Friday 13 November 2020

Japanese Drama - You Are My Destiny

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

You  Are My Destiny is a 2020 Japanese romantic comedy drama.
The series was directed by Katsutashi Hirabayashi and Takashi Ninomiya, the series is adapted from the Taiwanese drama Fated To Love You from 2008.
The series aired for 10 episodes, from the 12th of February and concluded on the 8th of April.

Main Cast:
Takimoto Miori as Satoh Aya
Google Images

Kizu Takumi as Ichijo Kei
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Ishikawa Ren as Shiraishi Anna
Google Images

Tokito Yuki as Okamoto Hayato
Google Images

Tajima Reiko as Ichijo Reiko (Kei's Grandmother)
Google Images

Nakabayashi Taiki as Ando (Kei's Secretary)
Google Images

Noro Kayo as Miki (Aya's Sister)
Google Images

Ando Sei as Aya's Sister
Google Images

Nakajima Shoko as Aya's Mother
Google Images

Takemori Sento as Chikara (Aya's Brother-In-Law)
Google Images

Yamagami Kenji as Ruru (Chikara's uncle)
Google Images

Iwatani Kenji as Doctor
Google Images

Mizuishi Atomu as Yamaguchi (Aya's Colleague)
Google Images

I loved that they used the same song for both the opening and ending credits.
ONE N' ONLY - My Love

Mild-mannered and friendly, Satoh Aya may not stand out in a crowd but that's never really bothered her. Living a very ordinary life, she works as a temporary employee at a large office, where she's known for her ability to communicate any idea with a single sticky note. Never really expecting fate to play a role in her simple, ordinary life, Aya lived each day very much like the last, completely unaware that her destiny was about to change forever.
The young successor of a large company, Ichijo Kei, was the ideal son. Handsome and successful, Kei was everything his family hoped he would be and as such, he spent his life adored by his grandmother, the chairman. Always eager to please the woman who gave him so much, Kei was a little shocked when his grandmother told him to marry early, but he was willing to do so, to make her happy. There was just one problem, none of the women in his life were able to really capture his attention, let alone his heart.
But all that changed, the day Aya walked into his life.

Google Images

It was from watching the trailer on Viki's Facebook page that I decided to give this drama a watch, while I loved the drama itself as well as the casting, I was left a little underwhelmed by the end of the final episode as I felt it was a little rushed and felt that we never really got any closure as to what happened to the main cast as a couple, I would have loved to see a time jump, to see how the characters had developed off screen. I won't lie there are moments that I found really absurd and I'm sure other people did too, but other than that I really enjoyed this drama as a whole.
Unbeknown to me while watching You Are My Destiny, I also started watching Peanut Butter Sandwich and couldn't put my finger on why I recognised one of the actresses, and that was because I was watching Takimoto Miori. I thought she did amazing in her role as Satoh Aya, Aya is a girl that cares more about making others happy rather than making sure she herself is happy, she really is naive in all aspects of her life, especially when it comes to guys and love.
I really enjoyed watching Kizu Takumi in his role as Ichijo Kei, and would love to see more of his roles. In some aspects of his life I think Kei is also naive, especially when it comes to money, he seems to often struggle letting people in as he thinks it's a ploy to get their hands on his money. I do think he struggles on letting things from his past go, and has your typical character development of learning to let go a little too late. I have to admit when it came to him making a very important decision, I felt really sorry for how much blame not only did the other characters place on him but, the blame he also placed on himself.
All dramas need a villain and Ishikawa Ren as Shiraishi Anna was for me the villain of this drama, while I felt sorry for her initially as the series started, I couldn't help but come to dislike her as the story developed, stopping at nothing to make sure Kei remained hers whether he wanted that or not.
Tokito Yuki as Okamoto Hayato was another good choice, he seems to be sweet and cares deeply for Aya, but sadly for him it's all one-sided, I think Aya at times gives him false hope, but that's because she's pretty clueless. He seems like someone you'd want in your own life to help you through the hard times.
Overall while this drama is short and sweet, I was still always counting down to when the next episodes would be ready and available for me to watch. I'd happily sit and watch this drama again, it had me laughing, crying and often in suspense.
I would love there to be a 2nd season that shows us how they've each grown and if things can be picked up where they were left off.

Have you watched You Are My Destiny?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Were you a fan of the plot and script?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment