Friday 28 July 2023

Korean Drama - Connect

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Connect is a 2022, South Korean sci-fi psychological thriller drama. The series was written by Masaru Nakamura and Ha dam, and directed y Takashi Mike.
It was released in Disney+ on the 7th of December 2022, and contains 6 episodes.

Main Cast:
Jung Hae In as Ha Dong Soo
Google Images

Go Kyung Pyo as Oh Jin Seop
Google Images

Kim Hye Jun as Choi I Rang
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Roi Ha as Detective Choi
Google Images

Lee Tae Hyeong as Detective Park
Google Images

Han Tae Hee as Detective Yeom
Google Images

Jang Gwang as Doctor
Google Images

Jo Bok Rae as Mr. Kim
Google Images

Sung Hyuk as Min Sook
Google Images

Yang Dong Geun as Musician Z
Google Images

Oh Ha Nee as Song Ha Young
Google Images

The series is based on the webtoon of the same name , the series depicts a mysterious story that occurs when a man who has been deprived of a part of his body by organ hunters, connects with a person who has received an organ transplant.

In June 2021, Studio Dragon announced that they were preparing to produce a new drama titled connect with Japanese director Takashi Mike. The series is the first South Korean drama to be produced by a Japanese director.
In January 2022, it was reported that filming of the series was in progress, with filming reportedly ending in March 2022.

A new human being, Connect, who has an immortal body, was kidnapped by an organ trafficking organisation. Part way through the surgery, he suddenly wakes up on an operating table and manages to escape with his one remaining eye.
Then he finds out that he can still see out of his missing eye, which has now been transplanted to a serial killer who killed and turned his victims into artistic sculptures.
Determined to get back what was taken, Dong Soo pursues the killer to make himself whole again.

I was searching Korean drama's on Disney+ when I came across Connect, I knew nothing about it and decided to watch it based on the synopsis on the streaming service, Skye also seemed interested so I pressed play.
Skye didn't get through the first episode, she seemed creeped out straight away, but she does tend to get bored quickly when it comes to watching drama's. While I was confused during the first episode as I was clueless at what was going off, it wasn't long till I was sucked into the drama and found myself watching the next episode. I was so engrossed in the series that I didn't even realise I'd watched the final episode, when going to start the next episode.
It's definitely on the darker side of the K-drama scene, which I love as it gives me a break from my usual BL's and romantic, happy drama's.
The casting was amazing, there was no one that I could fault, and I was often left on the edge of my seat holding my breath, for me some of it was predictable, but only because I'm familiar with this style of genre and shows, while I wasn't expecting the happenings during for one of the characters, I definitely knew what they outcome would be for them.
I enjoyed watching Jung Hae In as Ha Dong Soo, he has a naivity to his character, and it was intriguing to watch not only his pursuit for the serial killer, but also how he would grow and react to things that happened to him, as well as discovering what he really, his whole life he'd been treated as a monster not knowing why he was different to everyone else. I hope we get a 2nd season as I look forward to seeing how he grows as well as accepting himself more.
I absolutely loved Go Kyung Pyo as Oh Jin Seop, I would love to see him more darker roles because he played his character so well, he really showed how easy it is to hide who you really are from everyone around you, allowing him to continue with his everyday life while hiding his scarier, dangerous side, even at one point having a work colleague to defend him from accusations.
I know Kim Hye Jun from KINGDOM where she played Queen Consort Cho, so I was intrigued to see her as Choi I Rang. The difference between her character and Jung Hae In's character is pretty big, she already knows who she is and has accepted it, what we don't really know is if she is there to help or hinder, is she there to live normally or make the normal humans be the monsters rather than her.
There was definitely scenes that I wasn't expecting, especially towards in the final episodes, so it was nice to have a drama that wasn't all the typical clichés, I'd happily watch this again to see if there was anything I missed the first time round, and to see if it makes more sense that it did on the first watch. I'm also interested in finding the webtoon to see how the story plays out.
I can only hope a 2nd season gets announced as it seemed to get left on a cliffhanger, and I would love to know and see how they will play that out in a 2nd season.

Have you watched Connect?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the plot and script?
Have you read the webtoon?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment