Sunday 17 November 2019

Korean Drama - Chief of Staff

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
Chief of Staff is a South Korean political television series, written by Lee Dae-il and directed by Kwak Jung-hwan.
The series aired on JTBC from June 14th and finished on the 13th of July 2019, the series also streamed through Netflix. It was announced that the second season premiered on the 11th of November 2019, through JTBC and Netflix. Season 1 contains 10 episodes with a run time of 60 minutes, season 2 will also have 10 episodes.

Main Cast:
Lee Jung Jae as Jang Tae Joon
Google Images

Shin Mina as Kang Seon Yeong
Google Images

Lee Elijah as Yoon Hye Won
Google Images

Kim Dong Jun as Han Do Kyeong
 Google Images

Jung Jin Young as Lee Seong Min
Google Images

Kim Kap Soo as Song Hee Seop
Google Images

Jung Woong In as Oh Won Sik
 Google Images

Im Won Hee as Go Seok Man
 Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Hong Pa as Jo Gap Yeong
Google Images

Lee Chul Min as Kim Hyung Do
Google Images

Ko In Beom as Seong Yeong Gi
Google Images

Yoo Sung Joo as Lee Chang Jin
Google Images

Jeon Jin Ki as Lee Gwi Dong
Google Images

Jun Seung Bin as Kim Jong Wook
Google Images

Do Eun Bi as No Da Jeong
Google Images

Park Myung Shin as Yeo Sook Hee
Google Images

The first script reading for the drama  took place on the 26th of March 2019, in Nonhyeon-dong, Seoul.
The series is Lee Jung Jae's small-screen comeback after 10 years.
Check out the trailer below.

The two OST tracks were also amazing.
Chen - Rainfall

Kim Jae Hwan - Black Sky

Jang Tae Joon graduated from the Korean National Police University and worked as a detective. He wanted to gain more power and decided to work in the National Assembly. Now, he is the chief aide to a four-time lawmaker. He has excellent intuition, a cold-blooded decisiveness and a strong desire to win. He was able to place his lawmaker in the position of the party representative, but Jang Tae Joon has high ambitions.
Meanwhile, Kang Seon Yeong is a first-year lawmaker who got elected through proportional representative and is a spokesperson for her party. She worked as a lawyer and hosted a current affairs TV program prior to becoming a lawmaker. She is ambitious and does her job well.
Kang Seon Yeong and Jang Tae Joon are also secretly dating, can they keep their relationship a secret in the world of politics.

I can honestly say when it comes to politics, I'm completely clueless, I decided to watch this drama solely for Shin Mina and Kin Dong Jun, I started the series completely clueless and ended to series completely clueless, especially with the politics, the main thing was that I was hooked and I couldn't wait for season 2. I may have been left confused at time but Chief of Staff didn't fail at making me laugh as well as having me on the edge of my seat, holding my breath and really pulling at the heartstrings.
This was my first time watching Lee Jung Jae and I was blown away with his acting, I was expecting the character development that we got by the end of season 1, I've definitely gone into season 2 with a lack of trust in Jang Tae Joon, I know we've been asked to trust him in his decision and he's still trying to finish what he started in the first season, but I can't help but seconds guess his actions which shows his performance is believable and realistic.
I love how bad ass and confident Shin Mina's character is, she's one of the few women of power in mainly a mans world and fights with all her might to get what she desires and what is right. We also get to see her vulnerable side on 2 occasions, one when she has to deal with feeling guilt from another lawmaker and friend's death and another when the public goes against her, when they see her as promoting abortion after helping a young mum-to-be, when her life was in danger. I couldn't help feeling heartbroken and crying in her final scenes of season 1, I also feel like I'm on the same mindset as her when it comes to Jang Tae Joon.
I can't help but feeling that Lee Elijah's character allows her feelings for Jang Tae Joon, cloud her judgement as at times it's like she blindly follows what he requests. I did notice towards the end she does seem more regretful for some actions, when she is faced with Han Do Kyeong, who believes good things can only come from good deeds. She seems to be more reserved with other people, but you can see her grow and open up more when it comes to Han Do Kyeong.
I wasn't surprised when Kim Dong Jun's character turned out to be sweet and naive, he wants to be someone that others can admire and look up to, like Jang Tae Joon is and was someone he admired. I believe Tae Joon wants Han Do Kyeong to take his own path and not take the same steps he did, he wants Do Kyeong to be the positive fight if he needs to be the negative. I love that Han Do Kyeong starts as a naive character but quickly gets that fire in his belly to fight for whats right, no matter who he has to fight against.
This is my second drama with Jung Jin Young, the first being Sketch, Sketch he seemed to be more on the bad side, where this time round he's part of the side fighting for whats right, I definitely liked his role more in Chief of Staff than I did in sketch, I can't really say much about his character because I don't want to reveal any spoilers but be ready to be shocked and have tissues nearby.
Kim Kap Soo and Jung Woong In's characters are your typical bad guys that will do anything to take down others to remain in power, whether it's illegal or not. They both portray their roles really well and I hope we eventually see their downfall.
One of my favourite characters is Im Won Hee's character, he adds some comedic value to the show as well as being strong and serious when Kang Seon Yeong needs him.
The cast really works well together, which I think is why I'm hooked on a drama that I know nothing about it's premise. The final scenes, really had me shocked and it also made me wonder how far Jang Tae Joon would go to make sure he had more power.
I can't wait to see how it all unfolds in season 2.

Have you watched season 1 of  Chief of Staff?
Did you like the casting and the plot?
Let me know in comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment