Sunday 23 February 2020

Japanese Drama - Hoping to Give You a Big Hug Tonight

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
Hoping to Give You a Big Hug Tonight is a Japanese romance drama and is also known as Can I Hug You Tonight? And is adapted from a novel.
The series aired from the 29th of September up until the 31st of December 2018, containing 12 episodes.

Main Cast:
Yahagi Honoka as Saeki Riko
 Google Images

Mizuno Masaru as Ichihara Shuuju
 Google Images

Nakao Masaki as Shindou Shin
 Google Images

Kamura Mami as Amamiya Yoshino
 Google Images

Iriyama Noriko as Fukai Midoriko
 Google Images

A strong and individualistic college student, Riko Saeki is working hard to make her dreams come true. Successful in many ways, she has just one major flaw, she's a complete klutz when it comes to love. Having never really gotten over her first love, Riko tries to find happiness elsewhere but nothing ever seems to work out the way they should. Until he shows up.
In an unexpected twist of fate, Riko finds herself standing face-to-face with Shuuji Ichihara, her old flame and first love. Suddenly back in her life after years apart, Riko finds herself  caught up in a whirlwind of emotions as she tries to figure out what Shuuji's appearance might mean. Of course with other people trying to win their hearts, trying to understand anything isn't going to be easy.

I thought this drama was short and sweet with so much potential to be a longer series, at times I felt the episodes seemed rushed, meaning not only did we lose out on character growth but at times I was left feeling confused, especially with the ending. I loved all the characters and I thought the plot was really good but I just wished either the episodes were longer or the series had a few more episodes.
This is my second drama with Honoka, my first being Mischievous Kiss, I thought her character in this drama was much more bearable, compared to Mischievous Kiss. While Riko is independent and will try hard in everything she does, her insecurities about herself begin to show through more when Shu appears, she questions her actions a lot more with him around. Her independence seems to disappear too when he returns back into her life, as she starts to do things he suggests, like choosing her "dream" job because he says it suits her. I really enjoyed Honoka's acting a lot more in this drama than I did at times in Mischievous Kiss, maybe that's because I liked her character more this time round.
I really enjoyed watching Mizuno Masaru as Shu, I thought he did really well in his role, Shu on the other hand, I had some issues with. As expected he starts off cold, with Riko slowly melting his icy heart, and reminding him of why his dream is what it is. I couldn't help questioning his choices at times because for me they seemed really hard to believe. I believe that Shu was confident when it came to his work and dreams but when it came down to his heart he was really insecure and made all the wrong choices when it came to protecting those around him because of that lack of confidence within his heart.
I think Nakao Masaki added elements of comedy to the drama with his character, while at times Shin was easy to read, there were times when you wondered what he would really do. I was left feeling extremely confused with how the series ended for him because there wasn't any real character development for him, it seemed right until the last moment of the final episode, he wanted to do everything for Riko and be that person she always turned to, whether it be as a friend or as a lover. How his mindset really changes I guess we will really never know, I loved his friendship with Riko and Yoshino, but found him a little hypocritical when he showed how Yoshino made him uncomfortable but then would force Riko into situations that would be uncomfortable for her especially once she found out how her best friend felt about him.
I thought Kamura Mami's character was the cutest out of all the character's in the drama, like Riko, Yoshino seemed to be confident in all aspects of her life apart from her heart. While being in love with Shin, she didn't have the confidence to tell him but would always be there for him as a friend to listen to his heartache about Riko. I'm glad everything eventually works out for her after she confesses, proving a female character can get over her first love after he rejects her. I did think she was a little selfish when she had an outburst at Riko, as Riko doesn't choose who has feelings for her, and at times you see her trying to ruin that friendship because of her own insecure heart.
I thought Iriyama Noriko did amazing in her role, it can never be easy to play a character that will do anything to get what she wants, whether it be through blackmail or hurting others. Midoriko is the typical female character that has a heart of ice and will go to any lengths to get what she wants, no matter who she hurts in the process. 
I think overall this drama is about learning how to trust your heart when it comes to love and the choices you make. I would happily watch the series again but I don't think my earlier opinion would change in how I felt it seemed rushed, but other than that it was a really good watch and has introduced me to actors I would like to watch more in the future.

Have you watched Hoping to Give You a Big Hug Tonight?
Were you a fa of the cast, plot and script?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!



안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment