Tuesday 6 November 2018

Parkin

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Now that we've got into those winter months, I thought I'd try out some baking that's perfect for the November months and makes me think of warm and cosy November nights in at home as well as Bonfire night, parkin.
I came across the recipe I'm used on the BBC Good Food website, so if you would like to follow that one too, I'll link it at the end of my post.
Lets get baking!


Ingredients:
200 g butter, plus extra for greasing
1 large egg
4 tbsp milk
200 g golden syrup
85 g treacle
85 g light soft brown sugar
100 g medium oatmeal
250 g self raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger

Start off by pre-heating your oven to 160C/140CFan/Gas 3 and greasing a 22 cm deep square cake tin and line with baking parchment.

Beat the egg and milk together with a fork, then set aside till needed.

 Next gently melt the syrup, treacle, butter and sugar together in a large pan.

Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat for the next step.

Next mix together the oatmeal, flour and ginger.

Next pour the oatmeal, flour and ginger mixture into the syrup mixture and mix together.

Next pour and mix in the egg and milk mixture.

Next pour into your cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or 1 hour until the cake feels  firm and a little crusty on top.

Allow the cake to cool in the tin. You can leave the parkin for up to 5 days before eating, as this helps it to become softer and stickier, but make sure to cover it during those days.

Once you're ready to eat you can cut the cake into slices, I cut mine into 20 slices.

I couldn't really wait for 5 days to give this a try, but I really love this parkin. I'll happily bake it again once this batch has been eaten, I'm going to try and see if the rest of the slices go softer and stickier. It's definitely the perfect November snack for those cold nights, while you're all warm and cosy at home.

If you would like to follow the original recipe then head to the BBC Good Food Parkin page.

See you soon!



안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment