Saturday 5 October 2019

Korean Drama - Love Alarm

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
Love Alarm is a South Korean romance drama series based on the webtoon of the same name by Chon Kye-young. The drama series is written by Lee Ah-yeon, Seo Bora and Kim Sae-bom, and directed by Lee Na-jung.
The series premiered on Netflix on the 22nd of August 2019 and has 8 episodes.

Main Cast:
Kim So Hyun as Kim Jo Jo
Google Images

Jung Ga Ram as Lee Hye Yeong
Google Images

Song Kang as Hwang Sun Oh
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Z.Hera as Kim Jang Go
 Google Images

 Shin Seung Ho as Il Sik
Google Images

Go Min Si as Park Gul Mi
Google Images

Lee Jae Eung as Cheong Duk Gu
 Google Images

Song Sun Mi as Jeong Mimi
Google Images

Kim Si Eun as Yook Ji
 Google Images

Jo Yoo Jung as Mon Sun
Google Images

On the 5th of January 2017, Netflix announced that it would be producing it's first original South Korean television series, with a released planned for 2018. However the premiere was eventually delayed and pushed back to August 2019.
The male lead role was initially offered to Ahn Hyo Seop, but he later declined the offer.
To promote the series, Love Alarm held an interactive experience zone from the 18th of August until the 1st of September 2019 at the Lotte World Tower World Park Square. A Love Alarm app was also released for promotional events, it looks like the one in the series, but works differently.

Check out the official trailer for Love Alarm from Netflix.

As expected there are songs within the drama that I love and that when I listen to them take me back into the moments of the drama.
Tearliner - In My Dreams (Feat Love X Stereo)

Klang - Falling Again

Tearliner - Blooming Story

Tearliner - In My Dreams (Feat, Love X Stereo) Acoustic Ver.

Love Alarm revolves around the story of a disruptive technology, that enables users to discover love through an application that notifies whether someone within the vicinity of a 10-meter radius has romantic feelings for them.

Google Images

Let me start off by saying I hope we get an announcement soon confirming that there will be a second season because I was definitely unimpressed with the cliffhanger, and by unimpressed I don't mean I was unhappy, I was in complete shock to how they left it. My reaction to that final moment was definitely a meme moment.
Image result for brian joo what gifImage result for no gif
Google Images
I'm unfamiliar with the webtoon, but when I saw that this was a Netflix original, I thought I'd give it a try as I am familiar with Kim So Hyun. I really enjoyed watching this drama, I think the script and cast was spot on, as much as I love Ahn Hyo Seop and would have watched it for him alone, I'm glad he turned it down. In my personal opinion the episodes didn't seem long enough, I was that enthralled that I didn't feel like the episodes were just short of an hour. There were moments when I thought double standards, for example the fact that Sun Oh gets mad with Hye Yeong because he finally starts accepting his feelings for Jo Jo and pursues her, although while knowing Hye Yeong had feelings for her, Sun Oh still pursued her himself. But other than that I would happily watch this drama again and again.
I thought Kim So Hyun did amazing as Kim Jo Jo, she brought her individuality to the role as well as showing amazing qualities when it came to showing her vulnerable side, I honestly don't think anyone could have played that role better than her.
I love both Song Kang and Jung Go Ram as Hwang Sun Oh and Lee Hye Yeong, this is my first time watching them both in a drama and I'm glad they were cast in this drama. They pulled off their roles really well and I can honestly say that I am stuck on who I want Jo Jo to eventually end up with. I think Sun Oh is strong and independent and Jo Jo brings out his vulnerable side whereas with Hye Yeong, he's more reserved and she seems to bring out his desire to fight for what he loves and his independence. 
I was shocked to see that Kim Jang Go was played by Z.Hera as the last drama I watcher her in was Moorim School so I wasn't used to her having dark hair, plus glasses really suit her. While I wanted Jo Jo and Jang Go to make up, in a way I'm glad they didn't, I think Jang Go is that type of friend that you don't need in your life, it seemed to me that on the outside she played the best friend while on the inside she wanted to find that moment that would be Jo Jo's come down all because she's in love with her friend Il Sik who we see Jo Jo dating at the start of the series, I really disliked her character which shows that Z.Hera did her job well.
Another character I really disliked was Park Gul Mi played by Go Min Si, I feel because she thinks she's pretty and popular that she deserves everything handed to her on a plate and gets nasty when she doesn't get what she wants or come across unwanted affection. I also hate how nasty and cruel she is towards Jo Jo, who as family you would think she would try and help her instead of bringing her down, like Jo Jo does with her. I like that we get to see her armour finally begin to break and see a softer side to her, again this shows that Go Min Si did an amazing job in her role.
Finally I want to talk about Lee Jae Eung as Cheong Duk Gu, I love the unlikely friendship between himself and Jo Jo and I hope if there is a second season we get to see him again with more confidence and I hope he reappears to show Gul Mi just how much of a good person he actually is. It's hinted that he is the creator of the Love Alarm app and I also think he's the viewer that sees Gul Mi break and show her softer side during a live stream.
One main common with all the cast I have is that, I believe each and everyone of them, I can't wait to see how the series will progress and how the cast and characters will grow throughout the series.

If your a lover of Korean drama's then I would really recommend Love Alarm, the drama may revolve around an app but there is more to the story, including hidden heartbreak, and an extraordinary cliffhanger.

Have you checked out Love Alarm?
Did you like the casting and plot?
Would you watch it again and recommend to others?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment