Friday 2 October 2020

Korean Drama - Kingdom Season 2

 Hello

안녕하세요 

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは 

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao

Google Images

If you haven't seen my previous post on Kingdom, then here is a little recap, Kingdom is a South Korean and Netflix Original television series, adapted from the web comic series The Kingdom of the Gods written by Kim Eun-hee and drawn by Yang Kyung-il.
The drama series is also written Kim Eun-hee and is directed by Kim Seong-hun.
Season 1 of the series was released on the 25th of January 2019, containing 6 episodes, with runtime varying between 43-56 minutes each episode.
Season 2 was released on the 13th of March 2020, also containing 6 episodes, with runtimes varying between 36-52 minutes each episode.

Main Cast:
Ju Ji-hoon as Crown Prince Lee Chang
Google Images

Ryu Seung-ryong as Cho Hak-ju
Google Images

Bae Doo-na as Seo-bi
Google Images

Kim Sung-gyu as Yeong-shin
Google Images

Kim Sang-ho as Mu-yeong
Google Images

Jeon Seok-ho as Cho Beom-pal
Google Images

Kim Hye-jun as Queen Consort Cho
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Kim Tae-hoon as Lee Gong-yun
Google Images

Park Byung-eun as Min Chi-rok
Google Images

Jo Han-chul as Won Yu
Google Images

Ahn Eun-jin as Mu-yeong's Wife
Google Images

On Rotten Tomatoes, the 2nd season reported a 100% rating, with an average rating of 8.25/10, based on 6 reviews.

Season 2 of Kingdom continues to depict Lee Chang's struggle to save his people from the spread of the plague and his dynasty from the machinations of the powerful Haewon Cho clan. As Gyeongsang province is sealed off to trap Lee Chang and prevent further spread of the plague, a series of devastating revelations at the city of Sangju changes the balance of power and the onset of winter changes the behaviour of the undead hordes.
While Lee Chang rallies is allies to secure their position against the undead, the political intrigue in Hanyang continues to unfold as Queen Consort Cho puts a deadly plan into action to secure a male heir that can usurp the Crown Prince. As tensions between the rival factions rise, with death and betrayal on both sides, it all seems there are no lengths to which the Haewon Cho clan will not go in order to secure the throne, and so Lee Chang is forced into a risky plan to storm the capital Hanyang and take a final stand before it's too late.
As calamity looms among the living, only one question remains, can the Prince save his people in time and end the political turmoil in the capital, or will the plague mark the end of the Joseon dynasty?

There's always a little fear that a second season won't live up to the excitement of the first, but for me, that didn't happen with the 2nd season of Kingdom. Like the first season I was kept on the edge of my seat.
While the 2nd season focused more on the characters, we saw less gore as the undead hordes beginnings were looked into rather than the hordes of the now, we get to see how each character develops, giving us some unexpected shocks.
Like season 1 I flew through the 2nd season, and even had a viewing buddy in Skye this time round, she was just as hooked as I was. What I love about this series is that even though you know who are the bad guys, who betrays who, and how it concludes for now, it's still enjoyable to watch and it still keeps me on the edge of my seat. I won't deny that by the end of the 2nd season, I was shedding a few tears, but I'm also excited to see what happens in the 3rd season. I'm sure season 3 will focus more on how this plague came to be and introduce more new characters, especially as a new character was teased at the end of the final episode.
The cast yet again did an amazing job, I was blown away by each and every one of them, you always have those characters that you want to live and want to meet their gruesome end, but that for me just shows that they are bringing their role to life. I also love that neither of the cast stood out individually for me which I think gives the show and series a good balance because for me it means no one was better than someone else.
I cannot wait for the 3rd season, with everything going off we might be waiting a little longer for it, but I know it will be well worth the wait.
I was extremely happy when I saw the release date for the 2nd season was on my birthday, it was like they were giving me a birthday gift, something which was made even more special for me when Bae Doo-na herself aka Seo-bi wished me a happy birthday to my comment on her instagram post.

If you haven't yet checked out Kingdom, then I highly recommend that you do, it's definitely a series I can watch over and over again without getting bored.

Are you a fan of Kingdom?
Have you watched season 2?
Are you looking forward to the next instalment?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment