Monday 26 October 2020

EXO - Obsession

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Obsession is EXO's 6th full length album, and their first album to be promoted with just 6 members, with members Xiumin and D.O completing their mandatory military service and Chinese member Lay being active in China.
In October 2019, a new Twitter account was created, ready for their new concept with the handle EXOonearewe. A month later on the 7th of November, the EXO concept trailer #EXODEUX was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 11th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Kai were released.




On the 13th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Chanyeol were released.



On the 15th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Sehun were released.



On the 18th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Baekhyun were released.



On the 20th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Chen were released.




On the 22nd of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for Suho were released.



On the 25th of November 2019, the EXO & X-EXO teaser images for the group were released.


Owned by SM Entertainment
Just two days later on the 27th of November, the M/V for Obsession was released, along with the physical and digital release of their 6th full length album of the same name.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 1st of December 2019, the Obsession (EXO Ver.) EXO the Stage was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
Also on the 1st of December 2019, the Obsession (X-EXO Ver.) EXO the Stage was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 20th of December 2019, the Obsession dance practice was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment

EXO held their comeback showcase titled EXO The Stage on the 19th of November 2019, where they performed their title track Obsession for the first time.

Obsession won EXO 5 music show trophies, with 2 wins on Music Bank, 2 wins on Show! Music Core and 1 win on Show Champion.

Obsession peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.16 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.37 on the UK Digital Albums Chart and No.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Obsession also peaked at No.3 on the Gaon Year-end Albums Chart for 2019.
Gaon Sales:
810,628+
Oricon Sales:
24,275+
Chinese Sales:
333,171+
US Sales:
6,000 +
Giving the album a total of 1,174,074+ sales so far.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
the M/V for Obsession has so far gained 84,328,648 million views, with the views still continuing to increase on a daily basis.

Obsession is released in 3 versions: EXO, X-EXO and Obsession.
Both of the EXO and X-EXO versions are set out in a box case, and come with the Cd, 6 individual photo books, lyric booklet, group poster, random member poster, random clear card and a random photo card.
The Obsession version is set out in a slipcase and comes with the Cd, lyric booklet, 2 photo books, random poster, random clear card and a random photo card.
The photo books for all 3 versions are different.
Check out my go to unboxing YouTuber to check out all 3 versions.
EXO & X-EXO versions
Obsession version

Track List:
Obsession
Trouble
지킬 (Jekyll)
춤 (Groove)
Ya Ya Ya
Baby You Are
Non Stop
오늘도 (Day After Day)
나비효과 (Butterfly Effect)
Obsession (嗜) Chinese Ver.
















































































SMTOW
I love the layout for this album, I love that the photo books are all member based , making them a lot easier to look through. I have the EXO version of the album and I would love to get my hands on the X-EXO version as I love X-EXO Kai. For me this isn't the usual sounding EXO album that I am used to, but that's one of the reasons I love this album, it really showcases Suho, Chanyeol, Bakehyun, Chen, Kai and Sehun really well and if we were to get a sub-unit with these members this is how their album would sound. I'm curious how these songs will be performed in the future once they're all reunited, will they keep it just 6 or distribute the lines for the other members, part of me really wants to see D.O perform Obsession.
Speaking of Obsession, I love this track. I love the melody and the composition of this track, and they all get their moment to shine. The more I listened to this song, the more I fell in love with it, I didn't know how to feel about it in first listen as for me it seemed a new sound for them. But I'm glad they took the risk and tried something new and something that showed a different side to all the members.
Obsession

I was in love with Trouble from the very first listen, it gives off such a sultry sound, which I think sometimes makes things that you shouldn't do more appealing. I definitely get the vibe that in this song EXO are trying to lead us into the dark and go against our usual morals.
Trouble

I love the start of 지킬 (Jekyll), I love the melody for this song, and I think it fits perfectly with Obsessions concept of having 2 sides of yourself. The melody makes me think that the darkness insides wants to break free, while the lyrics are you fighting to keep what you know is inside at bay. I absolutely love Kai's voice in this song, for me this song is perfect for him, in one sense his voice fits perfectly and in another for me Kai has two sides to him, the sweet, cute, adorable, funny and shy Jongin, and then once he's on stage his presence changes and Kai breaks through.
Jekyll

I love the softness of the melody and vocals in 춤 (Groove), I love that the track seems to be slow, then changes at the chorus. The chorus is definitely my favourite part of the song. I think this sounds like a sensual song, and it makes me think that the X-EXO members are trying to entice us to their side, definitely this era X-EXO Kai could make me do anything.
춤 (Groove)

There is something about Ya Ya Ya that the start gives me 90's R&B vibes, but as soon as the members start to sing, for me, the vibe changes.
Ya Ya Ya

Baby You Are is another song that really pulls you in as it hits the chorus, I won't lie, the chorus is my favourite part of this song. I also love the vocals, from start to finish they pull me in, so much so I just can't tear myself away from listening to the song.
Baby You Are

The first notes of Non Stop you think it's going to be a ballad, and then the main beat kicks in. There's something about this track that makes me feel nostalgic, it reminds me of pop music in the 90's.
Non Stop

We finally have a slower track in 오늘도 (Day After Day), all their voices really stand out and make an impact and I especially love the vocals harmonizing with the raps, for me it adds that bit more to this track.
오늘도 (Day After Day)

I'm always happy to see LDN Noise on tracks as for me they never fail to create amazing tracks and for me 나비효과 (Butterfly Effect) is another one of those songs. For me this song reminds me of their Exodus and Ex'Act albums, it takes me back to those era's of EXO, while giving it an up to date EXO sound to fit in with their new concept.
나비효과 (Butterfly Effect)

I'm grateful that EXO still have Chinese versions of their title tracks, it's where there journey and concept started, they may no longer have a Chinese versions of their albums anymore but they still always make sure they do their title track, it is sad that for this album we only have one EXO-M member.
Obsession (嗜) Chinese Ver.

I love this album, it's allowed them to try new things that they possibly wouldn't have done so with D.O and Xiumin around, as these songs may not have fit them as well, but I look forward to the day I at least get to witness them perform these songs as a whole group.

Sadly we have no EXO promotions or albums this year, with the members focusing on solo and unit promotions. This year we will see the return of Xiumin from his military service, also this year we saw Suho make his solo debut with his mini album Self-Portrait and then head off to do his military service, Baekhyun and Kai went on tour with SuperM in February and then returned in September with their first full album, Baekhyun also released his 2nd mini album Delight, Chanyeol and Sehun made a comeback as EXO-SC with their 1st full album, and there are rumours that Kai is set to make his solo debut.
Lay is still in China and has created his own entertainment agency; Chromosome Entertainment Group, while I'm insanely proud of Lay and everything he has achieved, I can't wait to see him perform and promote alongside the other EXO members, something I know Lay wishes for also.
Today for a short while we say farewell to Chen as he starts his military service and in January we see D.O return. I remember when I first got into EXO how I thought their enlistments dates were so far away and now one by one they're doing their duty and returning, so if you're new to all this trust me, it goes by pretty fast, once they're back it will feel like they were never gone in the first place.

Were you a fan of Obsession?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version did you choose?
Were you a fan of Obsession as a title track?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
EX

No comments:

Post a Comment