Saturday 22 August 2020

Tokyo Ghoul

 Hello

안녕하세요 

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは 

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao) 

Google Images

It's been just short of 4 years since I made a post about an anime on my blog, I've been getting into Asian drama's more so my love for anime and manga took a back seat as I slowly lost some interest in it. Thankfully though Skye has recently got into watching Naruto which has fired up my love and interest for anime again and I thought what better way to get back into than re-starting Tokyo Ghoul and introducing Skye to the franchise.

Tokyo Ghoul is a Japanese anime series based upon the manga series written by Sui Ishida. Season 1 of the anime is written by Chuji Mikasano, directed by Shuhei Morita and produced by Ken Hagino, Hajime Maruyama, Yoshito Danna & Hidetada Soga.
The 1st season originally aired from the 4th of July until the 19th of September 2014, and ran for 12 episodes.

Opening
Unravel - TK from Ling Toshite Sigure

Ending
聖者たち (The Saints) - people in the box

The story follows Ken Kaneki, a college student who barely survives a deadly encounter with Rize Kamishiro, his date who reveals herself as a ghoul. He is taken to the hospital in critical condition. After recovering, Kaneki discovers the he underwent surgery that transformed him into a half-ghoul. This was accomplished because some of Rize's organs were transferred into his body, and now, like normal ghouls, he must consume human flesh to survive.
The ghouls who manage the coffee shop 'Anteiku' take him in and teach him to deal with his new life as a half-ghoul.
Some of his daily struggles include fitting into the ghoul society, as well as keeping his identity hidden from his human companions, especially from his best friend Hideyoshi Nagachika.

Google Images

I got into Tokyo Ghoul via the manga back in 2015 and decided to give the anime a try, back then though I only got 1 episode into season 2, so recently decided to watch it again starting from season 1. I forgot how much I enjoyed it the first time round, even on the second time watching it had me hooked from the first episode, even Skye seemed like she was hooked. Season 1 has for me, memorable opening and ending songs, as soon as I hear them it takes me right back to the series. As dark and gruesome as the series is, personally I can't help but feel sorry for some of the ghouls, and as a viewer it's because of Kaneki that we really learn about them. We start off the first episode being told they're something bad and something to fear, but as you go through the season you come to know there are ghouls that want to live normal lives and some that come to learn there's more to life than being a ghoul.
It's sad that just being born as a ghoul means that your life means less because of something you cannot control, something we see a lot with Kaneki. In the end he has to rely on being a ghoul for strength but he needs his humanity to keep him grounded.

We've completed season 2 which is Tokyo Ghoul Root A and we're ready to start season 3, I really recommend this anime series, as well as the manga. I've just purchased the live action film, so can't wait to see if it lives up to my expectations, even 5 years later it still remains an anime I love to watch and still keeps me hooked and coming back again.
All 3 seasons of Tokyo Ghoul are available to watch on Netflix.

Have you watched season 1 of Tokyo Ghoul?
Are you a fan of the 1st season?
Are you a fan of the franchise?
Do you have ay favourite characters?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
Funimation

No comments:

Post a Comment