Friday 23 July 2021

Japanese Drama - I Bought My Boyfriend On a Loan

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

I Bought My Boyfriend On Loan is a 2018 Japanese drama, the series was written by Najima Shinji and directed by Hiromasa Kato.
The series contains 8 episodes and started airing on the 9th of March 2018, and concluded on the 27th of April 2018.

Main Cast:
Mano Erina as Ukishima Tae
Google Images

Yokohama Ryusei as Setsuna jun
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Hisamatsu Ikumi as Iyama Yume
Google Images

Ono Yuriko as Ando Hiyori
Google Images

Fuchikami Yasushi as Shiraishi Shunpei
Google Images

Hasegawa Kyoko as Namba Reika
Google Images

Morita Ken as Reika's Son
Google Images

Hard-working Tae Ukishima has but one dream; to marry a competent man and spend the rest of her life living as a devoted housewife. There's just one problem, her current boyfriend, Shunpei Shiraishi is a horrible cheat. Doing everything she can to try to convince herself that this is really the man for her, Tae overlooks his shortcomings in the hopes of someday living happily ever after.
But a girl can only take so much!
Stressed at work and in love, Tae decided to find herself a new man in a rather unconventional way. Hiring Jun Setsuna to be her boyfriend, Tae hopes this new relationship will help. But can she really be happy with a man who is only with her because he needs the money to pay off his debts?

Google Images

This is not the drama I thought it was going to be, I honestly thought it was going to be one of those dramas where our female leads realises that the male lead is the one for her, when in fact not to ruin the drama for you, she still marries her cheating boyfriend.
While I think the cast did a great job with their characters, some of the characters were quite questionable and far from reality in some ways.
The plot and story for this series is also odd, not only odd but at times it made me feel so uncomfortable, for me it showcases trafficking, domestic abuse and ideals that women are made to stay at home and take care of the family, which these days I don't think you'd find many women who would say their dream is to marry the perfect man and be the perfect housewife.
Normally I would go into detail about the cast and their characters but, I personally don't think there is anyway that I could hype up this drama.
I think I spent most of this drama with my eyebrow raised, wondering why our female lead would think her boyfriend is the perfect man to spend the rest of her life with while he's dating other women behind her back to see whether she is the perfect woman to marry. She even seems to forgive her friend that also dates him in the hopes to win him over and be the one he marries.
I wouldn't say this is a romance drama either, to me it seems like it's more about friendship, by the end instead of being in a relationship, it seems that our 2 main leads realise they can rely on each other and form a bond through friendship, which seems to be odd because they seem to stop all contact once their contract is completed.

I'd love to say I highly recommend this drama, and to get yourself stuck in and give it a watch, but for me it's not a series I would watch again.
I've definitely watched better Japanese drama, and I'm sure I'll continue to watch not only better Japanese dramas, but also ones that are just not for me.

Have you watched I Bought My Boyfriend On Loan?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the plot and script?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment