Friday 17 April 2020

Korean Drama - Because This Is My First Life

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Because This Is My First life is a South Korean romance drama television series written by Yoon Nan-joong and directed by Park Joon-hwa.
The series aired on tvN every Monday and Tuesday starting from the 9th of October 2017 and concluding on the 28th of November 2017, the series contains 16 episodes.

Main Cast:
Lee Min Ki as Nam Sae Hee
 Google Images

Jung So Min as Yoon Ji Ho
 Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Esom as Woo Su Ji
 Google Images

Park Byung Eun as Ma Sang Goo
Google Images

Kim Ga Eun as Yang Ho Rang
 Google Images

Kim Min Seok as Sim Won Seok
 Google Images

Kim Eung Soo as Nam He Bong
Google Images

Moon Hee Kyung as Jo Myung Ji
Google Images

Kim Byeong Ok as Yoon Jong Soo
 Google Images

Kim Sun Young as Kim Hyun Ja
 Google Images

Noh Jonghyun as Yoon Ji Suk
 Google Images

Yoon Bomi as Yoon Bomi
 Google Images

Kim Min Kyu as Yeon Bok Nam
 Google Images

 Like with a majority of the dramas I watch, this drama also had an amazing soundtrack, that when I listen to the songs, I'm transported back into the scenes.
U Ji - 별 그림 (Star Figure)

Haebin - Everyday


MeloMance - 사랑하고 싶게 돼 (I Want To Love)


MoonMoon - 결혼 (Marriage)


Moon Sung Nam - This Life
MelodicKpopSubs

Ryu Ji Hyun - Tomorrow


Ben - 갈 수가 없어 (Can't Go)

Stone Music Entertainment

This drama is about different points of view on careers, relationships and marriage.
What can a house-poor man and a financially strapped woman do? Nam Sae Hee is a single man in his early 30's who has managed to buy his own home. But his mortgage takes all of his disposable income and he has little left to do much else. Yoon Ji Ho is a single woman in her early 30's who barely makes enough money to get by and has given up on dating because of her financial situation.
Through unexpected circumstances, Ji Ho becomes a renter in Sae Hee's house, and they become housemates. Can they help each other grapple with their own individual financial issues?

Google Images

There was a few familiar faces for me in this drama, but only because I'd watched a few of them once in other dramas, except for Jung So Min, who was the reason why I decided to give this drama a go. I love the whole concept of this series, many drama's show how easy it is to fall in love, get married or even become friends, but I enjoyed that each episode was someone's first, highlighting the whole this being their first and only life. I felt that the drama definitely took some rather unexpected turns and also touched topics that I've not seen touched in a drama before, foe example how lightly women are taken when it comes to sexual abuse or even sexual harassment, whether it be at home or in the workplace. This drama had comedic moments and heartache as each of the characters had to come to terms with their lives and plans not going as they expected.
This is my first drama with Lee Min Ki and my first impression of his character Nam Sae Hee, was that he was a socially awkward nerd, when in fact as the drama progressed you come to learn that he becomes the way he is because of heartache in his past. I love that Yoon Ji Ho opens his eyes and heart back up to a world of love and friendship, I love that by the end of the drama that even though he's still the same he's less reserved and happy to enjoy more firsts.
I've watched a few dramas now with Jung So Min, and I think she did amazingly yet again in her role. Poor Yoon Ji Ho from start to finish is on a rollercoaster, with her life and emotions, she's often faced with tough obstacles and decisions, but one thing she always makes sure is that she does whats best for her. There were times when my heart broke for her and I could only hope things would work out well for her. 
I think one of the main character developments for me was Esom as Woo Su Ji, working in a man's world she's often harassed at work, which to work peacefully has always took on the chin and accepted, until she meets Ma Sang Goo, who finally makes her understand she's worth so much more and doesn't need to be viewed as someone who is vulnerable. While she shows of a hard exterior, I love that has the series develops we get to learn and see that she's soft at heart and just struggles to let people in and open her heart, family and future to those who love her.
I think Park Byung Eun was one of the cast members that was there to add comedy, Ma Sang Goo's friendship with Sae Hee, is unexpected but heartwarming at the same time, they're both chalk and cheese and really bounce off one another. He also likes to make sure he does whats best even if those involved don't initially agree. I loved watching his and Su Ji's relationship blossom, they both brought out the best of one another, while making you laugh.
Kim Ga Eun did a great job as Yang Ho Rang, but I personally couldn't agree with her character and at times thought she was selfish, if she didn't get what she wanted she threw a tantrum and when effort was put in she was ungrateful. She was a woman that knew what she wanted but never once stopped to see if it was what those involved wanted too. I felt that a majority of this drama was either her yelling or crying.
I loved Kim Min Seok as Sim Won Seok, his friendship with Sang Goo was hilarious, with him often turning to him for advice, which was more than enough ill advised and had you laughing. I felt bad for him as he was often trying his hardest to achieve his goals and dreams but he was always met with failure. He was clueless when it came to his relationship and tried his hardest to gain Ho Rang's approval. I think he did the best for their relationship as it helped them both to step back and re-evaluate what they wanted and how they were going to get there.
I thought Bomi's character was another that was there to add comedy to the series, she made me laugh with how abrupt she was with whatever she was saying, I loved that she was serious and hard-working by day and a party girl by night, it showed that she was human and more than meets the eye.
The little plot with Kim Min Kyu's character Yeon Bok Nam was weird and really funny, the whole is or isn't he a bad guy was fun to try and figure out.


I loved the ending for the drama, it closed it off perfectly for each of the characters, as well as keeping the premise of the whole series, is that you find what works for you and that's how you keep creating firsts with those around you. 

Have you watched Because This Is My First Life?
Did you like the casting?
Were you a fan of the plot and meaning?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment