Friday 10 November 2017

Honey & Herb Lamb

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



I think my resolution for next year will be to do more cooking (and baking) posts as to say it's part of my main posts on my blog, I've not really done much this year, I think my main goal is to do at lease 2 cooking posts a month (as well as 2 baking posts a month). Today's cooking post is something I've never cooked before and it's not something I tend to eat either at home or when out, so I thought I'd give lamb a try.
Shall we get cooking?


Ingredients:
1.4 kg shoulder of lamb, trimmed
1/2 bunch thyme, leaves only
Handful dried camomile (4 camomile teabags)
4 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
12 sage leaves, roughly chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp olive oil
125 ml water

Start off by preheating your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

Next with a sharp knife, score the skin and fat of the lamb shoulder, but not into the meat, making a crosshatch pattern. Thankfully mine was already scored ready for me to cook.

Next mix the camomile, thyme, rosemary, sage and oregano in a bowl, then season with salt and black pepper.

Next Press a handful of the herb mixture into the lamb skin, rubbing it all over.

Next sprinkle some of the herb mixture in a casserole dish then place the lamb on top of it and drizzle the lemon juice over the lamb before sprinkling any remaining herb mixture.


Next drizzle the honey and olive oil over the top.

Next pour the water into the casserole dish then put the lid on.

Place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Check the dish after an hour, if the water has evaporated, add some more to maintain the dish moisture. My lamb joint was only 400 g so I only cooked it for around 50 minutes.

After 2 1/2 hours of cooking, remove from the oven and let it rest for 4-5 minutes.

Lastly to serve, pull large pieces of of lamb away from the bone, place on your plate and drizzle the meat with any meat juices remaining from the casserole dish. 

Serve with any vegetables of your choice, I served mine with mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli, peas, sprouts and Yorkshire puddings.

I was really nervous that I wouldn't like this recipe as I can't remember the last time that I had lamb but was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I'll definitely be cooking this again and possibly for more people, I loved the flavours on the lamb. I got this recipe from my diary so I can't add a link for you this time but all the ingredients and directions are as in my diary, I just had to modify my own recipe to fit with the size of the lamb joint that I had.
I really recommend giving this recipe a try if you enjoy lamb during the week or as part of your Sunday lunch.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment