Saturday 7 November 2020

Korean Drama - The King: Eternal Monarch

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

The King: Eternal Monarch is a 2020 fantasy romance drama that premiered on SBS TV and Netflix globally on the 17th of April.
The series is written by Kim Eun-Sook and directed by Baek Sang-Hoon, Jung Ji-Hyun & Yoo Je-Won.
The series aired from the 17th of April 2020, airing for 16 episodes and concluding on the 12th of June 2020.

Main Cast:
Lee Minho as Lee Gon
Google Images

Jung Hyeon-Jun as Young Lee Gon
Google Images

Kim Go-Eun as Jeong Tae-Eul
Google Images

Kim Si-Woo as Young Tae-Eul
Google Images

Woo Do-Hwan as Jo Yeong/Jo Eun-Sup
Google Images

Kim Kyung-Nam as Kang Shin-Jae
Google Images

Jung Eun-Chae as Koo Seo-Ryeong
Google Images

Lee Jung -Jin as Lee Lim
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Young-Ok as Noh Ok-Nam
Google Images

Jeon Bae-Soo as Jeong Do-In
Google Images

Seo Jeong-Yeon as Song Jung-Hye
Google Images

Park Won-Sang as Park Moon-Sik
Google Images

Kim Yong-Ji as Myeong Na-Ri/Myeong Seung-Ah
Google Images

Kang Hong-Seok as Jang Michael
Google Images

Lee Hae-Young as Yoo Kyung-Moo
Google Images

Hwang Young-Hee as Min Hwa-Yeon
Google Images

Baek Hyun-Joo as Secretary Mo
Google Images

Lee Hong-Nae as Seok Ho-Pil
Google Images

Tae In-Ho as Chairman Choe Min-Hwan

The first script reading took place on the 17th of September 2019.
The series was hailed as one of the most anticipated series' in the first half of 2020, due to it's ensemble cast, screenwriter, extensive publicity and production budget.
The series also set a record for SBS's highest 2020 Friday-Saturday drama premiere ratings. It maintained the No.1 spot on the weekly Wavve drama chart for 8 consecutive weeks, and GMA News Online termed it a "hit Netflix drama" due to it's popularity overseas.
The series received mixed reviews and lower-than-expected domestic TV viewership ratings on later episodes.

Check out the trailers for The King: Eternal Monarch below.
Teaser Trailer #1
The Swoon

Trailer

Like many Korean dramas that I have watched there are songs from the OST that take me right back in and bring back all the emotions, below are some of my favourites.
Hwasa - Orbit
Stone Music Entertainment

Kim Jong-Wan - 연 (Gravity)

Yongzoo - Maze

Davichi - Please Don't Cry

Paul Kim - Dream

Zico & Wendy - 나의 하루는 다 너로 가득해 (My Day is Full of You)

Gummy - My Love

Lee Gon, a modern day emperor of the Kingdom of Corea, attempts to cross the barrier into an alternate reality where the Republic of Korea exists in the Kingdom's stead. He comes across detective Jung Tae-Eul, whom he recognizes from an identity card he obtained during the turning-point of his childhood, his fathers assassination.
Lee Gon's half-uncle, Lee Lim, who assassinated the previous King, Lee Ho, is in hiding and assembling armies whilst traversing back and forth between the two parallel worlds.

Google Images

My main interest for this drama was because of Kim Go-Eun, I loved her in Guardian: The Lonely & Great God and I was excited to see her in a new drama, one of which Netflix had gotten it's hands on. The cast for this drama is amazing, each and everyone of them blew me away in their roles, I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else in those roles. While I loved this drama, there parts for me that were a little hit & miss, but it was the cast that made it worth watching. There's characters to hate, characters that have you constantly laughing and moments that you can't help but cry.
This is actually my first drama with Lee Minho, I'm familiar with him and do have some of his dramas in my watch lists but this is actually the first time I've watched one of his dramas, and it definitely won't be the last drama I watch of his. Let's be honest is there anyone better to play Lee Gon than Lee Minho, if you were unfamiliar with him and just took one look at him you would think he was already royalty with his prince looks. I loved Minho's acting in this drama, I think he was spot on, I couldn't help falling in love with him, he's very charming.
In some ways Kim Go-Eun's character is similar to her role in Guardian: The Lonely & Great God, in that she's strong, works hard and doesn't take crap from anyone. The difference is Luna, if you haven't watched this series I won't day too much about it but watching Go-Eun as Luna was amazing, it as nice to see her acting darker and more vengeful.
If I'm being completely honest, for me Woo Do-Hwan stole the show, if any drama was going prove he's a versatile actor, it's his dual roles of Jo Yeong and Jo Eun-Sup. His characters were total opposites of one another and he really pulled them both off exceptionally. After getting to know Jo Yeong, when we were first introduced to Eun-Sup, I couldn't help being in a fit of hysterics.
I loved Kim Kyung-Nam as Kang Shin-Jae, I felt that while his story was expected, it still had me shocked and heartbroken. I loved that he had a cold exterior but his weakness was his mother and Tae-Eul. You could tell when it came to it turning his back on the people he loved, his exterior and personality became colder and harder.
This is extremely horrible to say but I think Jung Eun-Chae has resting bitch face and you can't help but think she is a bitch, but I would love to see her in other dramas in more softer roles, because lets be honest Koo Seo-Ryeong is your typical bitch that thinks she's better and above everyone else and thinks because she wants it she deserves it, so much so we see her go to any lengths to achieve her goals.
All dramas need that villain that you can't help but hate and want to see them fall from grace, and Lee Jung-Jin was perfect as Lee Lim. He's the bad guy you can't help but hate and despise, from the very first episode you see how greedy he is for power and will stop at nothing to destroy everything and everyone to get what he wants, even when that means assassinating his brother and almost murdering his young nephew, something he wants to eventually succeed in.
I'd love to talk about all the cast, but if I did I'd be here all day and I'm sure I'd end up boring you, with how long I could go on for. So let me just say again how amazing this cast is, each one brought something to the table and I couldn't imagine their roles without them.

I'd happily sit and watch this drama again just for the cast, I loved the ending, it wasn't something I'd seen before, which for me kept it new and fresh.
I really do recommend giving it a watch and witnessing yourself the amazing acting.

Have you watched The King: Eternal Monarch?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the script and plot?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment