Hello
안녕하세요
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)
I've cooked sweet and sour chicken before, but never thought about cooking it Hong Kong style. I was surprised with how eas it was, even if a little messy to make, I came across this recipe on the BBC Good Food website.
Lets get cooking!
Ingredients:
For the Chicken:
Sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
100ml soda water, chilled
140g self-raising flour
25g cornflour
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
spring onions, thinly cut to serve
For the Sauce:
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 tsp gochujang paste
425g can pineapple chunks
4 star anise
50g tamarind paste
100g caster sugar
100ml rice wine vinegar
To make the sauce, put the red pepper, gochujang and pineapple juice in a pan. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Once cooked, puree in a food processor/blender.
Return to the pan with the pineapple chunks, star anise tamarind sugar and vinegar. Gently simmer for 20-30 minutes until reduced and sticky. Keep warm, or reheat later.
Fill a large pan 1 cm deep with oil and heat until simmering.
Whisk the soda water and 100ml cold water into the self-raising flour with a little salt. Stir the batter well.
Tip the cornflour onto a plate, line a tray with kitchen roll and turn the oven onto low. Dust the chicken pieces with the cornflour .
Dip in the batter.
One at a time, lower into the hot oil, about 5-6 pieces a batch. Turn up the heat to keep the chicken frying, if needed. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning once.
Once cooked, drain on the tray, and keep warm in the oven. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
Reheat the sauce, stack the chicken onto a plate, and scatter the spring onions.
I served mine with rice.
I served the sauce separately for Skye, but I covered my chicken with mine and it was delicious. I think in the future I'd place the chicken in the sauce while reheating it and serve it like it comes from the takeaway. It was full of flavour and tasted just liked I'd ordered a Chinese for us.
It was pretty easy an simple to make, even if it was slightly messy with the batter. I'll happily cook this again, and I'd definitely recommend this for other to cook and try.
If you would like to follow the original recipe, then head over to the BBC Good Food Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe page.
See you soon!






























No comments:
Post a Comment