Monday 20 July 2020

EXO - Universe

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Universe is EXO's 6th mini album as well as their 4th winter special album. On the 14th of December 2017, it was announced that EXO would be releasing a brand new winter special album, and would be released on the 21st of December. This was later postponed, due to the sudden passing of their friend and labelmate. Also on the 14th of December 2017, the 'Cafe Universe' Episode. 1 (Xiumin & Sehun) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 15th of December 2017, the 'Cafe Universe' Episode. 2 (Kai & Suho) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
 On the 16th of December 2017, the 'Cafe Universe' Episode. 3 (Baekhyun & Chanyeol) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 17th of December 2017, the 'Cafe Universe' Episode. 4 (D.O & Chen) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 25th of December 2017, the 'Cafe Universe' For You video was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 26th of December 2017, the M/V for the title track Universe was released in both Korean and Chinese, along with the physical and digital release of their winter special album of the same name.
Korean Version
Owned by SM Entertainment
Chinese Version
Owned by SM Entertainment

Upon it's release, Universe was praised by fans for using gender-neutral pronouns such as "me" and "you", instead of "he" and "she" in the lyrics.

EXO performed Universe for the first time on the 31st of December 2017, performing on MBC's year-end show, MBC Gayo Daejejeon.

Universe won EXO a total of 4 music show trophies, taking 1 win on M Countdown, 2 wins on Music Bank and 1 win on Show! Music Core.

Chen wrote the lyrics for Lights Out.

Universe peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.8 on the Oricon Albums Chart and No.2 on the Billboard World Albums Chart. It also hit No.6 on the Gaon Year-end Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
547,943+
Oricon Sales:
20,917+
Chinese Sales:
212,511+
Giving the album so far a total of 781,371+ in sales.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The Korean M/V for Universe has so far gained 43,533,677 million views, while the Chinese M/V for Universe has gained 2,224,140 million views. The combined views for both of the M/V is at 45,757,817 million, with the views for both of the M/V's continuing to increase.

Universe is set out as a hardback book style case and comes with the Cd, photo book, postcard and random member photo card.

Track List:
Universe
為心導航 (Universe)
지나갈 테니 (Been Through)
Stay
Fall
Good Night
Lights Out

































I think the layout of this album is the typical standard layout for most K-pop albums. I love the photo book, but for me the only thing that makes me think of winter is the album cover, for me the photo book and concept looks more autumn season than winter, that being said I do love the colours used within the photo book. The album itself for me, is a typical EXO winter album, with it being mostly ballads.
The album starts off with the Korean version of Universe, just from the first note you know this song was created for EXO. We often see how difficult Christmas and the winter months are for some people, which is what I love about EXO releasing ballads as their title tracks for their winter albums. For me each member really shows off their vocal skills, it's a gorgeous and breath taking song from start to finish.
Universe Korean Version
MBCkpop

There's nothing I can really say about 為心導航 (Universe), as the Chinese version is just as amazing as the Korean version, all I would say is that I wouldn't have put them one after the other.
為心導航 (Universe) Chinese Version

Now we have not only one of my favourite EXO songs but one of my favourite songs from this album, I love everything about 지나갈 테니 (Been Through). My love for this song was boosted even more when I saw that Suho had performed it as his solo performance at their concert. As soon as the song started I knew I was going to love it, I also love their vocals but I do feel bad for Sehun as he was barely used in the song.
지나갈 테니 (Been Through)

I love how Stay starts off sounding like it's going to be a powerful ballad, but as it gets closer to the chorus it builds up and speeds up slightly.

I often think that songs like Fall were made for D.O, Baekhyun and Chen, but then Suho, Xiumin and Kai shine vocally and Sehun and Chanyeol show how a soft rap brings it all together. This song could fit on any album from EXO. This is one of those songs that shows how talented EXO are as a whole.
Fall

The first opening notes of Good Night remind me of something that would have been released in the 80's/90's. As soon as they start singing it really reminds me of a 90's boyband ballad. I think it's songs like these that can really show what insecurities someone may have with their voice, I think it's also easier to bare all your emotions with just your voice. You believe everything they sing, your drawn in. I just love this song, all their voices are just stunning in this song. But sadly for me with these songs the absence of Sehun is always noticed.
Good Night

I don't know what it is about Lights Out but it really makes me think of the winter months, especially how lonely they can be. This has to be one of my favourite ballads from EXO as well as being another of my favourite tracks from this album. Chen wrote such a beautiful song, it's weird that for me it's a comforting song, while also being heart breaking at the same time. The emotion in their voices proves that there is no language barrier with this song.
Lights Out

As expected from EXO this is another amazing winter album, the amount of pressure and heartache they must have been feeling when they finally released their album and as odd as it may sound also helped me through that same heartache.
We've sadly not had a winter album since 2017, for me the past 2 years have felt a little incomplete without one. I hope once everyone is back together we get another winter special album, out of all their winter albums though I have to say my favourite is still their very first one; Miracles in December. 

Were you a fan of Universe?
Do you have a physical copy?
What were your first thoughts on title track Universe?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye
SMTOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment