first thoughts on 사랑, 하자 (Let's Love)?
Do you have a favourite track on the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
SMTOWN
EXO

No comments:

Post a Comment