Monday 30 November 2020

BLACKPINK - THE ALBUM

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


THE ALBUM is what the title states and what fans have been wanting for a long time, it's BLACKPINK's 1st full length album.
On the 4th of May 2020, it was reported that the girls had finished recording their album, then on the 15th of June, the 1st set of comeback teasers were released for their pre-release single.
Google Images
On the 16th of June 2020, the 1st set of 'How You Like That' teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 17th of June 2020, the 2nd set of 'How You Like That' teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 18th of June 2020, the 'How You Like That' Concept Teaser Videos were released for both Rose and Jennie.
Owned by YG Entertainment
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 19th of June 2020, the 'How You Like That' Concept Teaser Video's for Lisa and Jisoo.
Owned by YG Entertainment
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 20th of June 2020, the 3rd and final set of 'How You Like That' teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 21st of June 2020, the 'How You Like That' Concept Teaser Video was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 24th of June 2020, the 'How You Like That' M/V teaser was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 26th of June 2020, the 'How You Like That' M/V was released as well as the digital release of the song itself.
On the 23rd of July 2020, a new single teaser image was released announcing their next pre-release track, and this time they would be collaborating with another artist.
Google Images
On the 4th of August 2020, another collaboration teaser image was released.
Google Images
On the 12th of August 2020, a 3rd collaboration teaser image was released, this time revealing Selena Gomez to be the featuring artist.
Google Images
On the 24th of August 2020, the 'Ice Cream' Teaser Video was released, along with the release of Jisoo's teaser images.
Owned by YG Entertainment
Google Images
On the 25th of August 2020, Jennie and Rose's 'Ice Cream' teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 26th of August 2020, Lisa and Selena Gomez's 'Ice Cream' teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 27th of August 2020, the M/V teaser was released for 'Ice Cream', along with the final teaser images.
Owned by YG Entertainment
Google Images
On the 28th of August 2020, the M/V for 'Ice Cream' featuring Selena Gomez was released, as well as the song being released digitally.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 22nd of September 2020, Jisoo's THE ALBUM teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 23rd of September 2020, Jennie's THE ALBUM teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 24th of September 2020, Lisa's THE ALBUM teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 25th of September 2020, Rose's THE ALBUM teaser images were released.
Google Images
On the 27th of September 2020, THE ALBUM Concept Teaser Video's were released for Lisa, Rose, Jisoo and Jennie.
Owned by YG Entertainment
Owned by YG Entertainment
Owned by YG Entertainment
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 28th of September 2020, the 'Lovesick Girls' Concept Teaser Video was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 30th of September 2020, the M/V teaser for 'Lovesick Girls' was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 2nd of October 2020, the 'Lovesick Girls' M/V was released, along with the physical and digital release of their 1st full length album; THE ALBUM.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 6th of July 2020, the 'How You Like That' Dance Practice Performance Video was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 8th of October 2020, the 'Lovesick Girls' Dance Practice Video was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment

On the 4th of September 2020, YG Entertainment announced that the album had surpassed 800,000 pre-orders, in just 6 days after the pre-order period started. According to the company, the number of pre-orders reached 530,000 copies in South Korea, and combined pre-orders form the US & Europe amounted to around 270,000 units.
On the 26th of October 2020, it was reported that the album accumulated 1.2 million physical sales worldwide.
THE ALBUM debuted at No.2 on the UK albums chart becoming the highest charting album by a Korean girl group or female artist on the chart.

Pre-release single 'How You Like That' won BLACKPINK a total of 13 music show trophies; winning 3 times on Show Champion, 2 times on M Countdown, 2 times on Music Bank, 3 times on Music Core and 3 times on Inkigayo.
Pre-release single 'Ice Cream' won a total of 3 music show trophies, winning all 3 on Inkigayo.
Title track 'Lovesick Girls' won a total of 6 music show trophies; winning 1 on Show Champion, 1 on M Countdown, 1 on Music Bank and 3 on Inkigayo.

Jisoo and Jennie helped write lyrics for title track Lovesick Girls.

THE ALBUM peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.4 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.2 on the Official UK Albums Chart, No.2 on the Billboard 200 and N0.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales: 1,092,550+
Oricon Sales: 32,483+
Chinese Sales: 1,274,277+
US Sales: 230,000+
UK Sales: 5,700+
Total Sales 2,635,010+ so far.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for How You Like That has gained 666,409,733 million views, with the views still rising rapidly.
The M/V for Ice Cream has gained 417,909,415 million views, with the views still continuing to increase on a daily basis.
The M/V for Lovesick Girls has gained 266,619,537 million views, with the views still continuing to increase on a daily basis.

THE ALBUM is released in 4 versions: 1, 2, 3 & 4.
All 4 versions are set out in a box case and come with the Cd, photo book, postcard set, credits sheet, 2 random photo cards, 2 random postcards, random sticker sheet and a mounted photo card.
The photo books for all 4 versions are different.

Track List:
How You Like That
Ice Cream Feat. Selena Gomez
Pretty Savage
Bet You Wanna Feat. Cardi B
Lovesick Girls
Crazy Over You
Love to Hate Me
You Never Know












































I really like the layout for this album, it's definitely different from their past releases, the only difference is my copy is from the UK and from watching other unboxing's the UK releases are different from the Korean/American releases, in some of the products you get inside, for example the Korean releases come with a lyric booklet where the English ones don't. I can't really complain with my pulls, especially the 2 group photo cards as I gained an extra 1, it may be a duplicate but it's still I nice little surprise.
The photo book itself is really pretty and colourful, I wouldn't say it's my favourite of the photo books but the colours makes it close.
I have version 4, which I picked for 2 reasons, 1 because I have the pink versions for my other BLAKCPINK release and 2 because out of all 4 of the versions this one for me was the prettiest.
The album itself is an amazing album, I really enjoy listening to it, my only disappointment was that we only got 8 songs, for me, a full length album normally contains 10+ songs, but each track is different, so I think it makes up for it.
For me How You Like That was a song that had to grow on me, while it's still not one of my favourites, I can listen to it without wanting to skip it. For me on first listen it made me feel a little bored as it's what we're used to hearing from BLACKPINK, I won't deny though that I did love the little breakdown at the end of the track, it's actually my favourite part of the song.
How You Like That

While I loved how cute Ice Cream Featuring Selena Gomez sounded and I liked it from the first listen, I couldn't help feeling it was a Selena Gomez sounding track that instead of featuring her it featured BLACKPINK. It was nice to hear the girls do something different even if it was full of innuendo's, I also wouldn't say it has the best line distribution between the members.
Ice Cream

I think it's safe to say Pretty Savage is made for BLACKPINK, it has everything you need in a BLACKPINK track, amazing vocals, amazing raps, amazing melodies and beat drops, that you know will get you moving along, also that break down at the end literally is the cherry on top.
Pretty Savage

While I'm not a Cardi B fan, you cannot deny how amazing Bet You Wanna sounds, this is definitely one of my favourite songs from the album, it really reminds of something girl groups like Destiny's Child would do, I love the melody and the vocals, I think this song would be without if Cardi B didn't feature on this song. For me this song is way too short, it makes me look forward to possibly another collab with Cardi B.
Bet You Wanna

From the opening of Lovesick Girls to the very end of the track, I was in love. For me this is one of my favourite title tracks from them, it blew me away because it was something new from them. Whenever I listen to this track I can't singing and dancing along, I love the beat, the vocals and the raps, I have to say the chorus is my favourite part.
Lovesick Girls

I love the melody for Crazy Over You, I love the different contrasts in the melody, I think it definitely has an eastern sound, it definitely makes me feel like I'm somewhere exotic. For me this song is perfect for Jisoo and Rose's vocals. I think this is another song that gives us a taste of how BLACKPINK can change up their style and boy it's good.
Crazy Over You

Love to Hate Me reminds me of something Ariana Grande would sing, for the lyrics, I think this is really a chilled out song, which I think shows that a song doesn't have to be hard and heavy to get across annoyance and hate towards an ex.
Love to Hate Me

My only disappointment for You Never Know is that it wasn't written by BLACKPINK themselves, for a group that can often get a lot of hate, this reminds me of how hard it can be for them trying to stay positive amidst all that hate and negativity. I love the melody of this song, as well as the lyrics and vocals. For me they all have a rawness to their voices, like they really believe and feel what they are singing. I won't deny when I first listened to this track it stopped me in my traces and really made me listen to them, I also love that it has a sudden abrupt ending adding to that emotion.
You Never Know

For a first full length album, it's a pretty good album, but for me it's just not long enough, it's like they got BLACKPINK to release it because it's what the fans were demanding. I hope their next full length album topples this one over edge and prove even more how talented all 4 of these girls are. I feel like the album was also made to please both Korean and Western fans as half of the tracks are sung in Korean and half in English, which I'm assuming will have taken Jisoo out of her comfort zone, but I have to say, I'm proud of her for doing so as she has a stunning voice which shines in Korean as well as in English, she should be proud of herself.
I can't wait to see what new things BLACKPINK bring us in the future, for now I think they deserve a rest, ready to blow us away for their next comeback.

Were you a fan of THE ALBUM?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version did you choose?
What were your thoughts on How You Like That, Ice Cream and Lovesick Girls?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
Lemoring
BLACK

No comments:

Post a Comment