Friday 21 September 2018

Korean Drama - Black

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images
It's time for another Korean drama post and this time it's the drama Black, this is my 2nd time with Go Ara, which was one of the reasons why this was on my to watch list on Netflix.
Black is a 2017 fantasy-thriller South Korean television series, the series is written by Choi Ran and directed by Kim Hong-sun.
Black aired on OCN on Saturdays and Sundays during the 22:20 (KST) time slot, airing from the 14th of October 2017 and ending on the 10th of December 2017 and ran for 18 episodes.
*If there is only 1 picture of a cast member, it's because I couldn't find a screen grab of them in the series*

Main Cast:
Song Seung-heon as Han Moo-gang/Black
Google Images

Go Ara as Kang Ha-ram
 Google Images

Lee El as Yoon Soo-wan
 Google Images

Kim Dong-jun as Oh Man-soo
 Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Won-hae as Na Gwang-gyun/Crazy Dog
 Google Images

Kim Tae-woo as Grim Reaper #444
 Google Images

Jo Jae-yoon as Grim Reaper #007
 Google Images

Lee Kyu-bok as Grim Reaper #416
 Google Images

Jeong Seok-yong as Bong Man-shik
Google Images

Lee chul-min as Oh Soo-tae
 Google Images

Kim Jae-young as Leo
 Google Images

Oh Cho-hee as Tiffany
 Google Images

Ji Su-won as Seo Young-hwa
 Google Images

The script reading of the cast for the series was held the 4th of July 2017, the series was also under negotiations with Netflix for a simultaneous streaming deal, the episodes aired through Netflix a week behind the original South Korean broadcast, and is still currently available on the streaming service.


Google Images
 Only 3 tracks were released as part of the series' soundtrack and each of those tracks take me back to the series.
Nam Tae-hyun - Take Me Out

leeSA - Like A Film


Han Min-chae - Another Me

I really loved the opening song and the opening credits, I thought they were really chilling.

Black is the story of a grim reaper who is forced to track down his fugitive partner. In the process, he uncovers the truth about a series of cold case murders from 20 years ago. Investigating the murders complicates the reapers primary role of guiding the deceased to their respective afterlife, especially after he falls in love with a mortal woman, which leads him to break rules against involvement in human affairs.

Google Images
I thought that I would firstly mention the theories used in both Goblin and Black about grim reapers, I'm not sure if they have thought these up specifically for the shows or if they are Korean folklore of the grim reaper, both of which I find interesting and made me curious to look further into it. In Goblin grim reapers are created from people acting out what is seen as the biggest sin in life; suicide, while in Black, grim reapers are created from lost souls, for example a soul that is unable to see closure from their death simply because their body has not been found.
I really liked Go Ara when I watched her in Hwarang, so as soon as I saw this on Netflix, I found myself adding it to my list to give it a watch, even the synopsis had me intrigued by what the show would bring; "A Grim Reaper, a detective and a woman who foresees death get ensnared in matters of life and death -- and dark mysteries of twenty years past." This was my first time watching a dark and chilling Korean drama, from the very first episode it had me on the edge of my seat, holding my breath and shedding tears for each of the characters. Black was my introduction to Song Seung-heon, Kim Won-hae (who I've just finished watching in another Netflix Original drama) and ZE:A's Kim Dong-jun. Even though the series was pretty dark, there was still moments of comedy, mainly coming from Black and Na Gwang-gyun aka Crazy Dog. All the cast did an amazing job, I especially loved watching Song Seung-heon, Go Ara, Kim Dong-jun, Lee El, Jo Jae-yoon, Kim Won-hae and Lee Kyu-bok, I don't think anyone could have filled those roles in their places.
Black is full of intense moments, as well as laughter and tears, I had to force myself on a night to stop watching so I could actually go to sleep, otherwise I would have binge-watched the series pretty quickly. I was really happy with how the series ended, nothing was left unanswered and I cried so hard, the series has such a sweet ending, just thinking about it gets me a little teary. I really recommend giving Black a watch, everything about it is on par to being a perfect drama. Even knowing how it ends, I'd happily sit and watch Black again and again and I'm sure I'd still be in tears by the end.

I'm in awe of how many Korean drama's netflix has got their hands on, they really seem to be noticing how popular not only Korean dramas but Asian dramas in general, I think I have all the Asian, especially Korean dramas on my list to watch.
I'm also slowly increasing my list of Korean and Asian dramas that I have watched.

*Dramas currently watching*
A Korean Odyssey
Murphy's Law of Love (Taiwanese)

Have you watched Black?
Did you like the series?
Where you happy with the casting?
Were you happy with how the series ended?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment