Friday 25 November 2022

FEED - Book Review

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


FEED is the first book in the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant.
The book was published by Orbit Books and it was published in 2010.

Mira Grant's interests in horror movies and virology inspired her to write the book, but she struggled with the plot until a friend suggested using an election as a framing device.
The novel has been praised for it's detailed worldbuilding, including the characters' awareness of previous zombie fiction - an element Grant found lacking in most horror works.

FEED came 2nd in the 2011 Hugo Award for Best Novel category.

FEED is set during the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse and written from the perspective of blog journalist Georgia Mason, FEED follows Georgia and her news team as they follow the presidential campaign of Republican Senator Peter Ryman. A series of deadly incidents leads Georgia and her brother Shaun to discover efforts to undermine the campaign, linked to a larger conspiracy involving the undead.

'ALIVE OR DEAD, THE TRUTH WON'T REST.
MY NAME IS GEORGIA MASON, AND I AM BEGGING YOU, RISE UP WHILE YOU CAN'
The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had cured the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds, with one unstoppable command: FEED.
Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.


I think no matter how many times I read FEED, I'll always struggle to put it down, which to me is a sign of a good author. Mira Grant blew me away with this book and it's definitely one of my favourite books, as well as one of my favourite book series'. I love that it's told from Georgia's point of view and I love that she goes into the ins and outs of blogging after the Rising as well as the different roles each of her teammates play within their site.
Throughout the book we're taken on twists and turns, which still bring me to tears, give me that lump in my throat, has me holding my breath and keeping me on the edge of my seat, you're definitely taken on an emotional rollercoaster throughout the book.
I remember the first time I read this book, I had to have a moment to myself because I was in shock from the ending, I don't think a book has ever affected me in a way that I needed to have a moment to get over the ending, and even the 2nd time round, I still struggled to hold back the tears.
I've recently read that there is an alternate ending to this book, and I can honestly say that while the alternate ending would have been sad and heart breaking, I think this one, really pulls at the heartstrings as you've come to love each one of the characters, I also think throughout the book that you're friends and family with each of the characters too. For me while traumatising, it's the perfect ending for the first book.
I honestly can't put into words how amazing this book is, all I can do is recommend it, and hope you're just as hooked as I was and still am. I can only hope that one day there will be a series adaptation or even a movie series. I personally think this book and series work adapt really well to the screen, especially if Mira Grant is behind the wheel.

I can't wait to get back into the series with the 2nd and 3rd book and relive it all again, and I don't know what you're waiting for, go read it yourself and enjoy the ride.

'A truly shocking ending' - Daily Telegraph

'The zombie novel Robert. A Heinlein might have written' - Sci-Fi Magazine

Mira Grant Novels
Newsflesh:
FEED
DEADLINE
BLACKOUT

Parasitology:
PARASITE
SYMBIONT
CHIMERA

Into the Drowning Deep

Alien: Echo

Canto Bight

Final Girls

Kingdom of Needle and Bone

In the Shadow of Spindrift House

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment