Friday 22 May 2020

Korean Drama - D-Day

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images

D-Day is a South Korean disaster medical drama, written by Hwang Eun-kyung and directed by Jang Yong-woo.
The series ran for 20 episodes, airing every Friday and Saturday on JTBC, from the 18th of September and concluding on the 21st of November 2015.

Main Cast:
Kim Young Kwan as Lee Hae Seong
Google Images

Jung So Min as Jung Ddol Mi
Google Images

Ha Seok Jin as Han Woo Jin
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Ki Moo as Cha Ki Woong
Google Images

Kim Jung Hwa as Eun So Yool
Google Images

Kim Sang Ho as Choi Il Sub
Google Images

Kim Hye Eun as Kang Joo Ran
Google Images

Song Ji Ho as Lee Woo Sung
Google Images

Yoon Joo Hee as Park Ji Na
Google Images

Lee Geung Young as Park Gun
Google Images

Cha In Pyo as Koo Ja Hyuk
Google Images

Lee Sungyeol as Ahn Dae Gil
Google Images

Ko Kyu Pil as Yoo Myung Hyun
Google Images

It will come as no surprise that there are songs that I really like in this drama and I'll share them with you below.
Wendy - 아나요 (Let You Know)

Jung Dong Ha - 그 날까지 (The Day)

Kangin - 추억인 듯 상처인 듯 (Memories)

Lee Hae seong is a surgeon who is transferred from one of the best hospitals in Seoul to a rundown hospital with no ER. After disobeying his previous hospital director, Park Geun, he then meets Jung Ddol Mi, an orthopaedic resident from Busan, who came to Seoul to transfer a patient. Ddol Mi tries to meet Professor Han Woo Jin, a cold robotics surgeon who works in Hae Seong's old hospital who saved her life when she was younger before going back to Busan. However, she is stuck in Seoul after trying to save a patient. Meanwhile, a sinkhole appears in Seoul followed by a big eathquake that blocks all access to the city, causing phones, electricity, and water not to function. Hae Seong teams up with Ddol Mi to treat people, but soon medicine starts to run out.

This was my first time watching a drama that is disaster based, it's my second medical drama as my first was JTBC's Life starring Lee Dong-wook and Cho Seung-woo, but both 2 very different drams. I loved this drama, and while there was a little romance, it mainly focused on the disaster and medical side of the drama. The main reason I decided to watch this drama was because of Jung So Min, I thought it would be nice to check out a drama of hers that didn't mainly focus on romance, I won't deny though that I was rooting for the 2 main leads to end up together, and I loved that even to the very end the romance was kept minimal and it stayed true to being a medical drama.
I loved the plot and the growth of each character, there were moments when I was sat on the edge of my seat and holding my breath, there were moments where I couldn't help laughing and smiling and moments where my sobs were uncontrollable.
D-day was my introduction to Kim Young Kwan and I thought he was perfect as Lee Hae Seong, his hospital sees him as being rebellious but in his heart his main priority as a Dr and a surgeon is to save lives, which is why he often clashes not only with his hospital director but also other Dr's and surgeon's who think the hospital's duties is to those who pay for their care. I love that throughout the drama his morals never change, even when it comes to trying to save the life of the main person who is against him. I adore his relationship with Ddol Mi, I love that he helps encourage her and gives her the confidence she never thought she had when placed under pressure.
I loved Jung So Min as Jung Ddol Mi, she comes across as being extremely confident but when placed under pressure her armour cracks. I love that her main fighting force at the start of the drama is that she wants to prove to Hae Seong that she is capable and can do her job with ease. I love how they both come to admire one another, and you see feelings begin to grew, by the end of the drama they share the same mindset in how they care for their patients.
D-day was also my introduction to Ha Seok Jin, and I thought he did an amazing job as Han Woo Jin, for me his character was your typical male character that lets power go to his head, believing he's better than others and looks down on others that don't share his opinions and thoughts. We come to find that he's hiding 2 big secrets that can end his successful career, and will stop at nothing to make sure his secrets are kept, no matter who he hurts or destroys in the process. For me coming face to face with Ddol Mi again, and often being asked why and what made him change from the person who saved her life, makes him question who he has become and how he got there. I started this drama really despising his character, but ended it rooting for him.
Yoon Joo Hee portrays Park Ji Na and many believe that she's been round Lee Hae Seong too much as sometimes even though she is trying to do her best for a patient, she goes past her limits as a nurse and does procedures she's not really qualified to do, making others look at her as reckless. I also got the feeling that at the start of the drama she had feelings towards Hae Seong, which for me at times when she watched Hae Seong and Ddol Mi together she seemed a little jealous, but the more I got into the drama the more I thought She got closer to Hae Seong and stayed by his side was because the man she loved walked away from him.
This was my 2nd drama with Lee Sungyeol and his portrayal of Ahn Dae Gil, was amazing, his character is very born with a silver spoon, he's very arrogant but also very smart, his downfall is putting what he's learnt into action. I love that he begins to lose his arrogance when Eun So Yool comes on the scene not wanting to be seen in a bad light. She helps him see the error of his judgements in some of those around him and also seems to make him admit to his guilt and comes to the need of an old friend he screwed over for himself to succeed.
I've now seen a few dramas with Kim Sang Ho, and for me Choi Il Sub is very different from what I've seen him portray before. He has a strong passion for his job and makes it number one in his life, something his wife doesn't like to see as his job can cost him his life. I love this his colleagues are his family and when a job comes their way that is dangerous, he makes sure he's the one that is risking his life, even if the outcome does mean heartache for them and one of the main characters.
SMTOWN
Lee Geung Young as Park Gun is your typical money hungry villain, he will stop at nothing to make sure he remains in power at his hospital even if that means making sure his brother-in-law never wakes up. One thing I will give to this drama is that even though he's the typical villain, you are never made to feel sorry for him, his ending isn't a villain's typical ending, at the most he gets back what he once lost, but he still very much wants to take down his number one enemy.
For me the whole cast of this drama, made it a drama worth watching, watching how they all grew as individuals, how you can always turn to those that will always care for you and hold out a hand for you if you need help or guidance. It's a drama full of action and suspense, while some moments are obvious and expected, I never lost the anticipation and excitement to keep watching. I'd love it if we got a short but sweet 2nd season to see how things really changed and maybe have the 2nd season focus more on the romance aspect.
If you love dramas that are suspense based then I really recommend D-day.

Have you watched D-day?
Were you a fan?
What did you think to the casting, script and plot?
Would you recommend it to others to watch?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment