Tuesday 22 October 2019

Meat-Free Sausage Casserole

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


A few days ago, I saw an advert from Tesco that advertises one of their recipe's, both myself and Skye enjoy eating meat but there was something about this vegetarian dish that looked really nice, so I decided to give it a try. The recipe calls for frozen butternut squash but when I bought the ingredients my local Tesco didn't have any in, also I accidentally threw one of my garlic cloves away.
Let's get cooking!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 Tesco Plant Chef Meat-Free Cumberland-style Bangers
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
400 g tin haricot beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 vegetable stock pot
1 tbsp mango chutney
250 g frozen butternut squash
125 g spinach
15 g parsley, chopped

Start off by heating the oil in a large, shallow casserole dish, set over a medium heat, I used my wok pan that I use for curries etc. Add the bangers and cook for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned all over. Remove from the dis and set aside for later.

Add the onion to the dish and cook for 5 minutes, until softened I had to change my pan as the sausages had stuck to my wok pan while cooking.

Next stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for a further minute.

Next add the tomatoes, beans and 350 ml boiling water. Stir in the stock and mango chutney, for my stock I crumbled in half a stock cube as I didn't have any stock pots.


Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes, return the sausages to the dish along with the butternut squash, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes more until the squash is cooked through. Then add the spinach, stir and cook until the spinach is just wilted

Lastly sprinkle with the chopped parsley before serving, I did this after serving and I served in bowls.

After cooking this dish, I had a little look online and noticed quite a few people had the same issue as me, in that as soon as the sausages were added to the pan to brown, they began to disintegrate, break and come apart, which is why I had to change the pan I was cooking with. The recipe also calls for 8 of the bangers, which the bangers required come as a pack of 6 so I just stuck to the 6, especially with just myself and Skye eating it. I did find all the flavours nice and did find it easy to cook, but I would change up some of the ingredients if I was too cook it again, I'd leave out the spinach as I wasn't that fond of the taste and I'd change the sausages, I'd still keep it a vegetarian dish and try it with Linda McCartney's veggie sausages.
Skye on the other hand was not a fan of this dish, she didn't like the sausages, parsley or the spinach, so I'm definitely going to make some changes to the recipe and give it another try and see how Skye likes it the second time round.
I'll definitely try more vegetarian dishes as I don't think it's essential to have meat at every meal time and I hope it's a better way to eat more vegetables as we're not the best at eating them at meal times.

If you're interested in trying Carl's 'All-Change' Casserole or any other recipe from Tesco then head over to their recipe's for inspiration.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment