Monday 29 August 2022

PENTAGON - POSITIVE

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


Wow! it's just over a year since I last shared a PENTAGON album with you, and this time I'm going to be sharing with you an album that had me curious about the group.

Positive is PENTAGON's 6th mini album and it is their last Korean release to feature past member E'Dawn before his departure from both the group and their company Cube Entertainment.

On the 29th of March 2018, the Positive Audio Snippet was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 31st of March 2018, the 빛나리 (Shine) M/V Teaser was released.
Owned by Cube Entertainment
On the 2nd of April 2018, the 빛나리 (Shine) M/V was released, along with the physical and digital release of their 6th mini album Positive.
Owned by Cube Entertainment

On the 11th of November 2018, the 빛나리 (Shine) M/V surpassed 100 million combined views via the 1theK and PENTAGON's official YouTube channels.

Kino, E'Dawn, Yuto and Wooseok wrote the lyrics for Off-Road, with Kino co-composing on the track,
E'Dawn, Hui, Yuto and Wooseok wrote the lyrics for 빛나리 (Shine), with Hui and E'Dawn co-composing on the track.
Jinho, E'Dawn, Yuto and Wooseok co-wrote on the lyrics for 생각해 (Think About You), with Jonho co-composing on the track.
E'Dawn, Wooseok and Yuto wrote the lyrics for 재밌겠다 (Do It For Fun), with E'Dawn co-composing on the track.
E'Dawn and Wooseok co-wrote on the lyrics for 보낼 수밖에 (Nothing I Can Do) and 함께 가자 우리 (Let's Go Together), with E'Dawn co-composing on the latter.

Positive peaked at No.6 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.4 on the Oricon Albums Chart and No.9 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales = 52,488+
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for 빛나리 (Shine) has so far gained 14,561,729 million views through their official YouTube channel and 240,944,300 million views through the 1theK YouTube channel, giving the M/V a combined view count of 255,506,029 million views. The views still continue to increase rapidly on a daily basis.

Positive is set out in a hardback book style case and comes with the Cd, 2 photo books and a random photo card.
The Cd plate is also random.

Track List:
Off-Road
빛나리 (Shine)
생각해 (Think About You)
재밌겠다 (Do It For Fun)
보낼 수밖에 (Nothing I Can Do)
함께 가자 우리 (Let's Go Together)




































































I bought my copy pre-owned so it's missing the photo card, but when I first bought this album, I was only just a casual listener of PENTAGON, and my introduction to them was 빛나리 (Shine), so I came in just as everything as about to come out about E'Dawn and Hyuna.
I love how simple and casual the photo books are, it kind of gave me a vintage vibe.
To say I was only a casual listener to begin with, starts from this album, I really loved all the tracks but I just didn't want a new group to start following, and because of Cube, by their next release, I felt that I wasn't interested.

I love the intro for Off-Road and I love how their vocals perfectly fit the melody. Each of the members stand out, I love how spring/summery this track sounds.
Off-Road

As soon as 빛나리 (Shine) starts, whether you know PENTAGON or not, you know this track, it's such a pivotal song for them in their career, it got people's attention. It's such a catchy song and it's the reason why I wanted to buy this album. This is one of those songs that you can't help but sing and dance along. I love the fact that I've seen them perform this song live, even if members were missing.
빛나리 (Shine)

The intro for 생각해 (Think About You) gives me a retro vibe and it makes me think 90's/00's boyband feels. I love the melody for this track and their vocals and raps fit the flow perfectly, it really shows how they fit together perfectly.
생각해 (Think About You)

From the intro, you know that 재밌겠다 (Do It For Fun) is going to be an awesome song. I love how simple the melody seems to be meaning the rap line can really shine. I love the different contrasts between their voices from E'Dawn's higher vocal tones, compared Yuto and Wooseok's deeper voices. This is definitely one of my favourite tracks from this album.
재밌겠다 (Do It For Fun)

I won't deny that PENTAGON has some of my favourite vocalists, I've been in love with Jinho and Hui's voices and vocal talents for a while now, but I love that ballads like 보낼 수밖에 (Nothing I Can Do), showcase that they all have such stunning and amazing voices and vocal ranges. They really compliment one another then they sing together. I love the contrast between the vocals and the raps, it really shows they were and are a perfect team of singers, rappers, idols and more importantly artists.
보낼 수밖에 (Nothing I Can Do)

Straight away, I knew I was going to love 함께 가자 우리 (Let's Go Together), I love the vibe of it, it's such a bright and uplifting track, and the perfect track to end this album with. No matter how many times I listen to this song, it makes me smile.
함께 가자 우리 (Let's Go Together)

I think this is a good introduction to PENTAGON, I do wish I had stuck with them and not let Cube ruin my interest then in them. Also not to sound too mean for the UNIVERSE that have been with them since the start, while I love E'Dawn's voice and thought they made the perfect team vocally, from their most recent releases; which is where I started to pay more attention to them. I still think they sound the perfect team without him, while I miss his unique voice, they still sound amazing as a whole group.
I think this was the perfect song swan release for Dawn (even though at the time, we didn't know that would be the case). I still follow Dawn's solo career and I've really liked his solo work.

If you haven't seen PENTAGON live, if you get the chance to go see them, I saw them in London at the MIK Festival, and seeing them live made me even more of a fan, their vocals are amazing live and they have such an amazing stage presence. From the video's I took it seems I even overshadowed my friend MK's screams and cheers and they're her main favourite group from K-pop. I hope they return to do their own main tour sometime in the future.

Were you a fan of Positive?
Do you have a physical copy?
What were your thoughts on 빛나리 (Shine) as the title track?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment