Monday 8 January 2024

My Top 20 K-pop Albums of 2023

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

My Top albums for 2023 was hard to decide on, because there were so many good albums that I had on repeat. There was so many comebacks for me in 2023, so many that I've now decided to take note of how many comebacks each month, and so far I already have 10 during January.
For me there weren't really any groups that disbanded that I really listen to, they were groups I know of but not groups I follow.
Sadly though for me, 2023, saw the passing of Astro member Moonbin, I'm a big fan of theirs, so I was heartbroken when I saw the news. My heart really went out to the members as well as his sister.

Some of the albums in this list were easy to pick and place into a position, I also think for me there are some unexpected albums as they've never appeared on my Top albums lists before.

Please remember that this list is only based on my own personal tastes and opinion. I know what I've enjoyed won't be to everyone's tastes, so please no hate just because you may have loved something more than I did.

NO.20
Google Images
Coming in at No.20 we have Jessica with her 4th mini album, and her first album release since her 2017, 10-year anniversary album.
The more I listened to this album, the more I fell in love with it, and while it's mainly in English, it doesn't take away from the fact that she is one of the 9 reasons I started listening to K-pop 11 years ago.
Beep Beep
Owned by Coridel Entertainment
Get It Got It Good (Feat. Amber Liu)
Owned by Coridel Entertainment

N0.19
Google Images
Coming in at No.19, we have Jimin and his solo debut mini album Face.
Out of the BTS members making their solo debuts in 2023, Jimin's was my favourite. For me each track really stuck out and was memorable.
Like Crazy
Owned by Big Hit Music
Face-Off
Owned by Big Hit Music

NO.18
Google Images
Coming in at No.18, we have Purple Kiss and their 5th mini album Cabin Fever.
I've pretty much liked Purple Kiss since their debut, but they've never succeeded in getting into my top albums list, until 2023. This album is such a good album, I loved each track. There were some tracks that really blew me away as I forgot who I was listening to.
Sweet Juice
Owned by RBW
Autopilot
Owned by RBW

NO.17
Google Images
Coming in at No.17, we have THE BOYZ with their 2nd full album Phantasy Pt.2: Sixth Sense.
I love when THE BOYZ do bright concepts but for me it's their darker concepts that pull me in more. Watch It definitely has to be one of my favourite title tracks and it really sets the whole album.
Watch It
Owned by IST Entertainment
Honey
Owned by IST Entertainment

NO.16
Google Images
Coming in at No.16, we have Dreamcatcher and their 9th mini album VillainS.
Dreamcatcher have not appeared on top albums chart since 2020. They never fail to surprise me and while I love their rocky sounding title tracks, OOTD has definitely peaked and become my favourite title track from them.
OOTD
Owned by Dreamcatcher Company
Rising
Owned by Dreamcatcher Company

NO.15
Google Images
Coming in at No.15, is Xdinary Heroes and their 4th mini album Livelock.
I was pleasantly surprised with this album, while I've liked their releases in the past, this one is definitely my favourite release of theirs.
Break the Brake
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Freddy
Owned by JYP Entertainment

NO.14
Google Images
Coming in at No.14, we have The Rose with their 2nd full length album Dual.
This is the first time I've sat and listened to a The Rose album, and I've been missing out. This album is amazing, I loved each of the tracks, they're really catchy and I always find myself singing along.
Back To Me
Owned by Windfall
Nauseous
Owned by Windfall

NO.13
Google Images
Coming in at No.13, we have ATEEZ with their 11th mini album The World Ep.2: Outlaw.
This album was definitely my favourite release if theirs in 2023. From start to finish this album is amazing, each track fits perfectly and really showcases ATEEZ at their best.
Bouncy (K-Hot Chilli Peppers)
Owned by KQ Entertainment
This World
Owned by KQ Entertainment

NO.12
Google Images
Coming in at No.12, we have Lee Chaeyeon and her 2nd mini album Over The Moon.
Chaeyeon was one of my favourite debuts in 2022, so I knew I'd be keeping an eye on her in 2023 and I'm glad I did. I loved this mini album each track stands out and shows she's good at what she does.
Knock
Owned by WM Entertainment
I Don't Wanna Know
Owned by WM Enterainment

NO.11
Google Images
Coming in at No.11 and just missing out on my Top 10, we have KINGDOM and their 7th mini album, History of Kingdom: Part VII. Jahan.
This album was the perfect way to conclude their History of Kingdom album series, I loved how the title track connected their past releases. They really are such an underrated group and each album proves that.
쿠데타 (COUP D’ETAT)
Owned by GF Entertainment
On My Way
Owned by GF Entertainment

NO.10
Google Images
Coming in at No.10, we have Kim Woojin and his 2nd mini album The Moment: Bounce.
We waited just over 2 years for this release and it was definitely worth it, and I have to say it's better than his debut mini album.
On My Way
Owned by 10x Entertainment
Song of Icarus
Owned by 10x Entertainment

NO.9
Google Images
Coming in at No.9, with their debut mini album is ZEROBASEONE and Youth In The Shade.
I only ever saw snippets of Boys Planet, after I-Land, I don't think I could get attached to the participants again. But I decided to check out their debut mini album and was in love from the first listen. They're definitely one of my favourite debuts of 2023.
In Bloom
Owned by WakeOne
New Kidz On The Block
Owned by WakeOne

NO.8
Google Images
Coming in at No.8, we have Tomorrow X Together and their 3rd full length album The Name Chapter: Freefall.
This is definitely my favourite release of theirs so far, their vocals on this album are so good, they blew me away.
Chasing That Feeling
Owned by Big Hit Music
Skipping Stones
Owned by Big Hit Music

NO.7
Google Images
Coming in at No.7, we have Moonbin & Sanha with their 3rd mini album Incense.
For 2023, Moobin and Sanha, have jumped up 5 spots from 2022, showing each release got better and better. I love this album, each track is different and showcases their talents perfectly. I'm just heartbroken that this is to be their final release as a unit.
Madness
Owned by Fantagio
Perfumer
Owned by Fantagio

NO.6
Google Images
Coming in at No.6, we have Seventeen and their 11th mini album Seventeenth Heaven.
There's so many different aspects and emotions to this album, you can tell it's their last full group release before they start their military enlistments. You can tell they really put their all into this album and it seems it's more like a gift to fans than a typical album release.
음악의 신 (God of Music)
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
Diamond Days
Owned by Pledis Entertainment

NO.5
Google Images
Coming in at No.5, we have ENHYPEN and their 5th mini album Orange Blood.
While I loved both album releases in 2023, for me Orange Blood just beat out Dark Blood, as much as I love Bite Me, overall I preferred all the tracks on Orange Blood more.
Sweet Venom
Owned by Be:Lift
Blind
Owned by Be:Lift

NO.4
Google Images
Coming in at No.4 and just missing out on my top 3, is Stray Kids and their 8th mini album Rock-Star.
Each year they make their way up my album list, back in 2019, they peaked at No.8 and have been slowly rising higher. While I always love their albums, someone always tends to just pass them. So far 2023 is the highest they've been in my top album list. Rock-Star is definitely my favourite release from them and hopefully they come to the UK on tour so I can see them perform in live.
락 (樂) (LALALALA)
Owned by JYP Entertainment
Blind Spot
Owned by JYP Entertainment

Normally at this point I carry on my chart but, I going to change it up this time and I'll share with you the Honourable Mentions that just mist out on making my list but deserve a mention because they're just amazing albums. So before I get into the albums that made my Top 3, here are my honourable mentions.

Eric Nam - House On A Hill
Owned by Eric Nam

VIXX - Continuum
Owned by Jellyfish Entertainment

ILY:1 - A Dream of ILY:1
Owned by FC ENM

BXB - Chapter 1. Our Youth
Owned by Wolfburn

NO.3
Google Images
Coming in at No.3, we have Seventeen with their 10th mini album FML.
I try to only have one album per artist in my list but this year has been Seventeen's year for music, this album is perfect. I also present to you MAMA 2023's Album of the Year. I cried so much when they won, Seventeen always have such amazing albums.
손오공 (Super)
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
I Don't Understand But I Luv U
Owned by Pledis Entertainment

NO.2
Google Images
Coming in at No.2 we have Forestella with their 3rd mini album Unfinished.
I have such a soft spot for Forestella, I'm not normally into a more classical sound, but there's something about this group that I fall in love with them with each song. I could listen to this album on repeat all day. If you haven't I highly recommend checking them out.
Snow Globe
Owned by Beat Interactive
포레스텔라 Forestella  
White Night (Remaster Ver.)
Owned by Beat Interactive

It's time.
DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

NO.1
Google Images
Coming in at No.1, we have (G)I-DLE with their 6th mini album I Feel.
With how many times I listened to this album, it was obvious that this needed to be my No.1 album of 2023. Each track is amazing and I was lucky enough to get to go see them play the Wembley Arena in London, which made me love this album even more. I would say if you've never listened to (G)I-DLE, then this album is a good place to start.
퀸카 (Queencard)
Owned by Cube Entertainment
Allergy
Owned by Cube Entertainment
All Night
Owned by Cube Entertainment

So there you have it, that's my Top 20 K-pop Albums of 2023. I'm looking forward to what 2024 brings to the K-pop world. I'm looking forward to all the comebacks and debuts we may have.
I'm hoping that I finally have K-pop concerts to go to this year, sadly 2023, didn't work for K-pop concerts last year, the only one we had was (G)I-DLE, so thankfully that was amazing. I've never been to a show where the group are drowned out by the audience singing along. We even got to upgrade and go into the soundcheck, which I've never done before.
We;re off to see Eric Nam in March and I can't wait, and both ATEEZ and Stray Kids have announced upcoming world tours so hopefully the UK is one of the stops.

2024 let's get it!

Who had the No.1 spot for you?
Which albums were your favourite in 2023?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment