Saturday 13 February 2021

Korean Drama - Sweet Home

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Sweet Home is a South Korean apocalyptic horror television series, the series is was written by Hong So-ri, Kim Hyung-min and Park So-jung and directec by Lee Eung-bok, Jang Young-woo and Park So-hyun.
The series was released on Netflix on the 18th of December 2020, and has 10 episodes.
The series is also based upon the Naver Webtoon of the same name.

Main Cast:
Song Kang as Cha Hyun-Soo
Google Images

Lee Jin Wook as Pyeon Sang-Wook
Google Images

Lee Si-Young as Seo Yi-Kyeong
Google Images

Lee Do-Hyun as Lee Eun-Hyeok
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Nam-Hee as Jung Jae-Heon
Google Images

Go Min-si as Lee Eun-Yoo
Google Images

Park Gyu-Young as Yoon Jisoo
Google Images

Go Yoon Jung as Park Yoo-Ri
Google Images

Kim Kap-Soo as Ahn Gil-Seob
Google Images

Kim Sang-Ho as Han Du-Sik
Google Images

Woo Hyun as Kim Suk-Hyun
Google Images

Kim Hyun as Ahn Sun-Young
Google Images

Kim Hee-Jung as Cha Jin-Ok
Google Images

Heo Yool as Kim Su-Yeong
Google Images

Choi Go as Kim Yeong-Su
Google Images

Kim Gook-Hee as Son Hye-In
Google Images

Lee Bong-Ryun as Im Myung-Sook
Google Images

Go Geon-Han as Choi Yoon-Jae
Google Images

Woo Jung-Gook as Kang Seung-Wan
Google Images

Im Su-Hyung as Noh Byung-Il
Google Images

Ahn Dong-Goo as Lee Soo-Ung
Google Images

Lee Joon-Woo as Ryu Jae-Hwan
Google Images

Jeong Ha-Dam as Kim Ji-Eun
Google Images

Kim Sung-Cheol as Jung Wool-Myung
Google Images

Although filming had already started, Netflix officially announced the series' line up on the 18th of December 2019.
Lee Eung-Bok revealed that during Song Kang's audition, the actor reminded him of Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, "an image of someone who has a pure and innocent soul but is holding a spear in his hand." The actor was recommended to Lee Eung-Bok by the director of Netflix's Love Alarm which propelled him to fame in August 2019.
Lee Si-Young's character doesn't appear in the original Webtoon, but the director "wanted to add a female character who can pull of really cool action scenes," the actress being being a former amateur boxer.
Park Gyu-Young admitted that she did not have high hopes about being picked for the series but "as soon as she left the audition set, the director called her and said to leave with a script."

The series drew attention among viewers for it's portrayal of strong female characters . It was praised by viewers for it's "high-quality visual effects" and "the deep human connection among the characters." However, many criticized the soundtrack, which they believe did not fit with the story.

While I do actually love the soundtrack for the series, I will agree with the fact one of the songs did not fit with the story or the main character, and that's Imagine Dragon's Warrior, check it out below along with my favourite song from the show.
BewhY - Side By Side

Imagine Dragons - Warriors

Following the death of his family in an accident, loner Cha Hyun-Soo moves to a new apartment. His quiet life is soon disrupted by strange incidents that start occurring in his new building.
As people turn into monsters which take the form of their hidden desires, Hyun-Soo and other residents try to survive.

Google Images

I watched this drama knowing nothing about the Webtoon, I was intrigued by both the teaser and trailer from Netflix, as well as the fact that it starred Song Kang and I can honestly say I was blown away, both myself and Skye binge watched the whole series within 24 hours. We just couldn't stop once one episode finished.
I really enjoyed the casting, as well as the script, plot and story, not being familiar with the Webtoon, helped me really enjoy the drama, so much so it was my favourite drama from 2020.
I am now interested in checking out the Webtoon and seeing how the series unfolds, and see how the Webtoon and drama vary from one another as most of the bad reviews came from the fans of the Webtoon.
As I've already said, one of the reasons I watched Sweet Home was because of Song Kang, I'd previously watched him in Love Alarm and really enjoyed it. For me though watching him as Cha Hyun-Soo blew his character and acting in Love Alarm out of the water. There is so many sides to his role in Sweet Home that I think he got to show a lot of people what he's really capable of. This is definitely his best role so far.
This is actually my first drama with Lee Jin Wook, but upon watching him as Pyeon Sang Wook, I've come to learn that I actually do have some of his dramas on my to watch list. I loved him as Sang Wook, or as I labelled him gangster dude. As the series goes through the episodes you learn he's not as evil as he comes across as and he has a reason why he does the things he does, we also get to see his softer side.
This is my 2nd drama with Lee Si-Young, my first being Playful Kiss. If I had to compare the characters and choose my favourite, it would definitely be Seo Yi-Kyeong, for me this drama would be missing a real strong and independent woman that other women and girls could look up to.
As soon as Lee Do Hyun appeared on screen, I squealed OMG! it's him, my first drama with him is actually one of my favourite dramas; Thirty But Seventeen. It's actually nice to see him play a bigger role and have more time on screen, I will admit there were times through the series that I was wondering if he could be trusted, I couldn't quite get a grasp on Eun-Hyeok, watching the series a 2nd time, I can understand his actions more.
I loved Kim Nam-Hee as Jung Jae-Heon, or as I dubbed him the Korean teacher, he often had me giggling and I definitely had my fingers crossed for some romance for him, in this drama, I would have to say he gave me one of the biggest shocks, which lead to tears.
I would love to see Go Minsi in a role that she doesn't play someone who is a bitch, for me her role as Lee Eun-Yoo is pretty similar to her role as Park Gul Mi in Love Alarm, she's just more "I hate everyone" in Sweet Home, even so, it was nice to see her walls break and allow other people into her life.
I absolutely adored Park Gyu-Young as Yoon Jisoo, she was another of the characters that made me giggle, you get the feeling that even though she has people around her, that she really feels alone until she starts teaming up with the other residents and seeing that life isn't always that heartbreaking.
For me Go Yoon Jung was perfect as Park Yoo-Ri, she's caring and a fighter all at the same time, even when her own life is in danger, we get to see how warm hearted she is right to the very end of the series.
This is my 3rd drama with Kim Kap-Soo, and I have to say it was nice to see him playing a good guy, I loved his character, knowing his time was up, he seemed to live without fear, the only time you got to see any form of fear from him was when it came to Yoo-Ri and even though she was his caregiver, you could tell he saw her as a daughter.
I was brought to tears twice in 2020 by Kim Sang-Ho and the 2nd time was as Han Du-Sik, I think as Han Du-Sik, he was able to show more of his acting abilities off as it meant he could focus more on how he brought his lines out.
All of the cast were just amazing, they all bounced off one another, there were characters I hated because they always blamed other people, that were trying to keep them safe and alive, there are characters that you want to see get an horrific end, but that to me just shows how good they are in their roles, to make you believe the character and want the good to prevail.

I've watched this drama twice now and, I could happily sit and watch it all over again, and I would highly recommend it to others to watch whether you've read the Webtoon or not.
The cast are phenomenal, and I can't think of anyone else better to play those characters. I hope we get a 2nd season to see what happens with some of the characters, they've definitely left it to hint that there could be a 2nd season and I know some of the cast would love to continue the store.
I can't wait to see more from each of the cast members, as well as checking out their past stuff too.

Have you watched Sweet Home?
Were you a fan?
Did you like the casting, script & plot?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment