Sunday 19 November 2017

Korean Drama - Guardian: The Lonely & Great God

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Google Images
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God is a South Korean TV drama series and is known internationally as Goblin and known as Dokkaebi in South Korea.
The show is written by Kim Eun-Sook and Directed by Lee Eung-Bak, Kwon Hyuk-Chan and Yoon Jong-Ho.
Goblin aired on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday at 8pm from the 2nd of December 2016 until the 21st of January 2017, running for a total of 16 episodes.

The series stars:

Gong Yoo as Kim Shin aka Goblin
Google Images
Kim Go Eun as Ji Eun-Tak
Google Images
Lee Dong-Wook as Grim Reaper
Google Images
Yoo In-Na as Sunny
Google Images
Yook Sungjae as Yoo Deok-Hwa
Google Images
The first script reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul in South Korea on the 30th of August 2016, the Goryeo-era flashbacks were filmed on Gimje, North Jeolla Province on the 22nd September 2016 for the battle scenes, with the palace scenes being filmed at Naju Image Theme Park.
Goblin and Grim Reapers external house shots were filmed at Unhyeongung's western house while overseas filming mainly took place in Quebec City in Canada during October 2016, featuring locations such as the Chateau Frontenac, Parc du Bastion-de-la-reine, Petit Champlain and the Fontaine de Tourny.


Google Images
Goblin was a hit and consistently topped the cable television viewership ratings in it's time-slot, with it's final episode recording an 18.680% nationwide audience share, making the episode the 2nd highest rated in Korean cable television history. Goblin became the first cable drama to surpass 20% ratings.
The drama also sparked various fashion trends, with items and accessories worn by the cast members, such as the Lavin coat worn by Gong Yoo, the Lancome lipstick used by Go Eun and the fedora worn by Lee Dong-Wook seeing an increase in sales.

Soundtracks featured in the series topped local digital music chart, check out some of my favourites now.


OST PT.1
Stay With Me - Chanyeol and Punch

OST PT.3
Hush - Lasse Lindh


OST PT.4
Beautiful - Crush


OST PT.6
Who Are You - Sam Kim


OST PT.7
I Miss You - Soyou


OST PT.11
And I'm Here - Kim Kyung Hee


OST PT.11
Stuck In Love - Kim Kyung Hee


OST PT.14
Round and Round - Heize and Han Soo-Ji

Since 2017, it has surpassed Descendants of the Sun in video-on-demand sales, it's success was attributed to the creative plot, the Korea Times stated "the depth of perspective looking at life of the goblin that bears a bloody sword in his chest and has been given eternal life as punishment, immerses the audience into the fantasy story. The twist and complexity of life and death make the story more interesting.
Despite it's success, Goblin was criticized for it's several consumer product placements, which drew an estimated 2.4 billion KRW from revenue, TV and cultural critics also criticized various aspects of the drama, such as it's strong Cinderella complex and the huge age gap of the lead characters, which might lead to a decline in females social status, it was also criticized for it's over-dramatic plot.

Google Images
Kim Shin is a goblin and protector of souls, he is the landlord of the Grim Reaper who is in charge of taking deceased souls. Shin doesn't want immortality anymore but needs a human goblin's bride in order to end his long life. Meanwhile, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student who despite her painful reality, remains optimistic. She summons the goblin by chance and through various encounters, ends up falling in love with him. Sunny is an owner of a chicken wing shop, a woman who is loved by all men and is also a reincarnation of Kim Shin's sister. These 4 peoples lives change when they encounter and their lives become entangled.

Google Images
So what can I say about this drama? I'm still to watch anything else that effects me the way Goblin did, it took me months to be able to get into another Korean drama. From start to finish this drama was pure aesthetic, the colours, the sets, the styling were all breath-taking. The casting and acting was amazing, I already liked Gong Yoo's acting in Train To Busan but his acting for Goblin was on another level, they all did so well. I don't think there was an episode that didn't have me crying or laughing for that matter, the bromance between Goblin and Grim Reaper was my favourite coupling of the drama as it was for most of the audience. Waking up the next morning of watching the final episode my eyes were seriously puffy from all the crying I did, I'm surprised Skye didn't come into me to see why I was crying because I wasn't doing it quietly, I was literally bawling my eyes out, I think I dehydrated myself from all the crying. I've watched more Korean dramas since but personally for me none have been on par with Goblin, I've enjoyed the dramas I've watched but none of their soundtracks still bring me to tears months after watching.
I seriously do recommend watching Goblin if you haven't yet, whether you watch Korean dramas or not, I really recommend this drama, it's the best drama I've ever watched and my favourite drama of all time.

Have you watched Goblin?
Were you a fan?
Who was your favourite couple?
Do you have a favourite track from the OST?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment