Friday 27 August 2021

Korean Drama - How To Be Thirty

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao) 

Google Images

How To Be Thirty is a South Korean web series, written by Jung Yi Jin and directed by Oh Ki Hwan.
The series aired between Feb 23rd - April 13th 2021, and contains 15 episodes.

Main Cast:
Jung In Sun as Seo Ji Won
Google Images

Kang Min Hyuk as Lee Seung Yoo
Google Images

Ahn Hee Yeon as Lee Ran Joo
Google Images

Song Jae Rim as Cha Do Hoon
Google Images

Cha Min Ji as Hong Ah Young
Google Images

Baek Sung Chul as Hyung Joon Young
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Lee Chae Won as Ms. Yoon
Google Images

Kim Ji Sung as Lee Hye Ryeong
Google Images

Lee Kang Min as Kim Byung Ho
Google Images

Shim Tae Young as Ji Won's Ex-Boyfriend
Google Images

How To Be Thirty is based on the webtoon Born in 1985 by Hye Won and is also known as Not Yet Thirty.
The web series had  surpassed 13 million cumulative views as of just two weeks of airing.

Google Images

Seo Ji Won is a budding web-based cartoon author who decides to devote her undivided attention to her craft - forsaking love in favour of her career.
And her decision pays off. By the time she is 25, she is a published author. Now aged 30, she has become a well-recognised writer with scores of devoted readers.
But turning her back on romance turns out to to be harder than she first thought, when Lee Seung Yoo, her first love from her middle school days, returns to the scene to turn her world upside down.
And things get more complicated when the film director Cha Do Hoon - who has been charged with adapting Seo Ji Won's web-based series for the screen - confides in her and appears keen to strike up a close friendship.
Meanwhile, Seo Ji Won's best friend, a one-time TV anchor named Lee Ran Joo is having a hard time adjusting to "normal" office life in her new career.

Google Images

This series was short and sweet, with the episodes being 20 minutes long, which meant it's a perfect drama to binge-watch. I loved the casting, I thought they all did an amazing job, they all played their role really well and you couldn't help feeling their emotions along with them. I thought the script and plot were really good too, with a lot of the things happening being something that would be questioned in normal everyday life, especially when hitting 30. I think this series also shows that even at 30 you can always learn and grow and even make mistakes that I think as an adult, so that those younger than us aren't affected in the same way, it's easier to accept and apologise for out actions.
I loved Jung In Sun as Seo Ji Won, I think we see the typical plot of not being able to forget their 1st love when they re-appear, but I will admit that I wasn't a fan of the whole turning a blind eye to the fact that he was seeing someone else, but I think that was more her not wanting to ask and accept she'd become the other woman. I did like how she owned up to her mistakes and didn't went to personally apologise as she didn't want her to have the same emotional scars she had from a man treating her poorly. There were times she had me angry, as well as laughing and crying, but I was happy to see her grow and open up to other people, who she didn't seem to get along with at first.
Kang Min Hyuk did a great job as Lee Seung Yoo, he seems to be a character that struggles emotionally, and is happy to begin relationships even though he has no physical attractions to them, something that changes when he appears back in front of Seo Ji Won. I get that he tried to end his relationship with his girlfriend and she wouldn't allow it, but he was still seeing her when he was pursuing and dating Ji Won, meaning both the women ended getting hurt because of his actions. I personally think it was a good lesson for him to learn about getting hurt emotionally when Ji Won started to cut ties with him and move on without him in her life.
I loved Ahn Hee Yeon as Lee Ran Joo, this is actually my first time watching Hani in a drama and she blew me away, I can't wait to see her acting in more dramas and seeing how she grows. Out of all the characters, Ran Joo seems more sure of her life, until it all starts to change and she needs to start her career all over again, something I'm sure is scary when you're in your 30's. I love how she is with her best friends, and no matter what happens, she knows she can turn to them for help, guidance and even just to rant. I also loved her relationship with Joon Young, they often made me laugh, when they were together.
I think Song Jae Rim did an amazing job as Cha Do Hoon, he seems to come across as someone who is stubborn and cold, but as we get to know him, we get to see a more warm and softer side to him, something Ji Won gets to learn too, they both become close friends and learn they can rely on one another when times get hard, by the end he's introduced and becomes part of Ji Won's gang. Like Seung Yoo, he seems to be a character that struggles with his emotions and I think, for him they make him seem weaker.
I loved Cha Min Ji as Hong Ah Young, she seems to be the friend both Ji Won and Ran Joo call home, and they both always find their way to her when something is going wrong, she seems to keep her own problems quiet, but she knows that they always have her back. I also loved her working relationship with Joon Young, she was always happy and eager to help him when pursuing Ran Joo, which made it really funny.
Baek Sung Chul often had me laughing as Hyung Joon Young, he's younger than our main characters but you couldn't help noticing how he quickly shows that age is nothing but a number, and becomes friends with them all, even becoming someone they can all rely on. He shows in his own way, his emotions, I loved the way he cared for Ran Joo and how he helped her when she was lost.
I feel like I have to mention Kim Ji Sung as Lee Hye Ryeong as she's the scorned girlfriend, personally to me she seemed really obsessed with Seung Yoo and even when he told her that he no longer wanted to be in a relationship with her, she wouldn't allow him to end it and would always appear in front of him to hinder him from seeing anyone else, even appearing in front of Ji Won to warn her away from him. It seems at times that she saw Seung Yoo as her possession and if she couldn't have him then no one else was allowed to have him either, she seemed to idolise him.
I'd love there to be a 2nd series, just to see how else the characters have grown and if new romantic relationships have been formed, I loved seeing them all take control of their lives and overcoming their fears.

I'd happily recommend this series for others to watch, I think it's a series, no matter your age, you can relate to, as I think it shows aspects from everyone's moments in life whether it's how heartbreak and a young age, changed how we saw ourselves or how new and old friendships have helped overcome obstacles and fears.

Have you watched How To Be Thirty?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the plot and script?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment