Sunday 27 May 2018

Some Kind of Wonderful - Book Review

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



It's time to review Giovanna Fletcher's latest book release Some Kind of Wonderful.

When the love of your life says you're not The One, who are you?
Lizzy and Ian have been a couple since the first week of university. Now, after celebrating a decade together, everyone thinks they're about to get engaged.

Instead, a romantic escape to Dubai leaves Lizzy with no ring, no fiance and no future.

Lizzy is heartbroken - but through the tears, she sees an opportunity. This is her moment to discover what she's been missing while playing Ian's ideal "better half".

But how much has Ian changed her, and who should she be without him?

Determined to discover who she is at heart, Lizzy sets out to rediscover the girl she was before - and, in the meantime, have a little fun...

I want to start off by saying that personally for me this is Gi's BEST book so far in her author career. Like all of her books I ended the story in tears and this time it was because throughout the book, I was Lizzy. I'm sure many people may agree that when you've spent a long time in a relationship with someone you've loved and saw the rest of your life with, that when it came to a sudden and crushing end, you couldn't help thinking, what's wrong with me? what did I do wrong? If he/she doesn't love me or want to be with me anymore who will?
Just over 2 years ago I was going though those exact feelings and thoughts wondering how I would get through it all. This is why throughout the book I felt I was Lizzy, all the ways Gi described how Lizzy was coping, I could relate to.
For me Some Kind of Wonderful is an empowering book that I think could benefit not only women but also men that were having those exact feelings and wondering how they can become the person they need and want to be.
Thanks to Some Kind of Wonderful it made me realise even more just how far I have come with not just how I see myself but how I also feel about myself, I may not still be 100% confident about the way I look or my body shape, but I've come realise that I am who I am and I should be proud of who I am as an individual. There were three sentences in the book that really resonated with me and they were "We never really know what others are going through or have been through. Sometimes even the happiest of souls can be the ones suffering the worst pain". This stuck with me because not only have I held up a facade when I would tell my friends that I was doing good blah blah blah, but it also reminded me of a taboo subject; depression, anyone can seem happy on the outside but we never really know what they're dealing with on the inside and sometimes it's too late to find out. The second was "Not my story". We can always look at someone elses life and how it's shaping out but they're story isn't yours, and the final sentence was "It's time to head through and see what the moment holds. One more breath. In. Out. Calm. Lets go". No matter how many doors open for you they're all just chapters of your own personal story and what both Gi and Some Kind of Wonderful reminded me is that you make choices for you, for your journey in life and for your story and life lessons that you can pass onto others.
I've always loved the way Gi writes and that didn't change with this book, I really hope we get a sequel to this book so we can continue Lizzy's journey and see where her story takes her. I really recommend this book and the rest of her books, she really knows how to pull you into her books and make you feel that you could be reading your own story.

I give Some Kind of Wonderful 5 stars and I repeat again that it's her BEST book to date.

PRAISE FOR GIOVANNA FLETCHER:

Heartbreakingly beautiful - Paige Toon

Gorgeous, gloriously romantic - Jill Mansell

Sweet and sparkling - Carole Matthews

Fun and full of heart - Heart

Check out her complete collection:
Billy & Me
You're The One I Want
Dream A Little Dream
Some Kind of Wonderful
Short Stories:
Christmas With Billy & Me
Dream A Little Christmas Dream
Non-Fiction
Happy Mum, Happy Baby

I can't wait to read her next solo book but I'm also excited to read the 3 part book series for Eve of Man that she's written with her husband Tom, I'm sure it will be a big seller.

See you soon!




안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment