Friday 13 October 2023

Heaven Official's Blessing Volume 4 - Book Review

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


Heaven Official's Blessing is a Chinese BL novel written by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu, it's also known by it's Chinese name Tian Guan Ci Fu.

Mo Xiang Tong Xiu is a globally renowned author whose works are often cited as the best-known in the modern danmei genre. Originally self-published via the novel serialization website, JJWXC, her current titles include The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, and Heaven Official's Blessing. All three series' received multiple adaptations and have been published in numerous languages around the world.

In China BL is known as Danmei, the novel was first published in 2017, on JinJiang Literature City, a popular Chinese website for publishing and serializing online fiction.

Though not chronologically, the novel and book series, follows Xie Lian, a once human crown prince of the kingdom of Xianle in the east who ascends to godhood at seventeen, after dedicating himself to cultivation and martial training. During the inaugural years of his divinity, his kingdom experiences upheavel and war, due in part to draught and a terrifying new disease. Going against the edicts of both the heavenly realm and of fate, Xie Lian involves himself in the affairs of the mortals who have always loved and supported him, hoping to achieve peace and relieve suffering in his kingdom. Unfortunately, his appearance in the mortal world only amplifies the conflicts between his people and their desperation leads to the dramatic and abrupt downfall of Xianle, as well as the downfall of Xie Lian. The people destroy his temples, statues and abandoning him as their most respected religious figure and earning him the reputation of a God of Misfortune.

The novel is being officially translated into English by Seven Seas Entertainment, with the 4th volume being published on the 27th of September 2022.

Fates Aligned, Bodies Intertwined.
The Reverend of Empty Words, a monster that feeds off the fears of the fortunate, is hunting Xie Lian's friend, the wind master Shi Qingxuan.
Knowing that his abysmal luck inoculates him from the creatures power, Xie Lian doesn't hesitate to throw himself into harms way - to Hua Cheng's horror and panic. But another one of the four calamities may be closer than anyone knows, and even a ghost as powerful as Hua Cheng can lose control under the right circumstances. With his inhibitions gone, will desire overtake him?


While I loved volume 4, I've not started volume 5 just yet for 2 reasons, 1 - because I read each volume way too quick and the last 2 volumes are still yet to be published and 2 - because I finished this volume heartbroken and too scared to find out what has become of one of the main characters within volume 4.
This was such a good volume, as always I couldn't put it down and completed it pretty quickly, the more I read, the more I could feel my heart breaking for everyone involved. I loved that we were introduced to even more characters, as well as being shocked by characters we've known from the very first volume.
I've clearly been affected by the things happening in this volume as now I think I'll question all characters old and new, in whether they can be trusted, I also think volume 4 really solidifies Xie Lian as the god of misfortune.
I now feel I'm ready to get stuck into volume 5 and see what will happen, I'm curious to see if volume 5 will take us back into the past too, to find out more about about the final of the four calamities, which we have already unofficially met all 4 of them.
Like with the previous volumes, the artwork is stunning, and I always look forward to having a quick look through at all the artwork first before getting stuck into the novel itself.









I have started volume 5, but I'm taking it slowly this time round as the final volume is set to be released in December. I will definitely be getting my hands on Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's other novels. 

Have you red volume 4 of Heaven Official's Blessing?
What were your thoughts?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment