Monday 25 May 2020

EXO - Don't Mess Up My Tempo

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


It's almost been a year since I posted about EXO as a whole group, and my last post was about their repackaged album Love Shot, which is the repackaged album to Don't Mess Up My Tempo.
Don't Mess Up My Tempo is EXO's 5th full length album and their first comeback that Member Lay participated on, even if it was for the Chinese M/V and version of title track Tempo, this is Lay's first appearance since their 5th mini album For Life.

On the 21st of October 2018, the Tempo Concept Short Film was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
From the 22nd until the 30th of October 2018, individual teaser images were released along with member videos that teased tracks from the album.
On the 31st of October 2018, the M/V teaser for title track Tempo was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 2nd of November 2018, the M/V for Tempo was released, along with the physical and digital release of their 5th full length album Don't Mess Up My Tempo.
Korean
Owned by SM Entertainment
Chinese
Owned by SM Entertainment

On the 2nd of November 2018, EXO held a live showcase at Paradise City in Incheon, where they talked about the album and performed tracks "닿은 순간 (Ooh La La La)", "여기 있을게 (Smile On My Face), "24/7" and "Tempo".

On the 31st of October 2018, 28 days after the opening of pre-orders, it was announced that Don't Mess Up My Tempo had exceeded 1.1 million pre-orders. As of the 11th of November 2018, the album had sold 1,179,997 millioncopies, officially making EXO a quintuple million-selling group, and the first act in South Korea to sell over 10,000,000+ copies cumulatively across all albums. On the 10th of January 2019, the album was certified "Million" by Gaon.

EXO began promotions for the title track and album on the 2nd of November 2018, performing both "Tempo" and "닿은 순간 (Ooh La La La)".
Tempo won EXO a total of 7 music show trophies, taking 1 win on Show Champion, 3 wins on Music Bank, 2 wins on Show! Music Core and 1 win on M Countdown.

Chanyeol co-wrote on Gravity and 가끔 (With You), with Chanyeol also co-composing on track 가끔 (With You).

Don't Mess Up My Tempo peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.3 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.1 on the YinYueTai (Chinese) Albums Chart, No.19 on the UK Official Digital Albums Chart, No.23 on the Billboard 200 Chart and No.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
1,452,030+
Oricon Sales:
64,613+
Chinese Sales:
962,263+
US Sales:
50,000+
Giving the album a total of 1,662,906+ in sales so far.
*YouTube Views correct at time of writing post*
The Korean M/V for Tempo has gained 160,698,572 million views, while the Chinese M/V has gained 7,117,607 million views, giving the M/V for Tempo a combined view count of 167,816,179 million views, with the view count continuing to increase.

Don't Mess Up My Tempo was released in 4 versions: Allegro, Moderato, Andante and Limited Vivace Version.
All 4 versions are set out in a hardback book style case and come with the Cd, photo book and random photo card.
All 4 versions have a different photo book, with only the limited Vivace version including Lay in both the photo book and on the album cover.

Track List:
Tempo
Sign
닿은 순간 (Ooh La La La)
Gravity
가끔 (With You)
24/7
후폭풍 (Bad Dream)
Damage
여기 있을게 (Smile On My Face)
오아시스 (Oasis)
节奏 (Tempo) (Chinese Version)




























I've been wanting this album for so long, but being picky in which version I wanted it took me a while to come across the limited Vivace version, I adore and miss Lay so I knew this was the version of the album I knew I had to have.
I'm not a fan of the layout of the photo book, it makes looking through it a little awkward, especially if you're like me and you like reading through the lyrics along with the song, apart from that the photo book itself is really pretty
I love listening to Tempo, as soon as those first notes start, I'm already singing along. I love how the song flows and I love the breakdown in the middle of the track. It's like they're trying to chill you out before getting you hyped up all over again. The harmonisation in this song is just perfection, showing how talented all the members are vocally.
The main thing I love about Sign is the music, I love the beat, and then the chorus kicks in which for me with all their voices is just pure bliss, to me this song just screams EXO.
Sign

For me 닿은 순간 (Ooh La La La) gives me a sultry feel, the way they sing the song is like they're enticing you to keep on listening. For me this song was made for Kai and Sehun, I could listen to them both in this song all day.
닿은 순간 (Ooh La La La)

Chanyeol deserves so much credit for 가끔 (With You) because it's such a stunning song. I love how soft their voices become to blend in with the music.  Whenever I listen to this song, I just feel my worries melt away.
가끔 (With You)

I think 24/7 is such a catchy song, and I always find myself singing it long after I've finished listening to it. I think you'll also be singing it long after it's finished too "I think about it 24/7", as soon as the music starts I'm singing 24/7.
24/7

I thought 후폭풍 (Bad Dream) would have a darker sound to it, but for it's title it actually sounds quite bright and upbeat. I think for me what gives it away as a sad song is that you can hear pain in their voices as they sing about their heartache and fears.
후폭풍 (Bad Dream)

I think 여기 있을게 (Smile On My Face) is a song that encourages you to take on hardships with a smile, whether it's saying farewell to a romance or a friendship, as hard as it can be say farewell with a smile on your face, your time together wasn't all that bad right. I think being able to smile about heartbreak is giving you the power to remember the happy memories and move on. It's such a pretty song and it makes me think as long as I do it with a smile I can do and achieve anything.
여기 있을게 (Smile On My Face)

It's Lay time with the Chinese Version of 节奏 (Tempo), while we still haven't seen Lay promote with EXO again yet, I love that they still communicate with one another and he often says how much he misses them, which he does a lot more lately, I hope this is a sign that he's close to returning to the group, I miss his voice mixed in with the rest of EXO.
节奏 (Tempo) (Chinese Ver.)

While I think it's sad that we won't have any group comebacks, I'm still excited to see what they do for their solo work. I personally think 2020 is a big year for EXO even if they're not promoting together. Chen is now married and has a baby girl, I literally felt like a new Aunt when I saw the announcement that his wife had given birth, I look forward to the day that I can smile because they all have their own little families. Baekhyun has just made his solo comeback, if he wants to be my candy, I'll happily oblige. Xiumin gets discharged in December, which will mean that D.O won't be that far behind him. Sadly we had to say farewell to Suho as he set off to do his military service and this year could see us say farewell for now to another 3 members as Baekhyun, Chen and Chanyeol are all due to be called for their mandatory military service. It only seems like it was 2 minutes ago that I started listening to and following EXO, thinking their enlistments were so far away, for me it has in fact been 6 years.
I look forward to when EXO reunite as a whole group and I can't wait to see and hear what they release in the future.

Were you a fan of Don't Mess Up My Tempo?
Do you have a physical copy?
If so which version did you choose?
What were your first thoughts on Tempo?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
Jaegu
SMTOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment