Sunday 22 November 2020

Korean Drama - Flower of Evil

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

Flower of Evil is a 2020 South Korean suspense melodrama written by Yoo Jung-hee and directed by Kim Cheol-kyu.
It aired for 16 episodes, starting on the 29th of July and concluding on the 23rd of September.

Main Cast:
Lee Joon Gi as Baek Hee Sung/Do Hyun Soo
Google Images

Park Hyun Joon as Young Do Hyun Soo
Google Images

Moon Chae Won as Cha Ji Won
Google Images

Jang Hee Jin as Do Hae Soo
Google Images

Lim Nayoung as Young Hae Soo
Google Images

Seo Hyun Woo as Kim Moo Jin
Google Images

Jeong Taek Hyun as Young Kim Moo Jin
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Jung Seo Yeon as Baek Eun Ha
Google Images

Son Jong Hak as Baek Man Woo
Google Images

Nam Gi Ae as Gong Mi Ja
Google Images

Jo Kyung Sook as Moon Young Ok
Google Images

Choi Dae Hoon as Lee Woo Cheol
Google Images

Choi Young Joon as Choi Jae Sub
Google Images

Kim Soo Oh as Im Ho Joon
Google Images

Choi Byung Mo as Do Min Seok
Google Images

Kim Ki Moo as Yeom Sang Cheol
Google Images

Kim Ji Hoon as Baek Hee Sung
Google Images

In Korea the series aired on tvN, while it streamed internationally on iQIY, Viki and viuTV with multi-languages subtitles.

Check out the trailer below.

I absolutely adored the OST for this drama, it had such a mix of songs.
Doko - Psycho

Lim Yeon - In My Heart

Shin Yong Jae - Feel You

On the outside, Baek Hee Sung looks like the ideal husband. A hard-working craftsman, his metal-working studio has met with it's fair share of success. Able to provide a good life for his wife and daughter, he's an exemplary example of what a husband should be, but his accolades don't stop there, as comfortable working around the house as he is working in his studio, Hee Sung can as easily fill the roles od father and husband as he can business owner and craftsman.
But his perfect exterior hides some very dark secrets, secrets he would rather his detective wife, Cha Ji Won, never learn.

Google Images

Flower of Evil has to be not only one of my favourite dramas of 2020, but also one of my favourite dramas overall, for me it took every twist and turn that I was not expecting. I loved the cast as well as the script and plot, I was never left disappointed, for me you got proper closure to the series. I will honestly say though that this series was definitely not what I was expecting, I personally think it was so much more and so much better then I was expecting and thinking it would be.
I don't think anyone could have played the male lead as well as Lee Joon Gi did, while I've never sat and watched any of his dramas until Flower of Evil, I knew of him and do have his dramas on my to watch list. On first impressions for me he was perfect for this role because I think on first impressions he does look cold and reserved but soon as he smiles his features just warm up, which for Baek Hee Sung is spot on. He doesn't half take us on a journey and I won't deny that he had me holding my breath at times with the suspense.
Flower of Evil is my introduction to Moon Chae Won and I loved her chemistry with Lee Joon Gi. Cha Ji Won is a strong independent woman, that isn't scared to go after what she wants, that is until her world comes crashing down and she begins to second guess everything she thinks, does and feels, so much so at times she does things to try and get a reaction for all to be revealed.
Jang Hee Jin as Do Hae Soo is your typical loving big sister that will do anything to protect her younger brother, as you get to know her you realise she lives her life the way she does because she doesn't believe she deserves to have a happy and fulfilled life, it was nice to see her character grow while still being able to protect her brother.
I think Seo Hyun Woo as Kim Moo Jin for me is the reason we start to learn about everyone's past, I think his character also adds some of the comedic value to the series, Kim Moo Jin is hard-working and while he judges people on how others think, especially when he was younger, I think coming back into contact with Baek Hee Sung aka Do Hyun Soo and Do Hae Soo, he learns that his judgements were far from reality, something he begins to try and rectify, when that past starts to rear it's scary head again.
For me Jung Seo Yeon as Baek Eun Ha really stole the show, she was so cute and for her age such an amazing actress, the difference in how she reacted to her parents was so funny, I loved how blunt she was at times, and she was able to make some of the characters lower their guards.
Son Jong Hak and Nam Gi Ae are your typical parents that will do anything to protect their children, even when their secret becomes deadly, while Baek Man Woo is a stern father, he will stop at nothing to take away the threat to his family and refuses to accept reality, while as a mother Gong Mi Ja shows a hard exterior, while on the inside she often second guesses if what they are doing is right.
Choi Young Joon as Choi Jae Sub, like Moo Jin added some comedy to the series, he thinks as a detective his way is the right way and at times refuses to admit defeat, pointing out as he's the elder he doesn't need to, I think his relationship with Ji Won is not only that of colleagues, they view each other as friends and family, which is why they're often at loggerheads at work as their detective styles are different, even when he finds certain things out, he still tries to protect Ji Won's reputation.
Kim Soo Oh as Im Ho Joon is like the child in the middle of divorcing parents, with how often Jae Sub and Ji Won ask him whose side he's on when it comes to their work, which I think is funny, you can tell he looks up to both of them and aspires to be like them both rather than just one. Towards the end we get to see how he reacts to some of his actions and shows that while he's good at his job, those first times can really take a toll on your conscience.
This is my 2nd drama with Kim Ki Moo, the first time I watched him was in D-Day and I have to say it was nice to see him in a completely different role. I think Yeom Sang Cheol is a character that you don't expect to connect everything and everyone together.
Without giving too much away, Kim Ji Hoon was astounding in his role, I definitely didn't expect his story and background to be the way it was.

The soundtrack for this series is amazing, even if it only has 3 songs, those songs really help you feel the emotion the characters are feeling, even now when I listen to the songs, I feel like I'm being sucked right back into those scenes. 
I can't help applauding this drama because it took me on such an exciting and emotional journey, I'd happily sit and watch it again and I highly recommend others to take the time to sit and watch it.

Google Images

Have you watched Flower of Evil?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the script and plot?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment