Tuesday 3 July 2018

Slow Cooker Cottage Pie

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



I got myself and Skye into a little bit of a rut to the point every Monday when I finished work we'd be heading over to McDonald's for tea as I just didn't want to be cooking when I got home, so I decided to start finding us slow cooker recipes so that it was cooked when I finished work and we'd have 2 days worth of food, this recipe was originally a shepherd's pie but my local Morrison's didn't have any lamb mince for me to try, so I used beef and made it into a cottage pie.
Shall we get cooking?


Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3-4 thyme sprigs
2 carrots, finely diced
250 g mince beef/lamb can also be used
1 tbsp plain flour
400 g can lentils/white beans
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Topping:
650 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
250 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbsp half-fat creme fraiche

Start off by heating your slow cooker if necessary. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and thyme sprigs and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Next add the carrots and fry together, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown, I also added some mushrooms that I had left from a previous recipe.


Next stir in the mince and fry for about 1-2 minutes until the mince is no longer pink.

Once the mince is no longer pink, stir in the flour, tomato puree and lentils, season with pepper and Worcestershire sauce. If you think your mixture is too dry add a splash of water, I used the liquid from the tin of lentils.

Meanwhile cooking your mince mixture, cook both lots of your potatoes in simmering water for 12-15 minutes or until they a cooked through and soft.

Once cooked drain the potatoes and mash with the creme fraiche. Pour your mince mixture into your slow cooker.

Spoon your mash potatoes over the top of your mince mixture and smooth out.

Cook your cottage pie on low for 5 hours.

Once cooked you're ready to serve.

I really liked this recipe and I have made it again since I first tried it, Skye on the other hand wasn't as bothered especially with the mashed potatoes as she's not really a fan of sweet potato.

If you would like to check out the recipe I followed then head over to Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment