Monday 17 May 2021

Stray Kids - I am NOT

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


I am NOT is the debut mini album from Stray Kids, and on the 5th of March 2018, the I am NOT Trailer was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 20th of March 2018, the Inst. Lyric Card 1 "NOT!", Inst. Lyric Card 2 "District 9", Inst. Lyric Card 3 "Mirror" and Inst. Lyric Card 4 "Awaken" were released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 21st of March 2018, the Inst. Lyric Card 5 "Rock (돌)", Inst. Lyric Card 6 "잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up) and Inst. Lyric Card 7 "3rd Eye" were released.
Owned JYP Entertainmet
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 22nd of March 2018, the District 9 Teaser Video 1 was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 23rd of March 2018, the District 9 Teaser Video 2 was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 26th of March 2018, the M/V was released for District 9, along with the physical and digital release of their debut mini album I am NOT.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 31st of March 2018, the 잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up) M/V was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 2nd of April 2018, the District 9 Dance Practice Video was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 21st of April 2018, the Mirror Performance Video Teaser was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 22nd of April 2018, the Mirror Performance Video was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 27th of April 2018, the Rock (돌) Video (Street Ver.) was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 30th of April 2018, the Mirror Dance Practice (Random Speed Ver.) was released.
Owned by JYP Entertainment
On the 4th of May 2018, the Mirror Dance Practice (Part Switch Ver.) was released.
Owned JYP Entertainment

Stray Kids held a debut showcase the day before the albums release titled Stray Kids Unveil: OP.01: I am NOT.

Bang Chan wrote the lyrics for NOT!, as well as co-composing on the track.
3racha wrote the lyrics for Mirror, Awaken, Rock (돌), 잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up), 3rd Eye and title track District 9, 3racha also co-composed on the tracks.
Stray Kids wrote the lyrics for the physical mini album bonus track Mixtape#1, with 3racha and Woojin co-composing the track.

I am NOT peaked at No.4 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.23 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart and No.5 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales = 149,345+
Oricon Sales = 2,036+
Giving the album a total 151,381+ in sales so far.
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for District 9 has so far gained 52,945,839 million views, with the views continuing to increase on a daily basis.

Track List:
NOT!
District 9
Mirror
Awaken
Rock (돌)
잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up)
3rd Eye
Mixtape#1 (Physical Release Only)
































































The layout for this album is pretty simple and is pretty much the same as their other I am albums as well as their Cle album series, I think even for me the photo book is pretty basic, but it was their debut mini album so I won't hold it against them.
Stray Kids know how to create unique albums and songs and their debut was no different.

If you're new to Stray Kids, then NOT! may sound familiar as it was included in their comeback for their 1st full length album, showing how far they had come from their debut.
I think the melody is pretty simple, and allows you to focus on what they're saying and the meaning behind the album and their concept, I think it also represents the K-pop world in general.
NOT!

For a debut track, I think District 9 is amazing, I saw them promoting on music shows and really liked their debut title track, but at the time I was more focused on TRCNG, but better late than never right! I love everything about this track, especially the vocals and the raps, I also love the intro because as soon as the track starts, you know it's going to be a song that goes hard and shows what they're capable of.
District 9

I can't listen to District 9 without Mirror automatically playing next in my head, I love the chorus for this song, I love how it's sung, I love the contrast between the verses being rapped and the bridge and chorus being sung.
Mirror

I love Awaken, it has a rockier sound and to me sounds like it would fit perfectly into an anime's soundtrack.
Awaken

Rock (돌) is a track that shows another side to them, showing how uniwue they are even in their debut.
Rock (돌)

I love the melody and pace for 잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up), the melody fits perfectly with their vocals and the raps, I love the lyrics, it carries such a meaningful message. I think everyone when young wished away their youth, thinking things would be so much easier, but in reality, you learn and make mistakes in your youth, these lessons you can take into adulthood. So in short cherish your youth, if you're struggling, step back and look at the situation, and remember your future is yours not someone else's.
잘 하고 있어 (Grow Up)

For me 3rd Eye, is them wanting the insight and wisdom, not only about themselves, but their future and careers. As we grow we can sometimes change without knowing it, and sometimes it can be for the worst, it's not until we step back and look at ourselves and within ourselves that we can see that change and what it's doing to those around us. I love their raps and vocals in this track, you can feel and hear the pain and desperation which I think adds to the lyrics and music.
3rd Eye

I've talked about Mixtape#1 before in my Cle 2: Yellow Wood, but just to repeat what I said in that post, I think Mixtape #1 is another chill out track, I love the melody and I love the lyrics, all their voices blend well with the music and I love Woojin's high note at the end. The more I listen to this track the more I fall in love with everything about it.
Mixtape#1

While I am NOT, isn't one of the albums I listen to a lot, I still enjoy listening to it and for me becoming a STAY a little later shows how much they've grown and it also shows me how unique they have been since their debut, they haven't fallen for the usual K-pop trends and have stayed (no pun intended) true to themselves as a group, even through their difficulties. It shows that hard work prevails, no matter the fork in the road, they will continue to take the journey that's true to them.

So far as expected, Stray Kids have been blowing me away with their performances on Kingdom: Legendary War, I can't wait to see more from them and see what they bring us with their next comeback.

Stray Kids everywhere all around the world, you make Stray Kids Stay!

Were you a fan of I am NOT?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version(s) did you choose?
What were your thought's on District 9 as their title and debut track?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment