Saturday 12 September 2020

Japanese Drama - Kakafukaka

 Hello

안녕하세요 

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは 

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Kakafukaka is a 2019 Japanese mature romance drama, based upon the manga series of the same name written by Takumi Ishida.
The series was written by Kumiko Aso and Takumi Ishida, and directed by Momoko Fukuda.
The series aired from the 26th of April up until the 28th of June 2019, containing 10 episodes.

Main Cast:
Morikawa Aoi as Terada Aki
Google Images

Nakao Masaki as Hongyo Tomoya
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Yuki Kousei as Hase Taichi
Google Images

Nakamura Risa as Kuritani Akari
Google Images

I never saw the trailer for this drama, I just read the plot, but here is the trailer from Viki.

I couldn't help but love the OST tracks.

avex
BoA - My Love

Aki Terada was living a pretty good life. She had a steady job, a boyfriend she loved, and the life they shared felt like something out of a dream. But that dream shattered the day she caught her boyfriend cheating on her. Deciding to cut the cheater out of her life for good, Aki moves out of their apartment and into a share-house.
Only after moving into her new home does Aki learn that her long lost first love, Tomoya Hongyo, is one of her new housemates. Reunited with her old flame, the two pick up where they left off, all those years ago. But it's only after Tomoya makes an unexpected request that things really heat up between them.
Falling in love with Tomoya all over again, Aki is happy to let her heart lead where it may. But things at home get a little more complicated when their homeowner and housemate, Taichi Hase, suddenly asks her to marry him.
Now the object of two men's affections, Aki must decide if she should follow her head, or her heart.

Google Images

I added this drama to my watch list after watching the Japanese drama Hoping to Give You a Big Hug Tonight that Nakao Masaki also appeared in, as I wanted to check out more of his drama's and what can I say, this drama was the total opposite of what I was expecting. This drama also goes by the title Kakafukaka: The Screwed-Up Adults Sharehouse, if I had known the full title from the start I wouldn't have been as surprised as I was by the plot and the characters. While this drama is short, I was still hooked but was also left a little underwhelmed as their isn't any real depth or growth within the characters, no real explanations as to how and when they became screwed-up adults. I'd be interested in a 2nd season to see how the characters developed further and to see if Aki's appearance into their lives changed them or their mindsets.
I feel bad for saying this as I thought Aoi Morikawa did a really good job in her role as Terada, but at times I couldn't help feeling frustrated with her, as well as her relationship with Hongyo, early on she's awkward around him and from a flashback she seems to feel awkward because not only was he her first but he also seemed to force himself on her. Terada seems to struggle with her self-confidence and doesn't seem to value herself as much as she did when she was younger, which is why I think she agrees with Hongyo's request, I'm just glad she eventually learns to love and value herself again thanks to her housemates.
I have to say just for the acting alone, I have to applaud Nakao Masaki, for me he was amazing in this drama. I say this because in the previous drama I watched his character was much more upbeat, while Hongyo is more sullen. I don't think it mentions it in the drama but I personally think Hongyo has an antisocial personality disorder, he seems to struggle with how to convey his feelings, even by the end of the drama, he still seems to be confused with things but seems to be more at ease.
I think the most growth and background we get from any of the characters is with Yuki Kousei's character Hase, he seems to have no emotions and asks Terada to marry him out of convenience than love. He does however seems to grow an attachment to her but I think this is because he gets affection from her that he never received in his childhood from his mother. I think because of his childhood he finds it easy to manipulate others in getting what he wants.
I couldn't help but think Nakamura Risa's character Akari is a little naive, while our male characters seemed to manipulative and socially unaware, Akari seems to be more socially accepted and friendly, but she has a strong obsessive infatuation with Hongyo because she loves his novels.
Overall while I thought this drama was good and did enjoy it, I did find it a little messed up, uncomfortable and underwhelming, I'd happily watch it again to see if I could see anything I missed the first time round but on first impressions, for me, it's the cast that saved it. I'd also love to see behind the scenes as there must have been so many laughs on set, when it came to some of the scenes and script.

Have you watched Kakafukaka?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Were you a fan of the plot and script?

See you soon!

안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment