Monday 19 September 2022

Stray Kids - MIXTAPE

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


MIXTAPE is Stray Kids' pre-debut mini album.

On the 1st of November 2017, the Hellevator M/V was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 8th of January 2018, the Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware) M/V was released, along with the physical and digital release of their pre-debut mini album.
Owned by JYP Entertainment

All the tracks that feature on the album, were performed on their reality show Stray Kids.

3racha wrote the lyrics for Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware) and 어린 날개 (Spread My Wings), with the 3 members also co-composing on the tracks.
3racha co-wrote on the lyrics for Hellevator, Yayaya and School Life, with the 3 members co-composing on Hellevator and Yayaya, and Han co-composing on School Life.
Changbin, Felix and Lee Know wrote the lyrics for Glow, with Bang Chan co-composing on the track.
Bang Chan, Han, Changbin, Hyunjin and Seungmin wrote the lyrics for 4419, with 3racha also co-composing on the track.

MIXTAPE peaked at No.2 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.47 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.6 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart and No.2 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales = 169,714+
Oricon Sales = 1,063+
Giving the album a total in 170,777+ in physical sales.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Hellevator has so far gained 98,641,657 million views with the views still continuing to increase on a daily basis.
The M/V for Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware) has so far gained 16,984,184 million views, with the views still continuing to increase.

MIXTAPE is set out in a paperback book style case and comes with the Cd, photo book and 2 random photo cards.

Track List:
Hellevator
Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware)
어린 날개 (Spread My Wings)
Yayaya
Glow
School Life
4419


























































































I love the photo book for this album, while you get the usual photoshoot images, there's a lot of behind the scenes pictures too, which I love. It shows the process they went through while making their M/V for Hellevator, as well as when they were making their reality show.
I've known of Stray Kids since the release of their Hellevator M/V, which I've mentioned in my first ever Stray Kids post, and while I loved the song, I didn't want to commit to watching their show or following them, something I've come to regret.
For a pre-debut album you can really see how talented they are and how hard they work, if I had heard this album on release, I would have been a fan straight away.

I was in love with Hellevator as soon as I watched the M/V, so I think that's why when I listen to it I get goosebumps, because even though I may not have continued to follow them straight away after it's release, I still knew how amazing the song was and how talented they were before they made their official debut.
For me I think this is one of those debut songs that will stand the test of time and will age gracefully. I love melody, the vocals and the rap. For me the raps have always stood out and pretty much from this M/V I was in love with Changbin's rapping skills and I loved Felix's deep voice. The chorus too is amazing, this song really shows how talented they all are.
Hellevator

I love the melody for Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware), I love the whole song. The raps are amazing as are the vocals. but there's something about Changbin's growl, I think it explains why he was my first bias, and why I still hold him high on my bias list.
Grrr 총량의 법칙 (Beware)

I love how different 어린 날개 (Spread My Wings) is compared to the first 2 tracks, I love all their vocals against the melody and I love how it transitions and changes throughout, it really shows how talented not only the 3racha members are but how talented each member is as a group, they each help one another to shine.
어린 날개 (Spread My Wings)

I love the rocky sound to Yayaya it gives me pre-debut 타 (Ta) vibes, and it really shows that even before debut that they were a versatile group.
Yayaya

I love how soft and sweet Glow starts, I think it really sets the mood and tone for the rest of the song. I love that melody is minimal in the verses, it really allows their voices to set the melody and then we get more of an impactful melody in the chorus. I think how this song was composed and arranged really helps them to tell an emotional and impactful story.
Glow

School Life sounds so fun and gives me old-skool vibes, while giving that modern sound in the chorus. It sounds like a song that they had fun making and creating. It's definitely a song that would make my day feel brighter if I was having a low or hard day.
School Life

I think 4419 is such a pretty and amazing song to end their pre debut mini album with. I love that they each have some softness to their voices to fit the melody. Listening to this song I would think they were already an established group, which shows how talented Stray Kids were before they even made their debut.
4419

Not only does the final song on this album make them sound like an established group, but the whole album does. You can really tell that 3racha really put their all into the music they create and that they take even more care when it comes to making it a reality with the members.
I personally don't think that if I heard this album for the first time without knowing anything about Stray Kids, I wouldn't think this would be a pre-debut album.
The more I see them all grow and keep to their roots, the more I love them as a group and as individuals, but one thing I will say is that, this is an album that will stand the test of time and every time I listen to it it sounds brand new, this is where Stray Kids started and it shows they should have gotten more recognition from the very beginning.

Stray Kids everywhere all around the world, you make Stray Kids Stay!

Did you watch the Stray Kids reality/survival show?
Were you a fan of MIXTAPE?
Do you have a physical copy?
What were your thoughts on Hellevator?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment