Monday 24 February 2020

Jonghyun - Base

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



Base is Jonghyun's debut solo mini album, and on the 2nd of January 2015, the 'Base' teaser video was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 5th of January 2015, the M/V teaser was released for Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) Ft. Iron. Then on the 8th of January 2015, the 1st mini album 'Base' Highlight Medley was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
Also on the 8th of January 2015, the M/V for Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) Ft. Iron was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 12th of January 2015, Jonghyun's debut solo mini album 'Base' was released physically and digitally.

On the 8th of January 2015, Jonghyun held a showcase to introduce the album at the SMTown Coex Atrium, before the showcase, he told the media; "To be honest, I am not confident in singing ballad songs. Fans have loved my ballads in the past, but I am not really good at singing them. For this album, I focused on introducing my style of music and what I would like to pursue in my musical career. I wanted to make an album filled with songs I like, and work with musicians who inspired me. When deciding who to collaborate for with this album, I chose artists who can express the songs best."

Jonghyuns's pre-released track 데자-부 (Deja-Boo) Ft. Zion.T won a total of 8 music show trophies, with 2 wins on Show! Music Core, 2 wins on The Show, 1 win on Show Champion, 1 win on Inkigayo, 1 win on M Countdown and 1 win on Music Bank.

Jonghyun wrote the lyrics for 데자-부 (Deja-Boo), Love Belt, Neon, 일인극 (MONO-Drama), bonus track 시간이 늦었어 (Beautiful Tonight) and hidden track 포춘쿠키 (Fortune Cookie), as well as co-composing on 데자-부 (Deja-Boo), Love Belt, Neon and 시간이 늦었어 (Beautiful Tonight), he also composed hidden track 포춘쿠키 (Fortune Cookie).
Jonghyun co-wrote Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) and 할렐루야 (Hallelujah), as well as co-composing on Crazy (Guilty Pleasure).

Base peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.14 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.20 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart and No.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
99,669+
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) has gained 9,743,075 million views, with the views always increasing.

Base was released in 2 versions: Wine and Green.
Both versions are set out in a hardback book style case, the same as Taemin's solo debut mini album Ace and Onew's solo debut mini album Voice. Both versions come with a dust jacket, Cd, photo book and random photo card. Both versions also have the same photo book.

Track List:
데자-부 (Deja-Boo) Ft. Zion.T
Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) Ft. Iron
할렐루야 (Hallelujah)
Love Belt Ft. Younha
NEON
일인극 (MONO-Drama)
*Bonus Track*
시간이 늦었어 (Beautiful Tonight)
*Hidden Track*
포춘쿠키 (Fortune Cookie)


























Just like my body's stretch marks were a part of mu growing pains, we will move on endlessly wile enduring the pain, under the belief of my growth and this world's growth. Because the pain creates the room for take-off. I thank you for the "stretch" that pushed me forward. As always, I need you.

I remember being so excited for Jonghyun's solo debut and then feeling guilty because I wasn't in love with it, at first there were songs that I liked but there was also songs that I thought just wasn't my style, but the more I listened to it the more I started to fall in love with it. I think main error when first listening to this album was I was comparing it to SHINee's albums, forgetting what they do as a group isn't necessarily what they like as individuals. I was also comparing Jonghyun's album with Taemin's which was another error as they are both completely different albums. When I listen to Base now, I'm transported back to it's release and have warm feelings of those memories, as well as thinking it's still sounds like a brand new release.

As soon as 데자-부 (Deja-Boo) begins, I'm transported back to 2015. I love the melody of this song and I love how Jonghyun sings in the song. It has a feel-good feeling all the way through, and there are parts of the song that you can't help but sing along with, this was definitely one of the songs I was in love with when I first heard it and I still love listening to it even now.
데자-부 (Deja-Boo)

What I love about Crazy (Guilty Pleasure) is that it shows off Jonghyun's personal style off perfectly. It's sad that the title track wasn't as popular as others when it was released, as it's a song that perfectly showcases Jonghyun's range in his voice, showing that he's not just about ballads.
Crazy (Guilty Pleasure)

What can I say about 할렐루야 (Hallelujah), apart from from start to finish I'm in love with Jonghyun's voice, you get the feeling that it will be more of a ballad style song, but it's actually more uptempo, with a lot of emotion heard within his voice. The background vocals of a choir makes the song even more stunning and makes the song a whole lot more emotional.
할렐루야 (Hallelujah)

I remember being in love with Love Belt from the very first listen, I liked hearing Jonghyun sing in a different tone that we were used to, and how he sung really complimented Younha's voice. I love how the melody is pretty simple, with more melody being brought through with how they sung the lyrics. I think this is a song that shows off Jonghyun's individuality really well.
Love Belt

What I love about NEON now is how different it sounds from the other songs, on first listen I didn't think the melody and Jonghyun's voice worked really well together, but when I listen to it now I think it's the perfect blend of music and vocals.
NEON

When I listen back on this album now, 일인극 (MONO-Drama) is one of my favourite tracks, it starts off making you believe that you're about to get a ballad, but it becomes an uptempo soulful track. It shows how soft Jonghyun's voice can go while hitting those high notes. For me this is one of those songs that shows how talented Jonghyun is as a vocalist, for me the melody, the vocals, it's just all pure perfection.
일인극 (MONO-Drama)

I think that bonus track 시간이 늦었어 (Beautiful Tonight) is another of those songs that gives off the ballad vibe, but I love how Jonghyun changes that when he begins to sing. There's something in this song that I can't put my finger on that makes me love his voice even more. The melody is pretty simple, making his voice stand out, while also giving it a softness.
시간이 늦었어 (Beautiful Tonight)

I remember thinking how odd hidden track 포춘쿠키 (Fortune Cookie) was when I first heard it, but I couldn't help being intrigued by it at the same time, as this was a style of song I'd never heard Jonghyun sing. I love how he says cookie, I also love how sensual his voice sounds, it's like he's trying to tempt you to do anything he wants.
포춘쿠키 (Fortune Cookie)

Looking back, I honestly can't think why I wasn't in love with this album when it was first released, maybe it's because as I got older the style of music Jonghyun loved, I also became to love hearing him perform the style he loved so much. I can honestly say when I listen to this album I never miss the fact there is no ballad, because we get to hear his voice shine in so many different ways.

Were you a fan of Base when it was first released?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!



안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment