Wednesday 4 January 2023

My Top 15 K-pop Albums of 2022

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

For me 2022 was a busy year of K-pop comebacks, every month was full with new releases, as well as debuts which, I've decided will have it's very own post. There were a few sad disbandments in 2022, with TRCNG finally announcing their disbandment, along with CLC and NU'EST, but I'm glad that members of TRCNG are re-debuting.
Today I want to share with you my favourite 15 albums of 2022, this took me a while to finalise as I had so many albums that were contenders, some albums were easy and I knew they would place within my top 15, but some took some deciding.

I would like you to please remember that this list is my own personal opinion and I know it won't reflect everyone else's, so please no hate and respect my decisions and opinion.

NO.15
Google Images
Coming in at No.15 we have ENHYPEN and their 3rd mini album Manifesto: Day 1.
For me this was definitely my favourite album of theirs in 2022, it really shows how they continue to grow and improve since competing on I-LAND
Future Perfect (Pass the MIC)
Owned by Be:Lift
Foreshadow
Owned by Be:Lift

NO.14
Google Images
Coming in at No.14 we have AESPA with their 2nd mini album GIRLS.
I've been a fan of all their title tracks and I definitely prefer their 2nd mini album against their 1st, for me this mini album is full of amazing tracks and concluding it with their previous digital tracks was the icing on the cake for me.
Girls
Owned by SM Entertainment
Illusion
Owned by SM Entertainment

NO.13
Google Images
Coming in at No.13 we have MIRAE and their 3rd mini album MARVELOUS, last year MIRAE appeared as one of my honourable mentions, this time they get to appear in my final line up. All their albums are really good and they've definitely been part of my favourite rookies. This album though was my favourite of theirs this year.
Marvelous
Owned by DSP Media
Juice

NO.12
Google Images
Coming in at No.12 we have Astro's Moonbin and Sanha with their 2nd mini album Refuge.
This album had to be included in my top 15 list as I couldn't stop listening to it, the title track WHO even appeared as my 5th most listened to track on my Spotify wrapped. Each track is catchy and memorable and definitely my favourite release of theirs so far.
    WHO
Owned by Fantagio
Ghost Town
Owned by Fantagio

NO.11
Google Images
Coming in at No.11 we have WEi with their 5th mini album Love Pt.2: Passion.
There's something for me with WEi doing dark and grungy style title tracks, Spray is definitely one of my favourite title tracks of theirs and of their 2 mini albums released in 2022, this one is definitely my favourite, I was hooked from the start of each track.
Spray
Owned by Oui Entertainment
Moonlight

NO.10
Google Images
Coming in at No.10 we have Golden Child with their 6th mini album Aura.
Golden Child have never appeared in yearly album charts, and this time it's all thanks to seeing them live at MIK in London. I knew they were gearing up for a comeback when I went to see them live, so decided to check it out and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this album, I'll definitely be following them more from now on.
Replay
Owned by Woollim Entertainment
3! 6! 5!

NO.9
Google Images
Coming in at No.9 we have Kim Yohan with his 1st solo mini album Illusion.
I absolutely love this album, and had it on repeat quite a few times, each track is amazing, it's one of those albums that when it finishes, you restart it.
Dessert
Owned by Oui Entertainment
Selfish

NO.8
Google Images
Coming in at No.8 we have Chungha with her 2nd full album Bare & Rare Part 1.
I've known of Chungha since her solo debut, and I only really listened to her title tracks but because I was going to be seeing her live at the MIK Festival in London, I checked out this album as it was released just before and I loved it. Each track is amazing, I was obsessed with Sparkling and seeing it live put it on a whole new level. Whenever I hear Sparkling and California Dream, I get goosebumps and it takes me right back to MIK.
Sparkling
Owned by MNH Entertainment
Crazy Like You Ft. BiBi

NO.7
Google Images
Coming in at No.7 we have Tomorrow X Together with their 4 mini album Minisode 2: Thursday's Child.
So far Minisode 2: Thursday's Child is one of my favourite TXT albums, for me it's right up there with The Dream Chapter: ETERNITY. For me TXT are one of the most versatile K-pop groups out there, for me there's nothing they can't do.
Good Boy Gone Bad
Owned by Big Hit Music
Thursday's Child Has Far To Go

NO.6
Google Images
Coming in at Noo.6 with have TVXQ's Max Changmin with his 2nd mini album Devil.
I decided on a whim to watch Changmin's Devil M/V and I was hooked, so I took the plunge and listened to the album and for me it's a musical masterpiece. It's something I'd not heard before as a K-pop fan. From the first listen, I knew this album would be making and appearance in my top 15.
Devil
Owned by SM Entertainment
Maniac
Owned by SM Entertainment

NO.5
Google Images
Coming in at No.5 we have Stray Kids with their 7th mini album MAXIDENT.
One of these days, Stray Kids will rank higher than No.5, and one think is for sure, is that Stray Kids are always consistent, they never fail to bring something new and push the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable in K-pop. This is why they're one of my favourite groups to watch and listen to.
Case 143
Owned by JYP Entertainment
3RACHA

NO.4
Google Images
Coming in at No.4 we have KINGDOM with their 4th mini album History of Kingdom: Part IV. Dann.
This album from start to finish is aesthetically pleasing and is my favourite album from KINGDOM, they still remain to be one of my favourite rookie groups, and while I was gutted by Chiwoo's departure, I can't wait to see how much Hwon grows within the group.
승천 (Ascension)
Owned by GF Entertainment
단심가 (Promise)
Owned by GF Entertainment

NO.3
Google Images
Coming in at No.3 we have BTS with their anthology album PROOF.
I fought with myself on whether to include this album as part of top 15 because it's not necessarily a whole new album, but the choices of songs included as well as the Cd only of demo tracks meant I couldn't keep it out of my countdown. Each track takes you back in time and allows you to see their growth as a group.
Yet To Come (The Most Beautiful Moment)
Owned by Big Hit Music
For Youth
Owned by Big Hit Music

NO.2
Google Images
Coming in at No.2 and just missing out on the top spot we have PENTAGON with their 12th mini album In:vite U.
This album is definitely one of my favourite albums released in 2022. and if you saw my top 15 for 2021, you'll know it's a big jump up my chart from that year. The more I listen to PENTAGON the more I fall in love with their music and they're amazing live too. I'm so glad my friend Mary kept pushing me to pay attention to them.
Feelin Like
Owned by Cube Entertainment
Call My Name
Owned by Cube Entertainment

Before we find out who has claimed the top spot, lets have a look at some honourable mentions for 2022.

AB6IX - Take A Chance
Google Images
Sugarcoat
Owned by BRANDNEW Music

APR PROJECT - BOYHOOD S#2
Google Images
장면 (Scene) (Feat. 호현(Feat. Ho Hyeon))
Owned by APR Entertainment

JUST B - = (NEUN)
Google Images
Me= (naneun)
Owned by Bluedot Entertainment

Woosung - MOTH
Google Images
Phase Me
Owned by Transparent Arts

ONF - Special Album [Storage of ONF]
Google Images
Your Song
Owned by WM Entertainment

Treasure - The Second Step: Chapter Two
Google Images
Hello
Owned by YG Entertainment

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

NO.1
Google Images
Coming in at No.1 we have Girls' Generation and their 7th full length album Forever 1.
I may be being bias with this one but for me this album was worth the 5 year wait and was the perfect way to celebrate their 15th anniversary, that being said 2023 is my very own 10 year anniversary for listening to both Girls' Generation and K-pop.
This album is just stunning and harbours all things Girls' Generation, showing that you can release new music while still keeping that original sound.
I hope we don't have to wait another 5 years to see them get back together again.
Forever 1
Owned by SM Entertainment
종이비행기 (Paper Plane)

So there it is My Top 15 K-pop Albums of 2022, as always I'm super excited to see what music 2023 will bring.
I hope in 2023 we finally get to see APR Project officially debut and I hope we get to see more of the TRCNG members join them.
My January is already full of comebacks with VIXX releasing a new song, Moonbin & Sanha releasing a new mini album, as well as MONSTA X, NCT 127 and Tomorrow X together all having comebacks.
I also hope I get to go to more K-pop concerts this year with Mary, I just know I'm in for another K-pop filled year, especially with SuperM making a return as well as EXO coming back too.

2023 lets get it!

Who had the No.1 spot for you?
Which albums were your favourite on 2022?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment