Tuesday 8 September 2015

Baked Goods: Victoria Sponge Cake

Hello
An nyoung
Konnichiwa
Ni hao


There's not better feeling when you bake and it pretty much goes down a treat with everyone, I mentioned a few weeks ago that I baked shortbread for a close friends baby shower and it made my day that people couldn't get enough of them, I may say they're my speciality but it doesn't stop me from being nervous that people will like them, it really makes my day when I'm told what I've baked tastes good. A week before the baby shower I baked mini versions of the rainbow cake I made for a friend for her birthday, I spent all day being nervous as to me they weren't 100% as I didn't have enough icing sugar to make the amount of buttercream I wanted so worried that they would be too dry. All the hard work paid off when I received a message from both her and her other half saying how awesome they were, things like that always make the worry and stress worth it. I've been known to seriously stress when it doesn't go 100% what can I say I'm a perfectionist when it comes to baking and want nothing but the best end result. 
This week I'm sharing with you the recipe I use for Victoria Sponge Cake, I often alternate when I make this with either doing the usual two cakes or adding an extra cake and making it a three layer cake. I also changed up my cream filling flavour. Shall we start?
Ingredients:
225g butter
(I use baking butter)
225 caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour

300ml extra thick double cream
2.5 tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp salted caramel flavouring

Strawberries
Raspberries


I started by preheating the oven to 180 (fan assisted over) (350F/Gas 4), then I greased and lined two 20cm sandwich cake tins with baking parchment.

Using an electric hand held whisk I creamed the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, until pale and fluffy.


Next I added the eggs one at a time and mixed each time before adding the next egg.




Then I added the vanilla extract and mixed again.

Finally I added half of the flour and mixed until combined then added the second half of the flour and mixed again till combined.


Divide the mixture between the two cake tins, I used a ladle to do this to try and give both tins the same amount of mixture and using the back of a tbsp I spread the mixture round trying to coat the tin evenly.


Then I placed them in the oven for 25 minutes, I always insert a small knife into the centre of the cake to make sure it's cooked fully.

While I left them to cool I started on my filling.

In a bowl I placed the extra thick double cream, the icing sugar and the salted caramel flavouring and mixed until a thick cream, kind of like a buttercream consistency.


Next I prepared my berries, I chopped my raspberries in half and cut the tops off my strawberries then chopped them in half. I always buy two packets of strawberries that way I can select the best strawberries out of the packs.

Next it's time to decorate the cake.

I spread the salted caramel cream on the bottom tier of the cake.

I then placed my berries decoratively around the cake, going round the cake with strawberries, then raspberries and continuing till I'd filled the the cake and cream.

On the bottom of the top cake I spread raspberry jam so the top cake would sit on the berries a bit better.

Finally using a tiny sieve I dusted the the top of the cake with icing sugar and placed two full strawberries in the centre.



I love making Victoria Sponge Cakes, they're great all year round and for any occasion and a slice goes well with a cup of tea, plus they are quick and easy if it's your first baking attempt. Now it's time to start brain storming what to bake next for you all. Anything you want me to bake leave a comment below, until next time.
See you soon!



An nyoung 
Sayonara 
Zai Jian 
Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment