Friday 5 July 2024

Meatballs

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


I've made lasagne and bolognaise in the past from scratch and we have had meatballs before, but I've never actually made them myself from scratch. So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try making my own.

Let's get cooking!

Ingredients:
Meatballs:
1 lightly packed cup of diced white sandwich bread.
1 small onion
400g beef mince
100g pork mince
1 egg
1.5 tbsp dried parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Sauce:
2.5 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup onion, diced
700g tomato passata
1/2 cup water
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tsp Italian herb mix
1 tsp salt
Black pepper

Grate the onion for the meatballs until you have 1/2 a cup and pop it into a bowl, along with the juices.

Add bread to the onions and mix together so the juice soaks the bread and disintegrates. Once done pop it to one side.

Next add all the remaining meatball ingredients and use your hands to mix together.

Measure out a heaped tablespoon and roll it lightly to form a ball and repeat with the remaining mixture. I used an ice cream scoop to make sure they were all a similar size.

Heat 1.5 tbsp olive oil in a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown all over - around 3-4 minutes. Once browned, but not cooked through set them to one side. I cooked mine in batches.


Now onto the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large non-stick pan. Then add the onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.

Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down to medium low.

Carefully transfer the meatballs and any juices to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes. Make sure to turn and stir occasionally.

While to meatballs cook, cook your pasta of choice.

Serve the meatballs and sauce on the pasta.



This recipe was really easy to follow, I was expecting it to be really messy and time consuming, which it wasn't.
This has become a favourite of ours, the flavours are perfect and I personally think that they're better than shop bought meatballs. The hint of cheese in the meatballs is perfect and they're really juicy. I didn't have any red pepper flakes, so I used chilli flakes, which gave the sauce a nice kick.
I'm cooking this recipe again this week and I can't wait to get tucked in to it again.

If you've never made meatballs from scratch before, then I really recommend this recipe. If you would like to follow the original recipe, then head over to recipetineats Italian Meatballs recipe page.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment