Friday 27 March 2020

Korean Drama - Chief of Staff 2

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
Back in November I posted about Chief of Staff, this time I'm posting about Chief of Staff 2, which if you haven't guessed is the second season of the South Korean drama, written by Lee Dae-il and directed by Kwak Jung-hwan. Like the first season, the series aired on JTBC and contained 10 episodes, airing from the 11th of November and concluding on the 10th of December 2019.
Season 2 saw cast returning to reprise their roles as well s new cast members.

Main Cast:
Lee Jung Jae as Jang Tae Joon
Google Images

Shin Mina as Kang Seon Yeong
Google Images

Lee Elijah as Yoon Hye Won
Google Images

Kim Dong Jun as Han Do Kyeong
 Google Images

 Kim Kap Soo as Song Hee Seop
Google Images

Jung Woong In as Oh Won Sik
Google Images

Jung Man Sik as Choi Kyung Chul
Google Images

Park Hyo Joo as Lee Ji Eun
Google Images

Jo Bok Rae as Yang Jong Yeol
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Hong Pa as Jo Gap Yeong
Google Images

Lee Chul Min as Kim Hyung Do
Google Images

Ko In Beom as Seong Yeong Gi
Google Images

Yoo Sung Joo as Lee Chang Jin
Google Images

Jeon Jin Ki as Lee Gwi Dong
Google Images

Jun Seung Bin as Kim Jong Wook
Google Images

Do Eun Bi as No Da Jeong
Google Images

Check out the trailers for season 2.


I have to say I was impressed with the OST's for the second season too.
Kim Yong Jin - The End

Ben - 한숨만 (Deep Sorrow)

The One - 놓을 수 없다 (Can't Let Go)

The second season of Chief of Staff. The real political players behind the spotlight take a dangerous gamble. Super adviser Jang Tae Joon heads towards the peak of power and fiercely struggles for survival.
Jang Tae Joon worked as the chief aide to lawmaker Song Hee Seop, he now returns as a lawmaker and achieves the height of his power.

As expected as soon as season 2 hit Netlfix, I was there ready to get the series watched, and like season 1, I was hooked from the very start. While the politics continued to keep me confused, I did find it a lot easier to follow with season 2.
Lee Jung Jae again blew me away with his acting, I was really conflicted about his character when season 2 started, even with how the first episode starts, from season 1 I learnt that the first few scenes we see come from an episode later in the series, so I was excited and scared of how we got to these scenes further down the line. I honestly don't want to say too much about Lee Jung Jae's character as he's a major player in season 2 and don't want to give anything away about the plot or how the series ends for his character.
Shin Mina again brought to the forefront how badass her character is and I love that she takes in Han Do Kyeong to be part of her team, knowing and believing in his abilities, while others look down on him because of his lack of experience. Her fight in season 2 continues, not only to remain in power for other women, but also her fight to find out what happened to not only her chief of staff but also someone she clearly held close to her heart as a good, close and personal friend. I also love that even though she is conflicted when it comes to Jang Tae Joon, she agrees to continue to help to destroy their main enemy, at times you can see she wants to help because she still has feelings towards him but also because you can tell at times she still sees him as an enemy and knows how his mind works, and can keep herself one step ahead of him.
I came to like Lee Elijah's character in season 2 more than I did in season 1 as she seems to act more upon her own head than her heart. While she is still loyal to Jang Tae Joon, she does what she thinks is best when she thinks he's taking on more than she thinks he is capable of on his own. I love that we also get to see her open up more towards people and showing her softer side more.
I think out of both seasons we get to see Jim Dong Jun's character grow the most, while he still remains sweet and still has some naivety, he becomes more self-assured in not only what he wants for himself, but also when it comes to getting things done at work, making sure him and the rest of the team are one step ahead of the Song team.
Kim Kap Soo again is remarkable in his role, throughout season 2, I was hoping he is eventually taken down because of how evil he is. This time round we see just how evil he can be, no matter who they are, how much higher in power they are, he continues to make sure he remains where he is. I was a little hopeful when we got to see his armour break slightly when it came to Jang Tae Joon, but sadly that tiny bit of hope is soon gone.
Another character development I was surprised with was Jung Woong In's character, I was not expecting to see his character soften up at any moment, but season 2 really showed how easy everyone could control him as the main chink in his armour was his family, season 2 saw him battle whether he continued to help Song, or help take him down.
Season 2 brought in some new characters, and I thought those characters were great additions to the series.
I thought Jung Man Sik was amazing as Choi Kyung Chul, I loved that he was always true to his morals and always fought for what was right.
I thought Park Hyo Joo brought some more comedy to the show as Lee Ji Eun, as well as being another badass female, I loved that even though she was hard on all of her team, especially Han Do Kyeong, you could tell she also believed in what he was doing and often pushed him harder to get him to realise he was onto a winner. I think her character was what we needed as viewers as she still second guessed at what Jang Tae Joon was doing, which I why I think she made Kang Seon Yeong also make sure she was either at level pegging with Jang Tae Joon or one step ahead, as she never kept it secret that she just didn't trust him and wanted to be given and shown a reason to believe his words and actions.
I have to applaud Jo Bok Rae as Yang Jong Yeol, he had me on the edge of my seat throughout the series. I just couldn't guess whether he was a spy or actually trying to help. This for me is again something that was needed for this season, as it kept you on the edge of your seat and had you second guessing what you thought.
I couldn't help but applaud as the final episode came to an end as it seemed to close everyone's stories, showing us how they're doing now. While I do think it was the perfect ending for the show, I also think it leaves a little opening for there to be a 3rd season, if they wish to either continue the story or make a new one.

Have you watched season 2 of Chief of Staff?
Did you like new character additions?
Did you like the plot for season 2?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment