Monday 8 March 2021

WEi - IDENTITY: First Sight

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)


WEi are a 6-member South Korean boy group formed by Oui Entertainment, all 6 members have participated in survival shows in the bid to debut.
The WEi members are:
Jang Dae Hyeon
Google Images

Kim Dong Han
Google Images

Yoo Yong Ha
Google Images

Kim Yo Han
Google Images

Kang Seok Hwa
Google Images

Kim Jun Seo
Google Images

Before I fully get into WEi, for those unfamiliar with the group and members allow me to give you a bit of history about the members.
Both Jang Dae Hyeon and Kim Dong Han both participated in the second season of the Produce 101 survival show, the second season saw the group Wanna One, both Dae Hyeon and Dong Han were eliminated but both later made a debut under different groups.
Dae Hyeon debuted in Rainz with 6 other former Produce 101 contestants, they officially disbanded in 2018.
Dong Han debuted in JBJ with 5 other former Produce 101 contestants, they officially disbanded in 2018.
Both Yoo Yong Ha and Kin Jun Seo both participated in the survival show Under Nineteen, this show saw the group 1the9 debut, with both Yong Ha and Jun Seo winning a place in the groups line-up. 1the9 officially disbanded in 2020.
Kang Seok Hwa participated on YG's Treasure Box, but didn't make the final line-up, he later participated on Produce X 101, which saw the group X1 debut, he participated alongside Kim Yo Han, with the latter taking first place and debuting in the group.
Due to Mnet being accused of rigging votes X1 was disbanded just 5 months after debut.

Now back to WEi and their debut mini album IDENTITY: First Sight.
In May 2020, Oui Entertainment announced that they would be debuting a group, with the release of individual profile videos, under the temporary name OUIBOY'S, it was later revealed they would debut under the name WEi.
On the 10th of July 2020, the Official Image Film was releaed.
Owned by Oui Euntertainment
2 months later on the 11th of September 2020, the IDENTITY: First Sight Trailer was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 14th September 2020, the first Teaser Images were released.
On the 15th of September 2020, the Promotion image was released.
On the 16th of September 2020, the Concept Image (i Ver.) for Dae Hyeon, Yo Han and Jun Seo were released.

On the 17th of September 2020, the Concept Image (i Ver.) for Dong Han, Yong Ha and Seok Hwa were released.

On the 18th of September 2020, the group and unit Concept Image (i Ver.) were released.


On the 21st of September 2020, the Concept Image (WE Ver.) for Dae Hyeon, Yo Han and Jun Seo were released.

On the 23rd of September 2020, the Concept Image (WE Ver.) for Dong Han, Yong Ha and Seok Hwa were released.

On the 24th of September 2020, the group Concept Image (WE Ver.) was released.
On the 25th of September 2020, the Track List was released.
On the 28th of September 2020, the 'Twilight' M/V Teaser 1 was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 29th of September 2020, the IDENTITY: First Sight Highlight Medley was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 4th of October 2020, the 'Twilight' M/V Teaser 2 was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 5th of October 2020, the M/V was released for 'Twilight' along with the physical and digital release of their debut mini album IDTENTITY: First Sight.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 12th of October 2020, the 'Twilight' M.V (Close-Up Ver.) was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 16th of October 2020, the 'Twilight' M/V (Performance Ver.) was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 19th of October 2020, the 'Twilight' Dance Practice Video was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 30th of October 2020, the 'Twilight' Dance Practice (Halloween Ver.) was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 16th of November 2020, the 'Twilight' Dance Practice (Part Switch Ver.) was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment
On the 23rd of November 2020, the 'Twilight' Dance Practice Video (Mission Ver.) was released.
Owned by Oui Entertainment

Dae Hyeon and Yo Han co-wrote on the tracks Doremifa and 꼬리별 (Timeless).
Dae Hyeon co-wrote on title track Twilight.
Dae Hyeon, Ding Han and Jun Seo co-wrote on track 안고 싶어 (Hug You).
Finally Dae Hyeon and Seok Hwa co-wrote on 도화선 (Fuze), with Dae Hyeon also co-composing on the track as well as being credited as the producer.

IDENTITY: First Sight peaked at No.3 on the Gaon Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales 67,501+ so far.
*YouTube views correct at time of post*
Through WEi's official YouTube channel the Twilight M/V has gained 15,089,581 million views, while through the 1theK YouTube channel the M/V has gained 1,212,055 million views, giving Twilight a combined view count of 16,301,636 million.

IDENTITY: First Sight is released in 2 versions: WE and i.
Both versions are set out in a card slipcase and comes with the Cd, photo book with a random cover, accordion booklet, random folded poster, random bookmark, random postcard, random polaroid card and 2 random photo cards.
Both versions have different album covers and photo books.

Track List:
Twilight
Doremifa
 꼬리별 (Timeless)
안고 싶어 (Hug You)
도화선 (Fuze) Prod. by Jang Dae Hyeon






































































When WEi made their debut, I was only familiar with Kim Dong Han as I had heard his solo stuff especially his title track Focus, but I did know of JBJ, Rainz, 1the9 and X1. I  actually came to like WEi during their promotions on music programmes especially The Show, M Countdown and Music Bank as I can easily watch those shows live online as well as Simply K-pop. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy their album.
I love the layout of the album and it didn't take me too long to put names to faces, so I was happy that pretty much all of my pulls were members I'd learnt pretty quickly.

I think Twilight was a perfect song for them to debut with as it really gets to showcase their vocals as well as raps, especially for someone like me that wasn't familiar with the members beforehand. I love the melody for the song and I have to say I especially love the chorus, I always enjoy listening to this track.
Twilight

I love the melody for Doremifa, for me this track is perfect all of their voices, especially for Yo Han and Seok Hwa's vocal tones. I was clueless at what Doremifa meant until I looked up the lyrics and realised it's Do-Re-Mi-Fa. It's such a cute little song that I think is perfect for young love.
Doremifa

As soon as 꼬리별 (Timeless) starts you know it's going to be an amazing track. I think the melody and the vocals are stunning. I think I can honestly say that this is one of my favourite tracks on the album.
꼬리별 (Timeless)

For me 안고 싶어 (Hug You) shows me what I've been missing by not watching each of the members grow during their trainee days, this track also shows me how well vocally these members are, they're the perfect puzzle together, they fit together perfectly. For me there is no one that is missing from WEi and no-one that doesn't belong within the group. I absolutely adore this track, I love the melody, the vocals, the rap and the harmonisation.
안고 싶어 (Hug You)

I think we're in for great things whenever a WEi track says produced by Jang Dae Hyeon, 도화선 (Fuze) is just the start, a taste of what's to come further into WEi's career. This track shows how talented Dae Hyeon is, not only with lyrics but as a composer and a producer.
I love the this track, I think it gives off an amazing WEi vibe and style and I hope we see more of these tracks in the future.
도화선 (Fuze)

I'm so happy that I decided to check out WEi so early in their career, because it means I don't miss out on how they grow, develop and change as a group. I came into WE's world only know who Dong Han was, my eyes were firmly set upon him, that is until I got to get know the other members and see how talented they all are.
All 6 of the members are amazing vocalists, rappers and dancers and I can see them going far, for a debut album it's amazing, just from this album alone, I'm in love with all their voices especially Seok Hwa's.

I may have joined this group with Dong Han as my bias but now I've come away with 3 biases and 3 bias wreckers, I'm sure with each comeback it could all change but for now my Ultimate Bias of WEi has to be Kang Seok Hwa, my eyes always seem to be drawn to him.

I can't wait to see more from WEi and I can see them becoming a group that will always blow me away and keep me on my toes.

Were you a fan of IDENTITY: First Sight?
Do you have a physical copy?
Which version did you choose?
What were your thoughts on Twilight as the title track?
Do you have a favourite from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment