Monday 22 May 2023

Astro - Switch On

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


I can't believe it's been nearly a year and a half since I last posted about Astro, they've had so many good comebacks, it's just took me longer to get my hands on physical copies, the joys of being a multi-stan.

Switch On is Astro's 8th mini album.
On the 14th of July 2021, Sanha's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 5th of July 2021, JinJin's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 16th of July 2021, Cha Eunwoo's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 17th of July 2021, MJ's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 18th of July 2021, Rocky's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 19th of July 2021, Moonbin's Individual Concept Photo's were released.

On the 21st of July 2021, the Group Concept Photo's were released.

On the 22nd of July 2021, Individual Special Photo's were released.


On the 23rd of July 2021, the Track List was released.
On the 26th of July 2021, the After Midnight M/V Teaser #1 was released.
Owned by Fantagio Music
On the 28th of July 2021, the Switch On Highlight Medley was released.
Owned by Fantagi Music
On the 30th of July 2021, the After Midnight M/V Teaser #2 was released.
Owned by Fantagio Music
On the 2nd of August 2021, the M/V for After Midnight was released, along with the physical and digital release of their 8th mini album Switch On.
Owned by Fantagio Music

After Midnight won Astro 4 music show trophies, winning once on The Show, once on Show Champion, once on Music Bank and once on Show! Music Core.

Eunwoo, JinJin and Rocky co-wrote on the lyrics for title track After Midnight.
Moonbin co-wrote on the lyrics for 발자국 (Footprint).
JinJin co-wrote on the lyrics for Waterfall.
MJ, Rocky and JinJin co-wrote on the lyrics for 노을 그림 (Sunset Sky), with MJ also co-composing on the track.
JinJin and Rocky co-wrote on the lyrics for My Zone, with JinJin and Sanha co-composing on the track.
Eunwoo, JinJin and Rocky co-wrote on the lyrics for Don't Worry, with Rocky and Eunwoo also co-composing on the track.

Switch On peaked at No.1 on the Circle Albums Chart, and No.2 on the Oricon Albums Chart.
Circle Sales = 310,979+
Oricon Sales = 59,361+
Giving the album a total of 370,340+ in physical sales.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for After Midnight has so far gained 35,968,303 million views, with the views continuing to increase.

Switch On was released in 2 versions: On and Off.
Both versions are set out in a box case and comes with the Cd, photo book, random lyric book, sticker sheet, random postcard and 2 random photo cards.
First-Press releases also came with a random polaroid.
Photo books for both versions are different.

Track List
After Midnight
발자국 (Footprint)
Waterfall
노을 그림 (Sunset Sky)
My Zone
Don't Worry

















































I have the On version and I love the colours of this version compared to the Off version.
I like the layout, it's pretty simple and the photo book is like a behind the scenes style concept. This album is the first time I've pulled an Eunwoo photo card, so getting his photo card and polaroid made me happy.
The album itself is really good, I love it there's a mixture of songs, from upbeat to ballads, Astro are a group that shows great versatility.

After Midnight is one of the title tracks that I love to listen to and each time I hear it, it sounds like I'm hearing it for the first time all over again. I love the melody and no matter how many times I listen to it, I always find myself singing and dancing along.
After Midnight

발자국 (Footprint) gives me strong summer vibes, and it's definitely one of my favourite tracks from the album. I especially love the melody, I would think with a name like footprint it would be a ballad but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it for the first time.
발자국 (Footprint)

If you want a group that harmonize perfectly, then Astro is the perfect group for you and Waterfall showcases their harmony perfectly. The chorus for this song is absolutely stunning, it's so good it gives me chills.
Waterfall

It's ballad time with 노을 그림 (Sunset Sky), this song always gives me drama soundtrack feels. I love the blend between their vocals and the raps, it makes it such a stunning song.
노을 그림 (Sunset Sky)

The chorus for My Zone is so addictive and catchy, it's definitely one of my favourite b-side tracks of theirs. I love the contrast between their vocal tones, making the melody fit the melody and pitch perfectly.
My Zone

Don't Worry is such a good and stunning track to complete the album with. It makes me think about how Aroha are there for Astro and vice versa.
Don't Worry

For me Astro are a group that all the members are given the chance to shine, for me that's a group that is a true unity, Astro may have members that are more popular than others individually but for me, when they're together as a group, they're just Astro.

Right now I'm conflicted on what I want to see happen with them, as on the 28th of February, 2023, Fantagio announced that Rocky had left the group as well as the company.
Then sadly on the 20th of April, 2023, Fantagio confirmed that passing of Moonbin, something that for me a month later, still doesn't seem real, I know in months, even years down the line when I watch Astro, I'll have those moments of realisation that he's gone, like I do with both Chadwick Boseman and Heath Ledger.
As much as I would love Astro to do what SHINee have done and keep the group going in his memory, I just want them to do what they think is right for them and if they decide to disband, then I'm glad I got to share 5 years of their career with them, and I will continue to stay by their sides.

Were you a fan of Switch On?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version(s) did you get?
Were you a fan of Afternoon Midnight as the title track?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment