Friday 30 September 2022

The Ink Black Heart - Book Review

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


The Ink Black Heart is the 6th instalment in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling.
The book was published by Sphere Books on the 30th of August 2022.

The Ink Black Heart sold 50,738 copies in it's first week on sale in the UK, placing it 1st on the UK Official Top 50 Book sales list.

The novel was criticised for self-insertion, in which a woman is killed after being accused of transphobia. It was compared to Rowling's previous controversial statements surrounding transgender people. Rowling denied the claims that the book was inspired by her own controversies, stating, "I had written the book before certain things happened to me online".

When frantic, dishevelled Edie Ledwell appears in the office begging to speak to her, private detective Robin Ellacott doesn't know quite what to make of the situation. The co-creator of a popular cartoon, The Ink Black Heart, Edie is being persecuted by a mysterious online figure who goes by the pseudonym of Anomie. Edie is desperate to uncover Anomie's true identity.
Robin decides that the agency can't help with this - and thinks nothing more of it until a few days later, when she reads the shocking news that Edie has been tasered and then murdered in Highgate Cemetery, the location of The Ink Black Heart.
Robin and her business partner Cormoran Strike become drawn into the quest to uncover Anomie's true identity. But with a complex web of online aliases, business interests and family conflicts to navigate, Strike and Robin find themselves embroiled in a case that stretches their powers of deduction to the limits - and which threatens them in new and horrifying ways...
A gripping, fiendishly clever mystery, The Ink Black Heart is a true tour-de-force.


I will be honest at say I didn't think we would find out who the culprit was, it really did cut it close towards the end of the book for the culprit to be found and revealed and I can honestly say that even though I was trying to figure it out, I still didn't and in that final part I could feel myself holding my breath while everything developed.
I enjoyed meeting the new characters, and I hope we get to hear about them again in future books, I feel this book was more nerve-wracking than any of the past books because it heavily focuses on cyber-bullying, something we see a lot of. I don't think there is anything scarier than not knowing who is behind that keyboard abusing and threatening you, they really have the power of anonymity, allowing their victims to feel powerless.
I did find the private chats a little confusing and hard to read at times, but I did enjoy following that side of the story, I think it gave more of an in depth look into the minds of the characters that loved The Ink Black Heart cartoon, and I definitely wasn't expecting it to take the turn it did in the chats.
I loved that we got more of an in depth look into both Robin and Strike's relationship in that they both try really hard to keep the relationship and partnership to friends only but they seem to finally be able to come to terms with their true feelings, so I can't wait to see how it all develops between them.
It took me a week to complete reading, and even though I thought at times it seemed a little slow, I think it flowed really well. I don't know if I would see it's my favourite from the series but it's definitely the most spine-chilling book in the series so far. It definitely makes me excited to see what's next in store for the agency and what their next case will be.
I can't wait to get my teeth into the next instalment, but I know that I'm in for a long wait.

PRAISE FOR THE STRIKE NOVELS:

'The work of a master storyteller' - Daily Telegraph

'A finely honed, superbly constructed thriller' - Daily Mail

'Strike and Robin are just as magnetic as ever' - New York Times

'Outrageously entertaining' - Financial Times

'One of Crime's most engaging duos' - Guardian

'A page-turner that will keep you up all night' - Observer

'A blistering piece of crime writing' - Sunday Times

Robert Galbraith Strike Series:
The Cuckoo's Calling
The Silkworm
Career Of Evil
Lethal White
Troubled Blood
The Ink Black Heart

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment